PDA

View Full Version : Bottled Respite Curiosity

Fuzzy Math
2022-07-10, 06:08 PM
Weird session last night, leading to an in bed thought. My 4th level genielock inadvertently became an unwilling host to an abberant, sentient parasite (don't go checking outhouses for sources of mysterious illnesses, kids!) and I dismissed the idea of using my Bottled Respite feature as a potential solution, thinking the parasite would be considered enough "me" to go with me. After the session, the thought reoccurred to me as I was drifting off, and after re-reading the feature in the morning, it's possible I dismissed the thought too easily?

The wording on the Bottled Respite feature seems to say that only the warlock can enter the extradimensional space:

"As an action, you can magically vanish and enter your vessel, which remains in the space you left. The interior of the vessel is an extradimensional space in the shape of a 20-foot-radius cylinder, 20 feet high, and resembles your vessel. The interior is appointed with cushions and low tables and is a comfortable temperature. While inside, you can hear the area around your vessel as if you were in its space. You can remain inside the vessel up to a number of hours equal to twice your proficiency bonus. You exit the vessel early if you use a bonus action to leave, if you die, or if the vessel is destroyed. When you exit the vessel, you appear in the unoccupied space closest to it. Any objects left in the vessel remain there until carried out, and if the vessel is destroyed, every object stored there harmlessly appears in the unoccupied spaces closest to the vessel's former space. Once you enter the vessel, you can't enter again until you finish a long rest."

The level 10 ability seems to imply that only once I get that feature can other creatures enter with me. So, what say you, my fellow giants? Ultimately, I know the answer is up to my DM, but this is a weird scenario and has tickled my curiosity. Of course, this leads me to another question about pregnant genielocks and similar scenarios I should avoid, but that's for another day!

animorte
2022-07-10, 06:17 PM
Something that attaches and makes itself a part of your body, like a parasite perhaps (or a fetus), would very likely go with you. Look up the 3.5e rules for being pregnant. It's listed as a disease.

At level 10, you can choose up to 5 willing creatures. I still don't think this would have any change to the above statements.

Spo
2022-07-10, 11:11 PM
I would say it goes with you. Otherwise this would be a relatively “easy way” to get rid of an intellect devourer (which are a real headache).