PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Jackalfolk (Khenra) Race

werescythe
2022-07-09, 07:34 PM
So, this is my personal adaption of the Khenra race from the Plane Shift: Amonkhet setting. The Jackalfolk are designed to feel more canine in nature and less reliant of having twins and what not.

Khenra (Jackalfolk)
Racial Abilities:

Ability Score: Your Dexterity is increased by 1, your Wisdom is increased by 1 and your Strength is increased by 1 (Of course, if you have TCoE, then feel free to ignore this).
Age: Jackalfolk mature quickly, reaching adulthood in their early to mid-teens. It is very rare for them to live past 60 years old.
Size: Having a similar build to humans, Jackalfolk are medium sized creatures.
Speed: You have a base walking speed of 35ft.
Keen Senses: You have advantage on Wisdom (perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Khenra Pact Nature: If you can see another Jackalfolk within 60ft who is alive, whenever you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check or saving throw, you can reroll the die, but you must take the new roll. If there are no living Jackalfolk that you can see within 60ft of you, then you have advantage on saving throws against the frightened condition.
Deathly Resistance: It is said that Khenra have a connection with death. You have resistance to Necrotic damage.
Languages: You can speak, read and write common and one language of your choice.

Please feel free to offer your feedback on how to improve this design (if such changes are needed).

JNAProductions
2022-07-09, 07:39 PM
Compare to PHB Halflings...

ASIs-worse than either Stout of Lightfoot, since Strength and Dexterity are usually one OR the other, not both. But with Tasha's, not a big deal.
Size-better than Halflings, since you can use Heavy weapons.
Speed-much better!

Keen Senses and Pact Nature-compare to Lucky, Brave, Nimble, and Stout Resilience/Naturally Stealthy.
Pact Nature is Lucky OR Brave, never both. Keen Senses is pretty nice, though-more likely to come up than Nimble and maybe Naturally Stealthy, but not more likely than Stout Resilience.

Compared to the PHB Halfling, you could maybe add one more feature? Not a huge one, but something. If Tasha's is in play, probably not needed.

Would I Allow This Race If One Of My Players Asked For It?
Sure!

werescythe
2022-07-09, 08:00 PM
Compare to PHB Halflings...

ASIs-worse than either Stout of Lightfoot, since Strength and Dexterity are usually one OR the other, not both. But with Tasha's, not a big deal.
Size-better than Halflings, since you can use Heavy weapons.
Speed-much better!

Keen Senses and Pact Nature-compare to Lucky, Brave, Nimble, and Stout Resilience/Naturally Stealthy.
Pact Nature is Lucky OR Brave, never both. Keen Senses is pretty nice, though-more likely to come up than Nimble and maybe Naturally Stealthy, but not more likely than Stout Resilience.

Compared to the PHB Halfling, you could maybe add one more feature? Not a huge one, but something. If Tasha's is in play, probably not needed.

Would I Allow This Race If One Of My Players Asked For It?
Sure!

The ASI is just what it was for Khenra in the Plane Shift book, though I have considered either replacing STR with WIS or having it be a +1 to Dex, WIS and STR.

werescythe
2022-07-23, 01:47 AM
I went back and updated the race by making the ASI be +1 to Str, Dex and Wis, while also adding resistance to Necrotic damage.

Olffandad
2022-07-23, 08:56 AM
Seems pretty good - maybe just a tad underpowered, like the Khenra Pack Nature could almost never occur unless you are in that race's home setting. :)

I don't know the original lore, could they could get a 1d6 bite natural attack or one more little nudge?