PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Beast Conclave (Primal Companion) Ranger questions

PallyBass
2022-07-09, 03:07 PM
Question 1: Once the Ranger gains "Extra Attack" can they give up both of their attacks for their Primal Companion to attack twice, or is it only one?
I read off a D&D wiki (not the book, needs confirmation) an excerpt "In combat, the beast acts during your turn. It can move and use its reaction on its own, but the only action it takes is the Dodge action, unless you take a bonus action on your turn to command it to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action.".
I am not sure if I can only give up one or if I can give up both.

Question 2: Regarding the bonus action command that the Ranger can issue. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. It does not specify the Attack action, but If I use the statblock for the Primal Companions their only available actions are attacks. Does mean I can issue an attack command with the bonus action?

Question 3: The Ranger gains "Bestial Fury" at 11th level; when you command your beast companion to take the Attack action, the beast can make two attacks, or it can take the Multiattack action if it has that action.
Does this stack with multiple attack instances? i.e. Ranger uses bonus action to command the Primal Companion to attack= 2 attacks, then the Ranger uses their own Attack action and gives up one of their own attacks to make the Primal Companion attack again= 2 more attacks for a total of 4 attacks?

Question 4: Can people share their experience playing as/with someone who played as the Primal Companion variant of Beastmaster Ranger, was it fun?

Thanks Everyone!

Amnestic
2022-07-09, 03:19 PM
Came up recently in another thread here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?647219-Solved-Primal-Companion-Attacking-Twice).

The short answers to your question are:

1. You can't, because the companion still only has one Action a turn.
2. Yes, you can (other options for actions could include hide, dodge, or disengage).
3. See 1. It may only attack twice, because it can only take the Attack *action* once.
4. It's pretty neat!

Bobthewizard
2022-07-09, 03:20 PM
1. You aren't giving the companion an attack, you are letting it take the Attack action as its action. It gets one attack which will increase to two attacks at level 11. You can use either your bonus action or an attack to issue the command, but the companion still only gets one action just like every other creature. It's just without your command, that action is limited.

2. They can also use one of the other non-attack actions such as dodge, disengage, dash, grapple, shove, activate magic item (if possible for their form), etc. Your command removes the restriction they have without it.

3. Now they get 2 attacks when they take the attack action, but they still only get one action per round.

4. It's a good subclass now. Rangers aren't at the top of the power curve but they can contribute. The ability to use a single attack rather than a bonus action for the command makes a rogue multiclass better since you can attack, have the companion attack, and still use your cunning action.

PallyBass
2022-07-11, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys! I have an idea of a Wisdom based Ranger using Druidic warrior to grab shillelagh

NaughtyTiger
2022-07-11, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys! I have an idea of a Wisdom based Ranger using Druidic warrior to grab shillelagh

consider thorn whip, it will scale better and provides a little control.