PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magical Hacking

werescythe
2022-07-10, 05:30 PM
So, I'm kind of experimenting with this sort of underground/underworld themed magicpunk setting and I kind of want to have it that maybe the magic casters (or perhaps someone using a special magic item) can "hack" the various magical items in the environment that can be manipulated by the players, kind of like in cyberpunk.

Now I'm thinking that maybe this "hacking" can be done by making an Arcana check, with maybe the assistance of some sort of magical item.

The questions that I would like to ask is:

Do you have any suggestions on how this could be built upon/improved?
Can you think of any clever ways this could be implemented/conveyed?
Do you have any suggestions as to sources I can look into that give off a similar vibe to the setting I'm mentioning (I'm sure Eberron kind of fits, but still)?

Thank you all so much for reading this thread, I look forward to hearing your feedback. Have a wonderful day. :smallwink:

JackPhoenix
2022-07-10, 06:10 PM
Don't limit it to casters. Let anyone do it... maybe vary it so it's not all Arcana... perhaps divine items work of Religion, druidic stuff of Nature... or, hell, maybe it all depends on Performance or Sleight of Hands (or even Medicine, if there are squicky living "objects") to get some use out of "useless" skills!

werescythe
2022-07-10, 06:30 PM
Don't limit it to casters. Let anyone do it... maybe vary it so it's not all Arcana... perhaps divine items work of Religion, druidic stuff of Nature... or, hell, maybe it all depends on Performance or Sleight of Hands (or even Medicine, if there are squicky living "objects") to get some use out of "useless" skills!

I mean logically an Arcana check makes sense, since it's mostly Arcane magic (might have some slight differences in a few areas), though as stated above, I'm thinking of having some sort of magic item that can allow anyone who isn't a caster the ability to do the hacking.

Perhaps it should be a common magic item, maybe it's like a small magic orb or something along those lines.

furby076
2022-07-10, 06:48 PM
I believe there was a 3.5 class who could mess with wizards and magical items. Some class abilities (or feats) that come to mind
-Reduce spellcasters or magic items DC
-Reduce spellcasters, spell or magic items damage
-Disable spell traps
-Counter spell ability for sure
-Absorb spell effect and dissipate it
-Absorb spell effect and reflect it back as damage
-Absorb spell effect and redirect it to another target
-Nullify magical item for a period of time. Each tier increases the rarity of the item you can effect (e.g., tier 1 uncommon, 2 rare, 3 very rare, 4 legendary, capstone artifcat)
-Improve the characters resistance to spells
-Character gets less benefits from spells
-Character heals faster (since maybe cure spells are not as good)
-Character can use fewer attuned magic items, and maybe eventually cant at all
-Character attacks count as magical to bypass resistance

Obviously each of these abilities/feats should have limits per day, dc's attached, and defined rules.

This might be good on a fighter, barbarian or monk.

werescythe
2022-07-10, 09:18 PM
That's not exactly what I'm talking about.

Christew
2022-07-10, 10:37 PM
I kind of want to have it that maybe the magic casters (or perhaps someone using a special magic item) can "hack" the various magical items in the environment that can be manipulated by the players, kind of like in cyberpunk.

That's not exactly what I'm talking about.
More information would make it easier to grasp what you are talking about. "Hacking" and "manipulated by the players" is pretty vague.

Broadly speaking, there was an Unearthed Arcana article for Modern Magic a while back that talked about hacking tools and had a spell called Arcane Hacking. May be a good inspiration point, if nothing else.

werescythe
2022-07-10, 11:57 PM
More information would make it easier to grasp what you are talking about. "Hacking" and "manipulated by the players" is pretty vague.

Broadly speaking, there was an Unearthed Arcana article for Modern Magic a while back that talked about hacking tools and had a spell called Arcane Hacking. May be a good inspiration point, if nothing else.

I suppose it could be something like that. Being able to turn certain magical items on/off, making them act in a way they're not intended to, etc...

It might be kind of like the modern magic arcana... Just not modern. ;P

animorte
2022-07-11, 12:11 AM
Not necessarily hacking, but kind of in the right direction thematically.
On/Off (UA)

Source: Unearthed Arcana 7 - Modern Magic

Transmutation cantrip (technomagic)

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

This cantrip allows you to activate or deactivate any electronic device within range, as long as the device has a clearly defined on or off function that can be easily accessed from the outside of the device. Any device that requires a software-based shutdown sequence to activate or deactivate cannot be affected by On/Off.

Anymage
2022-07-11, 02:28 AM
Bypassing locks isn't a devoted skill in and of itself. It's tool proficiency in thieves tools. Have a similar control module item that allows one to control the magitech items around (for diagnostic purposes and for anybody who might legitimately need an override). Make it a sketchy item for civilians to carry around so everybody isn't a hacker with a cyberdeck equivalent. And then let anybody learn it if they want to and have a free tool proficiency.

Psyren
2022-07-11, 11:36 AM
What do you want "hacking magic items" to achieve? Changing their benefits? Adding new benefits? Leaving the benefits as-is but adding beneficial properties? Removing drawbacks like attunement?

What costs are you envisioning for this hacking ability? Would doing so use up a finite or timed resource? Would it cost gold? Would it be temporary? Would it add negative properties to the item?

BRC
2022-07-11, 11:57 AM
Alright, ideas to start

Making the Check:

Basic "Roll a d20" is kind of boring, I like to find ways to spice it up.

Magihacking is done by sending surges of power to disrupt and distort existing enchantments. The more power you use, the easier it is.

Hacking in general requires the ability to at least cast Cantrips, which provides a +0 bonus. You can expend spell slots, getting +1d6 per level of the spell slot expended, to the roll. Spell Scrolls can also be burned to have a similar effect.

This lets players spend resources to help succeed, rather than just rolling a d20. DC's should be raised to match, the expectation should be that hacking a device without expending spell slots is an Impressive Feat.

Selecting your Target

The DC is also dynamic, depending on what the goal is. There are three categories of choices

Activate/Deactivate Is the most basic option. This is simply to turn on, or turn off a magic device that requires something you lack (A key, a password, ect) to turn on or off, and requires hitting the Device's basic DC.
For example, hacking a street-cleaning construct to shut it off would be an Activate/Deactivate action. The key here is that with the exception of the activation/deactivation trigger, you don't change the devices intended function in any way.

Note that you can only use this to "Deactivate" a device that is SUPPOSED to be deactivated. If the device is NEVER supposed to be deactivated (Like, say, a force wall on a vault that was never supposed to be opened), that would be an Override.

Other examples might be:
Opening a door
Disabling a trap

Modify Involves changing HOW a device operates in some minor fashion that is still within it's normal function. This adds between +2 and +4 to the DC. For example, if you want the Street Cleaner to clean 5th street instead of 4th street, or you tell it to clean a specific spot over and over. This can also cover some pretty basic commands that fall under normal function, such as having it stand in a specific spot so you can climb on top of it. Similarly, if the street-cleaner has a function to Alert the city guard to any crimes it sees, deactivating that specific function would be a modify.

Other examples might be
Adding a delay to a Trap triggering (So rather than triggering immediately, it triggers 1 minute later)
Making a magic fountain shoot water at higher pressure
Making a magic fireplace burn hotter than intended, such that the fire might spread.
Changing the destination of a Porter construct
Changing the recipe of a magic brewing keg to make beer with a higher ABV than intended.

Override Involves a major change to the device's function or behavior. Note that the device does not get any new capabilities, it just changes it's behavior. Overrides add between +5 and +10 to the DC, depending on the nature of the override, and how long you want it to last. Hacking a street-cleaner robot so that it attacks the city guard would be an Override check.

Other examples might be:
Changing the Password for a magic lock
Making a door slam shut when somebody walks through it.
Change the recipe of a magic brewing keg to make deadly poison.
Having a magic brewer create poison

werescythe
2022-07-13, 09:12 AM
Alright, ideas to start

Making the Check:

Basic "Roll a d20" is kind of boring, I like to find ways to spice it up.

Magihacking is done by sending surges of power to disrupt and distort existing enchantments. The more power you use, the easier it is.

Hacking in general requires the ability to at least cast Cantrips, which provides a +0 bonus. You can expend spell slots, getting +1d6 per level of the spell slot expended, to the roll. Spell Scrolls can also be burned to have a similar effect.

This lets players spend resources to help succeed, rather than just rolling a d20. DC's should be raised to match, the expectation should be that hacking a device without expending spell slots is an Impressive Feat.

Selecting your Target

The DC is also dynamic, depending on what the goal is. There are three categories of choices

Activate/Deactivate Is the most basic option. This is simply to turn on, or turn off a magic device that requires something you lack (A key, a password, ect) to turn on or off, and requires hitting the Device's basic DC.
For example, hacking a street-cleaning construct to shut it off would be an Activate/Deactivate action. The key here is that with the exception of the activation/deactivation trigger, you don't change the devices intended function in any way.

Note that you can only use this to "Deactivate" a device that is SUPPOSED to be deactivated. If the device is NEVER supposed to be deactivated (Like, say, a force wall on a vault that was never supposed to be opened), that would be an Override.

Other examples might be:
Opening a door
Disabling a trap

Modify Involves changing HOW a device operates in some minor fashion that is still within it's normal function. This adds between +2 and +4 to the DC. For example, if you want the Street Cleaner to clean 5th street instead of 4th street, or you tell it to clean a specific spot over and over. This can also cover some pretty basic commands that fall under normal function, such as having it stand in a specific spot so you can climb on top of it. Similarly, if the street-cleaner has a function to Alert the city guard to any crimes it sees, deactivating that specific function would be a modify.

Other examples might be
Adding a delay to a Trap triggering (So rather than triggering immediately, it triggers 1 minute later)
Making a magic fountain shoot water at higher pressure
Making a magic fireplace burn hotter than intended, such that the fire might spread.
Changing the destination of a Porter construct
Changing the recipe of a magic brewing keg to make beer with a higher ABV than intended.

Override Involves a major change to the device's function or behavior. Note that the device does not get any new capabilities, it just changes it's behavior. Overrides add between +5 and +10 to the DC, depending on the nature of the override, and how long you want it to last. Hacking a street-cleaner robot so that it attacks the city guard would be an Override check.

Other examples might be:
Changing the Password for a magic lock
Making a door slam shut when somebody walks through it.
Change the recipe of a magic brewing keg to make deadly poison.
Having a magic brewer create poison

So, this would be good for magic casters, now for non casters would it just be a check then?

Will probably have a hacking kit or something, to allow for the magic casting. Just not sure how I want it to look like. Lol.

BRC
2022-07-13, 09:23 AM
So, this would be good for magic casters, now for non casters would it just be a check then?

Will probably have a hacking kit or something, to allow for the magic casting. Just not sure how I want it to look like. Lol.

You could work out some other system, or just adjust the DC's to make it a straight check and not need to worry about spending extra resources.