PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone like to work on a comic?

Thayus
2007-11-27, 07:29 PM
I have an idea for a comic:

We'll start with an overweight nerd who goes by the name 'Roach'. (Goes by Roach because it's better than Gaylord von Fontlebottom and all the various nicknames that that little bit of preemptive parential revenge inspired.) Roach may or may not have Asperger's - he shows a lot of the signs, but how open, caring, and empathic would you be, given a childhood where being called 'Roach' is the best you could hope for?

With parents dead and inheritance tied up by lawyers, Roach is stuck in a dead-end bottom-rung-of-management night-shift job at La Cucaracha, a (fictional) sleazy little Tex-Mex restaurant on the edge of a (fictional) sleazy little town that Roach refers to as East Wetbackistan, Texas. Trying to save up money for another semester of college so that he can get an actual job somewhere.

I figure a few weeks of establishing his character, and exploiting, for cheap laughs, all of the horrifying things I saw as a night shift leader at my local (RESTAURANT NAME CENSORED).

Then a wizard from another world locks him in the meat-freezer one night, and the actual plot begins.

Magic is going to be mostly low-key unless you put in a lot of prep work or unless you know exactly what tiny low-key thing to do to catalyze a bigger effect. After mid-winter, story-time(it starts in early fall), the characters will shift over to the home-world of the wizard. Technology in this new world will be pre-industrial, in large part because guns never caught on and thus never inspired the casting of massive cannons, and civilizations will vary from tribalism and primitive feudalism to entrenched bureaucracy. I will try to avoid the fantasy stereotype of pseudo-Europe.

This is going to be a mostly serious comic, although if I see a joke that fits I'll probably include it.

So. I need someone who can draw. It doesn't need to be great drawing. Look at Howard Taylor's original some in the Schlock Mercenary archives. Not exactly great art, but the faces were distinctive, and avoided cheek-mouth. I'd like to manage a strip a day(3+ panels) in the beginning, if possible. If anyone's interested, drop me an e-mail. I'd like to get the strip officially started by early next year at the latest - New Year's Day would be great if I/we can figure out where to find free hosting and so forth.

-Albert

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-11-27, 07:37 PM
Try the arts and crafts forum. That's where the artists hang out.