PDA

View Full Version : Sephiroth Based Swordsman

Neftren
2007-11-27, 09:40 PM
Okay, I had the idea for some sort of dueling, master swordsman who wields an oversize weapon without penalties and manages to look cool as well as kickass in the process. So I'm compiling a bunch of ideas to put together and eventually get around to writing this thing.

Oversized Weapon Fighting
--Wields a Melee Slashing Weapon of a size category one larger than normal without penalty. This stacks with the Monkey Grip Feat.

Shoulders of Steel
--Character gains DR 5 vs. Slashing and a +2 armor bonus to AC that stacks with other armor bonuses to AC.

Of Rank and Regiment
--Character gains +X Bonus to all Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate checks with those associated with the Military or close to the Military.

Tap the Lifeline
--Character may absorb energy from nature and regains hitpoints equal to his class levels each day.

Black Meteor
--Character may summon _________ to aid them in battle?

Any other major things I missed? If not, I'll start writing this in as a Prestige Class I'm thinking.

Collin152
2007-11-27, 09:53 PM
Hm. is masamune really that oversized?
Do the shoulders really need their own ability?
Wouldn't most of his features resemble those in the Kensei PrC?
Isn't meteor a function of the Black Materia?
Shouldn't his awesome bangs be represented?

Charles Phipps
2007-11-27, 09:57 PM
Yes, Masamune is HUGE but so is Sephiroth.

F.L.
2007-11-27, 10:01 PM
The Masamune was something like 9 feet long. Or 12.

edit: Bar-lgura'dsimu-ninja'd.

Dairun Cates
2007-11-27, 10:17 PM
The Masamune was something like 9 feet long. Or 12.

edit: Bar-lgura'dsimu-ninja'd.

Well, Sephiroth's Japanese and it was twice his height... So yeah. Probably 10 feet. :smallbiggrin:

Catch
2007-11-27, 10:21 PM
I figure you could model Sephiroth with a Swordsage. Homebrew the sword, make it exotic, and then take a feat for it. With all the maneuvers available, I'd say the Swordsage is pretty well-suited for any flashy swordsmanship you'd like.

Neftren
2007-11-27, 10:35 PM
I'm not trying to model the character himself. I'm trying to write up a class based around the huge sword with a cool black suit. My goal is to come up with an oversized melee fighter without the bonus feats and without the martial adept levels and maneuvers to go with it.

The Masamune is HUGE in all the FF VII games. Literally twice his height. Crazy but awesome! I figured anyone could add Monkey Grip and get a Huge Weapon for a Medium Character. Get it? Huge? :smallcool:

Sephiroth is always shown with his trademark sword and his steel pauldron things. It makes sense to include them as part of the class.

No, the abilities aren't even close to similar when compared with the Kensai. Kensai are like looser types of Samurai but with the cool weapon enhancements and special abilities that match a frontline melee fighter.

Yes, Meteor was from Sephiroth using the Black Materia, but it's kinda cool to be able to summon a powerful creature from beyond. It makes for a cool roleplaying aspect, since the concept of Materia hasn't been introduced to D&D. Magical lumps of crystal that make you better? Close to Weapon/Armor Crystals, but not quite.

Bangs = No. Characters can decide whether they have bangs or not.

Now, I was thinking of some sort of "Driven" class ability that lets him continue at his task even if it hurts him. Think Forced March but better and can be applied in Combat... I guess like rage, but not.

Collin152
2007-11-27, 10:53 PM
Well, if you must have meteor, check out the spell cometfall. It's pretty sweet planet smashy, but not so devestating. Like Supernova.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-29, 05:32 AM
I wrote up an Oversized Weapon Master PrC. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

Here it is: (I threw in my Fastdraw Master too, as they are in the same file)

Oversized Weapon Master

Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Heavy
Weapon Focus: any exotic heavy weapon OR Athame
Monkey Grip
Power Attack
BAB +7
Intimidate 5 ranks

1 Oversized Focus, Wide Swing
2 Oversized Specialization, Terrible Blows
3 Ferocious Strikes (arcing strike)
4 Ferocious Strike (rapid strike)
5 Ferocious Strike (powerful strike)

Oversized Focus (ex)
An oversized Weapon Master gains a +1 bonus to hit with any weapon that is one size to large for him normally. This bonus stacks with that given by Weapon Focus.

Wide Swing-
An oversized weapon master may designate one opponent per round to be threatened as if he were five feet closer to the OWM. This lasts until another opponent is designated.

Oversized Specialization (ex)
An oversized weapon master gains a +2 bonus to damage with any weapon that is one size catagory larger than him. This bonus stacks with that given by Weapon Specialization.

Terrible Blows (ex)
An oversized weapon master, strength and ferocity can be overwhelming to his opponents. He make make an intimidate check as a free action against any opponent he hits while power attacking for at least 5.

Ferocious Strike (su)
The OWM is able to strike with such strength and power that he is able to produce certain amazing affects at higher level. These abilities can be used a total number of times per day equal to the OWM's strength modifer + class level.

Arcing Strike- An oversized weapon master is able to strike with such force that he strikes two adjacent foes with a single strike. Treat this as a single attack, but make a separate attack roll for each foe. This ability costs one use of ferocious strike, +1 use per extra opponent beyond the first. All opponents must be within reach.

Rapid Strike- An oversized weapon master is able to harness the increasing momentum of his swings into enough energy to occasionally make an extra attack. This attack is at the OWM's highest attack bonus, and counts as a speed effect for all intents and purposes. This ability costs 2 ferocious strike uses.

Powerful Strike- An oversized weapon master is able to concentrate terrible force into his strikes. When an OWM uses this ability, his weapon counts as one size category larger. This ability can only affect one attack per round. This ability counts as 2 uses of ferocious strike. By expending three uses instead, the size category can be increased by two, instead of one.

The Fastdraw Master

The Fastdraw Master is trained in the art of striking at the very moment his blade leaves the sheath, and striking with such alacrity that his opponents, in many cases, not only don't see it coming, but still don't know what hit them after several strikes.

As the Fastdraw Master grows more adept at his art, the speed of his strikes increase to the point that they cut through his opponents like wheat before the scythe.

Fastdraw Master

1 Flick of the Wrist, Instant Sheath, Fastdraw +1d6
2 Instant Draw
3 Fastdraw +1d6
4 Keen Edge
5 Fastdraw +1d6
6 Fastdraw Master
7 Fastdraw +1d6
8 Thunder Blade
9 Fastdraw +1d6
10 Unstoppable Strike

Quick Draw, Combat Reflexes, 1d6 sneak attack, Athame or Bonded Item (light or one-handed slashing weapon)

BAB +5

Sleight of Hand 8 ranks, Spot 2 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks, concentration 8 ranks

BAB - 3/4
Saving Throws- Good Reflex, Intermediate Fort/Will
Combat Rites- +1/2 levels continued progression

skills/level 2+int mod.
bluff, climb, concentration, craft, intimidate, jump, perform(weapon drills), search, sense motive sleight of hand, spot

HD- d8

Flick of the Wrist (ex.)
At first level, the Fastdraw Master gains the feat, Flick of the Wrist as a bonus feat. Additionally, the Fastdraw Master may use this feat with his chosen weapon, even if it is not a light weapon for him.

Instant Sheath (ex.)
(Quick and Dirty- allows Flick of the Wrist multiple times against the same opponent in the same encounter)

The Fastdraw Master may, as a full round action, make a single strike with his chosen weapon and then re-sheath it. He executes his attack so quickly, that the human eye has difficulty in following it. His attack catches the opponent flat-footed, as per the Flick of the Wrist feat. The Fastdraw Master makes a sleight of hand check as part of this attack, opposed by the Spot+BAB of his opponent. If successful, the Fastdraw master may execute this manuever multiple times against the same opponenent in the same combat.

At level 6, the Fastdraw master may execute this manuever as part of a full attack action, resheathing his weapon at the end of the routine. If he does so, the opponent is only considered to be flatfooted against the first strike, and gains a +4 circumstance on the opposed check to prevent from being flat-footed on subsequent rounds. This application is considered to be a supernatural ability.

Fastdraw (ex.)
(Q&D- sneak attack)
The Fastdraw Master is able to strike with deadly presicion when executing a Flick of the Wrist manuever. Treat this ability as sneak attack, except that the extra damage only applies when executing a Flick of the Wrist manuever.

Instant Draw (ex.)
(Q&D- can draw weapon reflexively, such as to make an AoO)
The Fastdraw Master is so fast with his blade, that he is able to threaten the area around him even when his chosen weapon is not drawn. As long as the Fastdraw Master has his weapon on his person, he make execute an attack of oppurtunity with it.

At level 6, the Fastdraw Master has a chance of catching his opponent flatfooted with this strike. This is determined by an opposed BAB check.

Keen Edge (su.)
At level 4, any slashing weapon used in a Flick of the Wrist manuever gains the benefits of the keen edge spell.

Thunder Blade (su.)
By level 8, the Fastdraw Master is drawing and striking with his weapon at such incredible speeds, that a burst of sonic energy explodes from the blade with every strike, adding 1d6 sonic damage to his attacks.

Unstoppable Strike (su.)
Once per day, the Fastdraw Master is able to focus his mental energies to such an extent that he is able to strike through flesh, steel, bone, and tissue as if it weren't there. Once per day, a 10th level Fastdraw Master may make a single attack as a full-round action. This attack is resolved as a concentration check. In addition, the Fastdraw adds his class level to the damage of this strike, and ignores an amount of hardness/DR equal to his charisma modifier.

Tengu
2007-11-29, 06:18 AM
You could give him the ability to add Charisma to AC when he's not wearing any armor. In fact, I think most characters in jRPGs have that ability.

Xefas
2007-11-29, 07:07 AM
I figure you could model Sephiroth with a Swordsage. Homebrew the sword, make it exotic, and then take a feat for it. With all the maneuvers available, I'd say the Swordsage is pretty well-suited for any flashy swordsmanship you'd like.

He really didn't have flashy swordsmanship. The extent of his flashy swordsmanship was stabbing people through the chest from 10ft away.

I think the Arcane Swordsage would better represent him, considering Sephiroth was primarily a spellcaster, what with all the mastered materia, the polymorphing, the flying, and the planet-annihilating epic magic.

Neftren
2007-11-29, 09:22 AM
Well, I don't want to give him too much materia based abilities, since materia was more like... being used, rather than being innate.

Gungnir
2007-11-29, 09:31 AM
Don't forget, he has to be able to destroy giant buildings at will.

And if you make him into an antagonist, you'll have to create a size category over Colossal for his first form.

Xefas
2007-11-29, 09:55 AM
Well, I don't want to give him too much materia based abilities, since materia was more like... being used, rather than being innate.

The only magic that's innate in D&D belongs to the sorcerer. Everyone else gets it from somewhere. Wizards, for instance, need a spellbook to cast their spells. As they get better at magic, they put more powerful spells in their book, but they still need that book.

Sephiroth needed materia to do some of his magic. As he got better at magic, his materia leveled up, which put more powerful spells inside of it, but he stills needs that materia to use the spells.

He had to have some sort of experience/skill relating to magic, since all his materia were maxed out. (Not to mention the flying/polymorphing/solar-system-ending which aren't materia-related at all)

Neftren
2007-11-29, 10:20 PM
Don't forget, he has to be able to destroy giant buildings at will.

And if you make him into an antagonist, you'll have to create a size category over Colossal for his first form.

Remember, I'm not trying to copy Sephiroth. That could easily be done with a Monk and a Duskblade or something... I'm not giving him polymorph, I'm not letting him destroy people. I'm trying to design a class based around the original, uncorrupted Sephiroth as was shown in the original FF VII, up to the point with all the wierd clones at the mansion.

The only magic that's innate in D&D belongs to the sorcerer. Everyone else gets it from somewhere. Wizards, for instance, need a spellbook to cast their spells. As they get better at magic, they put more powerful spells in their book, but they still need that book.

Sephiroth needed materia to do some of his magic. As he got better at magic, his materia leveled up, which put more powerful spells inside of it, but he stills needs that materia to use the spells.

He had to have some sort of experience/skill relating to magic, since all his materia were maxed out. (Not to mention the flying/polymorphing/solar-system-ending which aren't materia-related at all)

Hmm, point taken. Well the only issue I have is that Sephiroth basically is only shown using the Black Materia, although he could have taken and corrupted the White Materia if he wanted. So perhaps I could have it alignment based. Those who represent Evil get the Black Materia, while those who represent Good get the White Materia...

EvilElitest
2007-11-29, 11:09 PM
Hm. is masamune really that oversized?
Do the shoulders really need their own ability?
Wouldn't most of his features resemble those in the Kensei PrC?
Isn't meteor a function of the Black Materia?
Shouldn't his awesome bangs be represented?

It is nine metors long. I think that is a tiny bit over sized considering Seph is around 6 3
from,
EE

Gungnir
2007-11-29, 11:15 PM
It is nine metors long. I think that is a tiny bit over sized considering Seph is around 6 3
from,
EE

Are you sure you don't mean nine feet? Nine meters is just shy of thirty feet, which I think even he might find a bit unwieldy. Just imagine getting on a bus with that thing.

Collin152
2007-11-29, 11:57 PM
Heh. Sephiroth on a bus.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-30, 12:53 AM
So...just what exactly does Sephiroth do, fighting-style-wise other than hit things very hard with a very big sword?

I mean, he can fly and cast spells, but not in his original form without Materia. So...we're pretty much limited to "has a big sword and swings it really hard". I think we have a few classes for that already.

Xefas
2007-11-30, 05:59 AM
Hmm, point taken. Well the only issue I have is that Sephiroth basically is only shown using the Black Materia, although he could have taken and corrupted the White Materia if he wanted. So perhaps I could have it alignment based. Those who represent Evil get the Black Materia, while those who represent Good get the White Materia...

Except during the Nibelheim flashback where you get to play as him for a bit, and he has almost every materia under the sun.

Fire 3, Ice 3, Bolt 3, Quake 3, Life 2, Cure 3, etc...lots and lots.

Hopeless
2007-11-30, 06:50 AM
Okay, I had the idea for some sort of dueling, master swordsman who wields an oversize weapon without penalties and manages to look cool as well as kickass in the process. So I'm compiling a bunch of ideas to put together and eventually get around to writing this thing.

Oversized Weapon Fighting
--Wields a Melee Slashing Weapon of a size category one larger than normal without penalty. This stacks with the Monkey Grip Feat.

Shoulders of Steel
--Character gains DR 5 vs. Slashing and a +2 armor bonus to AC that stacks with other armor bonuses to AC.

Of Rank and Regiment
--Character gains +X Bonus to all Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate checks with those associated with the Military or close to the Military.

Tap the Lifeline
--Character may absorb energy from nature and regains hitpoints equal to his class levels each day.

Black Meteor
--Character may summon _________ to aid them in battle?

Any other major things I missed? If not, I'll start writing this in as a Prestige Class I'm thinking.

I was kind of thinking he was something like a 5th level fighter and 12th level Sorceror and a sorceror who could choose spells from both arcane and divine lists so he could have weapon focus in his chosen weapon and then monkey fist so he could wield a larger weapon but perhaps an exotic weapon proficiency to explain why its a huge weapon instead of a large weapon since current rules would limit the size of the weapon BUT they did put that rule about bastard swords being medium weapons but needed an exotic weapon feat to wield one handed so why not a huge greatsword he can start off with weapon focus and exotic weapon prof with monkey fist at 3rd perhaps adding in sorceror levels to explain his mana abilities and as for armour they do still do piece meal armour don't they?
That is if he doesn't stick with abjurations such as shield or stoneskin...

Okay maybe not as out there s some of the things you've suggested but at least a start...

Neftren
2007-11-30, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I was wondering how Sephiroth managed to get all that Materia... I mean Nibelheim was a fun part of FF VII, except that he killed everything in basically one hit.

Anyway, to the above poster, and everyone else:
I'm not trying to model Sephiroth. I'm building a class based around him.

Gungnir
2007-11-30, 10:08 PM
So...just what exactly does Sephiroth do, fighting-style-wise other than hit things very hard with a very big sword?

I mean, he can fly and cast spells, but not in his original form without Materia. So...we're pretty much limited to "has a big sword and swings it really hard". I think we have a few classes for that already.

You've got a point. The only thing I can come up with is a really nice jump bonus that turns into a fly speed at 18th level.

Neftren
2007-12-01, 11:33 AM
Well, by RAW, a person can't just fly without either casting a spell, via supernatural ability or if you have wings. So... What if I had something like the Prismatic Spray spell, only you pick the "Materia." So there would be a Life Materia that auto-stabilizes you and heals you to 0 hitpoints if you go below... and a Fire/Ice/Quake Materia that does corresponding Fire/Cold or Bludgeon damage or something...

I'll go write up some basic mechanics on it.

Maerok
2007-12-01, 08:21 PM
I've always read that Masamune is 20 feet long.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-01, 10:29 PM
Well, by RAW, a person can't just fly without either casting a spell, via supernatural ability or if you have wings.

You could have an Epic Balance check.

Collin152
2007-12-01, 11:03 PM
You could have an Epic Balance check.

What, and balance on the air itself?

You may just have something there.

Neftren
2007-12-01, 11:06 PM
Okay, so maybe at say, 10th level, a character gains:

Balance of the Heavens
--At 10th level, a character may make a DC 30 Jump Check and a DC 50 Balance Check each round afterwards to fly at their base land speed with average maneuverability.

Collin152
2007-12-01, 11:17 PM
But you know, I could have sworn he could hover.

Behold_the_Void
2007-12-02, 12:27 AM
Out of curiosity, why do you need a class based on Sephiroth? Honestly, in his original, human form Sephiroth is just a normal fighter (Warblade if you want to be fancy). All his cool tricks come from his materia, which are more or less special magic items that grant him spell-like abilities, and the Jenova mutation, which could be modeled after the taint system.

EvilElitest
2007-12-02, 01:13 AM
link could beat him

I really should shut up now shouldn't I
from,
EE

Neftren
2007-12-02, 11:40 AM
Out of curiosity, why do you need a class based on Sephiroth? Honestly, in his original, human form Sephiroth is just a normal fighter (Warblade if you want to be fancy). All his cool tricks come from his materia, which are more or less special magic items that grant him spell-like abilities, and the Jenova mutation, which could be modeled after the taint system.

Well... why not? I mean, you can take the Ranger class and call it a scout, but does that mean you can't have a Scout class?

Behold_the_Void
2007-12-02, 12:11 PM
Well... why not? I mean, you can take the Ranger class and call it a scout, but does that mean you can't have a Scout class?

The question is why make a class designed around a specific set of rigidly unbreakable parameters when you can apply some homebrewed templates and magic items that are truer to the original intent of the concept and can actually be used for something else? Especially since it's way easier to homebrew things that can be added to a character than make a balanced 1-20 class or even 1-10 prestige class (which, if you REALLY have to do this, is more appropriate in this case) based around duplicating Sephiroth.

Neftren
2007-12-02, 12:32 PM
The concept is NOT TO DUPLICATE SEPHIROTH. As I pointed out several times earlier as well as in Bold Capital Letters. The idea is to build a class that is basically a huge weapon wielder with some cool special abilities that let him do various things.

I don't want to duplicate a guy who is literally superhuman that is nearly invincible and has also gone insane. These aren't rigidly unbreakable parameters. They just have to fit the basic huge sword and cool powers part, which basically every character has.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-03, 03:03 PM
I'd say it's based in Cloud... hehe...
Anyway, I tried making a class like this one, didn't work well.
You could just get a fullblade for the big sword thing.
Also, in the Quintessential Fighter there's a decently made PrC for fighters to carry big weapons.
And I don't get why the your warrior can use magic-like abilities. It would be better to use ToB like maneuvers. Devoted Spirit can do things like healing, for example.