PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing the Grasping Arrow from Arcane Archer

Wasp
2022-07-10, 07:55 AM
Hi everyone

I am currently thinking about a replacement character and I would kinda like to play a character that utilizes the Arcane Archer's Grasping Arrow since I learnt the DM has changed the subclass to grant Arcane Shot a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus per short rest, so there is a bit of scaling. I also play in a game with a Warlock with Repelling Blast so Grasping Arrow could do quite a bit of damage...

How would you optimize such a slightly modified Arcane Archer?

Multiclassing and Feats allowed, all published WotC sources allowed, point buy

nickl_2000
2022-07-10, 09:47 AM
I would look at the telekinetic feat as part of your toolkit. Then you could do extra damage on your turn as well as on the warlocks turn.

And then the obvious of the sharpshooter feat

Damon_Tor
2022-07-10, 11:11 AM
Other archer subclasses which can move people around on attacks would be a good add, like swarmkeeper ranger or college of blades bard. The ranger seems like the better of the two because their ability to move enemies around on attacks is resource-free, and because they also get spike growth, which synergies with the tactics.

nickl_2000
2022-07-10, 11:32 AM
You could also think about 3/4 levels of Wizard.

Lightning lure, Cause fear, thunderwave, dust devil, gust of wind, and levitate also likely force movement. Flaming sphere forces the situation where they stay, they get damaged, they move they get damaged.

Also, 2 wizard levels of rituals is pretty amazing

Nidgit
2022-07-10, 01:04 PM
Swarmkeeper definitely seems superior to Swords Bard for this build. Mobile Flourish adds damage and has no save, but unless you go to Bard 5 you'll have extremely limited uses. Swarmkeeper, meanwhile, offers a save for a much greater distance so you'll want to invest in Wisdom a bit, but can be used every turn without reservation. Favored Foe offers easy consistent damage since you won't have much use for concentration anyways.

nickl_2000
2022-07-10, 03:42 PM
Swarmkeeper definitely seems superior to Swords Bard for this build. Mobile Flourish adds damage and has no save, but unless you go to Bard 5 you'll have extremely limited uses. Swarmkeeper, meanwhile, offers a save for a much greater distance so you'll want to invest in Wisdom a bit, but can be used every turn without reservation. Favored Foe offers easy consistent damage since you won't have much use for concentration anyways.

My only concern with Swarmkeeper is that you need Dex, Con, Int, and Wis to make it work. That's fairly rough.

Kane0
2022-07-10, 04:07 PM
Ooh, I remember taking a look at this

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?644374-Fun-and-effective-Arcane-Archery

Nidgit
2022-07-10, 05:08 PM
My only concern with Swarmkeeper is that you need Dex, Con, Int, and Wis to make it work. That's fairly rough.
Obviously Dex is important, but you probably don't need more than a 14 in Con. You might even be able to get by with 12 Con. Int is also somewhat negotiable- if you're using Arcane Shot primarily for Grasping Arrow, there's no saving throw and the target has to use their action to escape the brambles. So even if your DC is low, you're still wasting an enemy's action and doing some solid damage on the way. Wisdom will be the primary second stat and with 6-7 ASIs you should be able to manage.

With a Fighter 6/Ranger 4 split, for instance, you could have Dex 18, Wis 16, Int 14, and Con 12 with Sharpshooter and, say, Fey Touched via standard array. A DC 14-15 won't always be effective but it'll still work frequently enough for an abundant resource.

Wasp
2022-07-10, 05:49 PM
I would look at the telekinetic feat as part of your toolkit. Then you could do extra damage on your turn as well as on the warlocks turn.

And then the obvious of the sharpshooter feat

I like the Telekinetic idea. And yeah, Sharpshooter is a must! XBE probably not (this time). ;-)

Other archer subclasses which can move people around on attacks would be a good add, like swarmkeeper ranger or college of blades bard.
Well Ranger for an Archer seems quite natural, doesn't it?

You could also think about 3/4 levels of Wizard.
Interesting, Wizard didn't really cross my mind...

Swarmkeeper definitely seems superior to Swords Bard for this build. Mobile Flourish adds damage and has no save, but unless you go to Bard 5 you'll have extremely limited uses.
The question is if it makes sense to go past lvl 3 in Fighter... The fighter Extra Attack would come of course way earlier than the Bard's and I don't know how good the lvl 7 Arcane Archer feature is... On the other hand Bard spellcasting...

Ooh, I remember taking a look at this

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?644374-Fun-and-effective-Arcane-Archery
I like the idea of the Daolock... I might be stepping on the toes of the other Warlock but that's a Hexblade Sorlock...

Obviously Dex is important, but you probably don't need more than a 14 in Con. You might even be able to get by with 12 Con. Int is also somewhat negotiable- if you're using Arcane Shot primarily for Grasping Arrow, there's no saving throw and the target has to use their action to escape the brambles. So even if your DC is low, you're still wasting an enemy's action and doing some solid damage on the way. Wisdom will be the primary second stat and with 6-7 ASIs you should be able to manage.

With a Fighter 6/Ranger 4 split, for instance, you could have Dex 18, Wis 16, Int 14, and Con 12 with Sharpshooter and, say, Fey Touched via standard array. A DC 14-15 won't always be effective but it'll still work frequently enough for an abundant resource.
I really like the idea of an Arcane Archer with Ranger. Too sad it's not a Ranger subclass ;-)

Damon_Tor
2022-07-10, 06:24 PM

Agreed. Fighter/Ranger-based archers don't need much con (compared to archers based on d8 HP classes like monks, warlocks and bards) and the int doesn't actually play into your tactics much due to the way this particular arrow works. Treat Dex as Primary and Wis as secondary and you'll do fine.

Kane0
2022-07-10, 06:43 PM
I like the idea of the Daolock... I might be stepping on the toes of the other Warlock but that's a Hexblade Sorlock...

Well Ranger for an Archer seems quite natural, doesn't it?
I really like the idea of an Arcane Archer with Ranger. Too sad it's not a Ranger subclass ;-)

It really comes down to do you have your secondary stat as Wis or Cha for multiclassing purposes.

And yes, AA should have just been a Ranger subclass.