PDA

View Full Version : Help! My hexblade is no longer a hexblade. How to plan progression?

Hiro Quester
2022-07-11, 03:36 PM
I'm playing a half-elf Bard1/Warlock3. Cha 17, Dex and Con 16, Str 10, Wis and Int 8 (he does not think through his choices). Trying to be a glory-seeking frontline "Gish", with elven accuracy, sword flourishes and eldrich smites to pump into crits.

(With a druid, cleric, and wizard in the party, I'm okay multi classing away access to high-level spells and delaying the spellcasting I have, and with using a decent chunk of Spellcasting resources for personal damage-dealing glory, and only sometimes throwing out a hypnotic pattern or Mass suggestion as needed. Though with jack of all trades and access to counter spell and dispel magic, those would get used a lot too. And with a Paladin in the party, I'll be up front near his aura for saving throw boosts).

My intent was to go Hexblade 5/Bard 6 (probably swords bard; I considered whispers, but he doesn't really have enough intelligence to pull off subterfuge). Then develop Hexblade or Bard to 14 or 15, depending on the campaign's needs and what seems most fun.

I described this character in a bit more detail when discussing how improved pact weapon would work with an existing weapon here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?647527-Pact-of-the-Blade-using-an-existing-weapon).

But as we hit level 3 in our game the other day, my DM gave me an offer I could not refuse. Choosing pact of the blade, he offered me a change from hexblade to a tailor-made homebrew patron focussed on getting revenge for my dead friend, along with a very special weapon.

Given my backstory, my character would choose that different patron. (Plus, he doesn't really think through decisions well; with 8 wis and 8 int, he's very impulsive.)

So I don't have the Hex Warrior feature any longer. No SAD-Cha dependent for Hex/Pact weapons and for Spellcasting, but use a magic rapier now, based on dex. And no shield proficiency, nor medium armor. And no shield spell. This somewhat changes my idea of the character and plans for feats/ASIs. No longer room for warcaster (but I have eldrich mind and a free hand). No GWM or sharpshooter.

It's not without some serious benefits, though.

Instead of Shield spell, I have Absorb Elements. That seems a fair trade, that will probably pay off when hit with massive AOE elemental damage. And Swords bard can use flourishes to bump AC sometimes, though it's not a reaction.

Instead of medium armor and shield, I have special (very attractively cut) silk clothes that act as bracers of Defense (+2 AC), and I can take the Armor of Shadows invocation that gives mage armor at will. That gives 18 AC with my +3 dex (which I will need to increase). It costs an invocation to have decent AC, but it looks cool (which my character would care about).

And I no longer need Improved Pact Weapon anyway . I have a free hand without the shield, and have a +1 pact weapon anyway.

The rapier is my bond with my patron (so I guess I won't be summoning other weapons with Pact of the Blade). but it's a good weapon.

It's a +1 rapier, that 3/Short rest can mark a person for death on the first hit (no action required), getting an extra d4 damage for this and all subsequent hits, for 10 minutes (no concentration). Plus I know where they are if I can't see them. So it's like a hexblade's curse, but usable more often, with a d4 damage (better than the curse's proficiency bonus at low levels, but worse at higher levels) and does not take a bonus action to activate, with a mini-Hunter's Mark rider.

In addition, I get something like relentless hex. I can teleport as a bonus action to within 5 ft of the target I have marked for death each round, while the mark is active.

And the sword also grants expertise in the perform skill, which is nice, since I wouldn't have used expertise on that.

I also get a decent source of damage and temporary hit points. As part of the pact, I can make a "Payback" melee spell attack and do D12+cha damage (increasing, as I progress to 2d12at 5th level, and upwards at 11 and 17 like a cantrip). And I gain temporary HPs equal to half the damage done.

The 6th and 14th level pact abilities haven't yet been worked out.

I think it's a probably a decent deal all up. But it changes the Cha-SAD nature of the character I had planned. And the hexblade's curse crit on 19-20 combination with Elven Accuracy is gone. And I'll need to spend ASIs on increasing Dex, instead of things to augment crits (like GWM as I sort of hoped to do).

So I need a new plan for level progression and ASI/feats and maybe invocations.

I'll be taking Warlock 4 next level (for ASI/feat). I'm after advice, please, on how to make a warlock/bard a good melee Gish without Hexblade and Hex Warrior.

Levelling:
My original plan of Warlock 5 (for thirsting blade), then Swords bard to 6 (for more low-level bard spell-slots, sword flourishes for extra AC and moving enemies around, ASI, short rest BI, extra attack). That gets both Warlock spells and Bardic Inspirations refreshing on a short rest, too.

Then probably more warlock (to 14), bards Extra attack enabling me to to switch Thirsting blade to Eldrich Smite, and to pick up Cloak of Flies, and eventually lifedrinker, as well as more casting (including 7th level Mystic Arcanum). But increasing Spellcasting and BI dice, and adding magical secrets with more bard (to 15, with 7th level spells) is a good option too.

Ideas of how best to progress all this are welcome.

Do you think 3 levels of Swashbuckler Rogue is a good addition to a melee-gish, for extra mobility (opportunity attack immunity when I attack) and 2d6 Sneak attack practically every round, and getting both Cha and Dex to initiative?

If I'm really okay with limited spellcasting for melee glory, then Swords Bard 6/ Warlock 5/ Swashbuckler Rogue 9 might even be viable. Up to 5d6 sneak attack, evasion, uncanny dodge, expertise, panache goading attack or charm monster. It's not really the "Gish" I planned though.

Or a level or two of fighter, for a fighting style, second wind and action surge (e.g. bard6/Warlock12/Fighter 2)? Or 3 for Champion's extra crit range? Trading lifedrinker at level 18 for more crits from level 14 might be a good trade?

Feats/ASIs:
If I take the minor class to level 5 or 6, and the major one to 14 or 15, that means only four Feat/ASIs in total.

I guess that means one half-feat to increase CHA, then two to max Dex and one more to max Cha. that seems kinda boring, though.

My original plan was to take Elven Accuracy at Warlock 4, to increase cha from 17 to 18. It will increase spell DC, uses of bardic inspiration, and the to-hit and damage of the "payback" melee spell attack. And Elven accuracy applies to any attack using dex or cha, so it would still enable rolling an extra dice when I have advantage on dex-based attacks with rapier as well as cha-based spell attacks.

But perhaps a different feat is better? since I'll no longer have the 19-20 crit range that made Elven Accuracy so juicy? (That was only against the target of Hexblade curse, though; so only 1 opponent /Short Rest until 14th level Warlock).

Are there other half-feats that raise an ability score and give an extra ability worth considering instead? E.g. has anyone used telekinetic on a build like this?

Warlock features: I guess I'm committed to Pact of the Blade. But most of the benefits of that pact are negated. I'm bound to this particular rapier, so I can't really summon a different weapon. And I don't get to use the Hex warrior feature with weapons I summon, so no greatsword (setup for great weapon master) later on.

The only part I can use is the ability to summon this rapier as an action if it's separated from me. And the invocations that Pact of the Blade is prerequisite for (smite, lifedrinker, etc.)

This gets me at least considering wither a different pact (tome, chain) might be more viable. So far, I was certain that pact of the blade was the obvious pact boon to take. So I have never even tried to understand how to make good use of these others. If I'm overlooking something useful, please let me know.

Any advice on how to make the most of all this would be sincerely appreciated.

meandean
2022-07-12, 11:25 AM
Well, your main weapon is a rapier, and your party is chock full of other magic-users... Swashbuckler sounds right. I would ask if you can change your Bard level over to Rogue. Even though it sounds like it was ultimately up to you whether to switch patrons, it's still not really fair IMHO to have in-game circumstances re-write your entire character mechanics, and not give you the opportunity to make other changes to adjust for that. It's not like you were some super-potent spellcaster as a Bard; you were only 1st level. Probably the average guy couldn't tell if you were a Bard or Rogue anyway :smallwink:

Swashbuckler 5 will give you quite a lot. In between Cunning Action, Fancy Footwork, and your teleport, you can basically be anywhere, the ultimate skirmisher. And if you do get hit, in between Uncanny Dodge and Absorb Elements, you're consistently halving the damage. This suite of abilities compensates (maybe more than compensates!) for your loss of armor and shield. Rakish Audacity will of course do you well, with your high Charisma.

I would stick with Pact of the Blade, which would make Swords Bard's Extra Attack superfluous. Your ~10 Sneak Attack damage (and I wouldn't worry about ever not​ hitting Sneak Attack...) would be more than the average flourish damage anyway. (Flourishes do of course have other useful effects, but they still don't compare with the Rogue suite I described.)

Whispers Bard 3 might make sense for a different type of character in a different party, but not here.

OldTrees1
2022-07-12, 11:52 AM
I am confused. You switched from Cha 17 to Dex 16. Why change anything?

Look at your previous plan and just replace the word "Cha" with "Dex". You wanted Elven Accuracy +1 Cha at 4th? Now it is +1 Dex instead. Or maybe have Elven Accuracy still be +1 Cha and then be okay with -1 atk/damage in exchange for the +1 atk/damage from your magic rapier.

Why change anything?

Hiro Quester
2022-07-12, 12:07 PM
I do like having a little rogue [Bard] in a warlock build. Warlock Spells slots increasing starts to make first and second level spells that don't scale well (Shield, Hex, Faerie Fire, mirror image, etc.) not worth casting. Keeping some bard casting for those spells is prudent.

We do also have an artificer 3 /rogue 1 in the party, who does most of the sneaking and trap finding. So adding rogue I would try to stay out of that lane (maybe be a backup if that player can't play).

Taking swords bard to 6 for extra attack (plus BI refreshing on short rest and sword flourishes) means I can switch out an invocation. I'll need Armor of Shadows (for AC 15+dex since I won't ever have shield proficiency), and Eldrich Mind (instead of Warcaster), so I can't get Eldrich Smite unless I can replace Thirsting Blade.

The rapier does seem to encourage a skirmish style, bamfing back and forth between bad guys. Loophole: with three charges per short rest in the swords Marked for Death and teleport ability, there is no limit stated on having only one mark active at a time. So I could oscillate back and forth between two targets, if I marked them both. With the right placement, I could move and teleport to two targets 60 ft from one another, and they would have trouble closing the distance.

Swords bard 6, Swashbuckler 5 or 8/ warlock 6 or 9 seems a good skirmisher indeed: after hexing the main bad guy in the first turn, bonus action teleport to a flanking position, attack twice with triple advantage from Elven Accuracy, pumping in 3 to 5 d6s of SA, Hex's d6, and Marked for Death's d4, and if one of the attacks is a critical hit, then adding Eldrich Smite and a sword flourish for even more dice to double, then move away without opportunity attacks. And both bardic inspiration for sword flourishes and two Warlock slots for smites refresh on a short rest.

Booming Blade will also be useful even without Extra attack, if I veered into rogue sooner and gained the OA-free withdraw after attacking, to goad enemies into moving. I'll have to do the math on that (I recall Treantmonk having a recent video on booming blade vs. extra attack)

I love the idea of Rakish Audacity on a character that has to max out both Cha and Dex.

However, sticking with bard and warlock is almost as good, if progressing one or the other class to 15-15 gets higher level abilities and 7th level spells. It hurts to give up the idea of a glorious dashing swordsman frontliner, with lots of magic resources too, for a skirmisher with limited magic that is mostly used for damaging bad guys. Still, it sounds fun to play.

I'd be very happy if someone can help me see a compelling reason to prefer one over the other of these options (add rogue, or pursue either bard or warlock to about 14-15 levels.

animorte
2022-07-12, 02:20 PM
I would actually recommend the Crown Paladin route as the channel divinity could provide a protective aura preventing the bad guys from getting too aggressive on your squishies, which is really only the Wizard probably. Though I doubt you want to play second fiddle to the Cleric, I’m not sure of their build.

meandean
2022-07-12, 10:31 PM
If you just want to be a spellcaster, I get that. Otherwise, I don't think Bard is what your party needs. You already have three full casters and two half-casters, not counting yourself who will be a mostly-Warlock!!

Mage armor is AC 13 + Dexterity modifier, not 15... it's one point better than studded leather. Armor of Shadows doesn't need to be prioritized.

Booming blade isn't "as good as" Extra Attack because A) Extra Attack makes it far less likely that you'll fail to Sneak Attack which is a big part of your damage, and B) obviously you only do the extra booming blade damage if the target moves. Still, a teleporting Swashbuckler is pretty much the best-case scenario to mitigate point B -- they're not going to have the option to stay put and attack you, because you won't be there anymore. Overall, if you want to only take Swashbuckler to 3 (or 4 for the ASI), I think that's fine. I just question whether you'd get more out of how you'd otherwise spend those 1-2 levels than you would from Uncanny Dodge. (I would consider 15th-level abilities an extremely minor factor in that equation.)

Gignere
2022-07-13, 06:33 AM
If you just want to be a spellcaster, I get that. Otherwise, I don't think Bard is what your party needs. You already have three full casters and two half-casters, not counting yourself who will be a mostly-Warlock!!

Mage armor is AC 13 + Dexterity modifier, not 15... it's one point better than studded leather. Armor of Shadows doesn't need to be prioritized.

Booming blade isn't "as good as" Extra Attack because A) Extra Attack makes it far less likely that you'll fail to Sneak Attack which is a big part of your damage, and B) obviously you only do the extra booming blade damage if the target moves. Still, a teleporting Swashbuckler is pretty much the best-case scenario to mitigate point B -- they're not going to have the option to stay put and attack you, because you won't be there anymore. Overall, if you want to only take Swashbuckler to 3 (or 4 for the ASI), I think that's fine. I just question whether you'd get more out of how you'd otherwise spend those 1-2 levels than you would from Uncanny Dodge. (I would consider 15th-level abilities an extremely minor factor in that equation.)

His 15 comes from his bracer of defense. Ideally he should reskin whispers bard to fit his story. It’s almost ideal. Gaining a happy medium of some rogue benefits without haven’t to multiclass into another class.

Hiro Quester
2022-07-13, 07:35 PM
Paladin isn't possible (I only have 10 strength).

And yeah, the AC is from clothing that operates as bracers of defense (+2 to AC when not wearing armor). So mage armor's 13 +2 +dex for AC.

I'm really warming to the idea of adding a few levels of swashbuckler rogue, and embracing a skirmisher play style.

I'm not going to be able to take warcaster for booming blade Attacks of Opportunity, anyway (though Eldrich Mind still gives advantage concentration). So hit and run tactics might be fun.

It costs in terms of spell progression and higher-level abilities, though.

Taking Elven Accuracy to bump charisma to 18 seems a good idea. But perhaps getting dexterity to 18 first, for better ac and better hit and damage, might be prudent?

And eventually I might get dex to 20 and cha only to 18. (That change to needing to pump Dex rather than only charisma is probably the change that hurts the very most in switching from hexblade.)

That might make room for a feat later on. Like Warcaster if I want to make booming blade opportunity attacks and free up an invocation for other things. Or Piercer, since I'm devoted to rapier and rolling a few damage dice, fishing for crits with Elven Accuracy. Being able to reroll a 1 (we just double the dice rolled, rather than rolling more dice) and adding an extra damage die might be worth a slightly lower DC on my spells?

It would not be hard to make it the case that most of the spells I select and cast don't require saving throws. (Many warlock spell slots will be used for eldrich smites soon, anyway. And I'm using 1st level bard slots for Hex a lot, for example.)

What do you think? I'll get 4 ASIs total. Is it better to improve Dex to 18 next level, or take elven accuracy and bump Cha to 18?

Or even use elven accuracy to bump Dex to 17 now, and later take another half-feat like Piercer to bump it again to 18, and take Actor or Telekinetic to get Cha to 18, then have one ASI to get one or the other to 20.

Kane0
2022-07-13, 08:37 PM
Why bother multiclassing? Your DM appears to have done you a favor with that patron tying into your rapier, i'd follow that and see where it goes. Just swap your priority stat from Cha to Dex and adjust any feats you may want as you level up (fey touched or shadow touched, inspiring leader, lucky, resilient, etc)

Edit: piercer and elven accuracy are both great choices, personally id go with the former but it largely comes down to your party and access to advantage.

Hiro Quester
2022-07-13, 11:47 PM
My plan always was to multiclass swords bard and hexblade, for a good source of short rest refreshing smites and sword flourishes to dump, along with hex, into crits.

And to use elven accuracy to make crits more likely. And to use flanking, prone, faerie fire and shadow of moil, etc. to generate advantage.

Piercer seems an obvious choice now that I’m wedded to a rapier, and can’t use other crit magnifiers like great weapon master.

but that’s a half feat that raises dex by 1. I’d need another 1point raise from spreading ASI to cha and dex, or another raise dex by 1 half feat. I can’t think of many others, apart from elven accuracy, though. Maybe I’ll just take telekinetic for bumping cha to 18.

meandean
2022-07-14, 10:08 AM
Two big use cases for Telekinetic are A) you're a squishy caster who wants to be able to get out of melee, or B) you or your teammates are consistently creating environmental effects (create bonfire, spike growth, etc.) to push people into. A doesn't apply to this character, who is already super-mobile. I don't think you yourself are going to be providing B. If your fellow casters aren't particularly well-suited to teaming up and creating B, then I wouldn't take Telekinetic.

So, most likely:

ASI 1: Elven Accuracy, CHA +1
ASI 2: DEX +2
ASI 3: CHA +2
ASI 4: DEX +2

Hiro Quester
2022-07-14, 10:48 AM
Two big use cases for Telekinetic are A) you're a squishy caster who wants to be able to get out of melee, or B) you or your teammates are consistently creating environmental effects (create bonfire, spike growth, etc.) to push people into. A doesn't apply to this character, who is already super-mobile. I don't think you yourself are going to be providing B. If your fellow casters aren't particularly well-suited to teaming up and creating B, then I wouldn't take Telekinetic.

So, most likely:

ASI 1: Elven Accuracy, CHA +1
ASI 2: DEX +2
ASI 3: CHA +2
ASI 4: DEX +2
You are probably right. Swords bard has the "mobile" sword flourish for pushing people away if that's a need. And at higher levels, when I have a free invocation slot, repelling blast does that even better. So yeah, telekinetic doesn't seem needed.

That ASI progression seems the most likely. But it's also kinda vanilla. I like feats to add flavorful new abilities or enhancements to make good abilities into great ones.

I'm sort of leaning towards topping CHA at 18 to make room for another feat like Piercer, if many spells are buffs, summons, or BFCs that don't rely overly on saving throws. There are plenty of those on my lists.

I'd love a home-brewed half feat that raises dex by one; something like half of GWM, that enables an extra bonus action attack after a crit or a kill. Or a combination of piercer and that half of GWM. Something like that home-brew might be worth discussing as a last feat, since it will probably be about character level 18.

e.g.
ASI 1 (level 5): Elven Accuracy CHa+1 (to 18)
ASI 2 (level 9) +2 Dex (to 18)
ASI 3 (level 14) +2 Dex
ASI 4 (level 18): Another fun ability-granting feat.