PDA

View Full Version : Background feature for an “Olympic” athlete

Spiritchaser
2022-07-12, 09:33 AM
I have a new player with wants his background to be a competitive athlete, and in context of the campaign, think decathlon.

The character will be a hoplite styled fighter, probably battlemaster. I think champion will be a bit limited (and dull) but we’ll see what he likes

The player in question has a background as a competitive runner (he’s won marathons) and more recently as a track coach.

I’m not worried if the power is a shade strong as long as it’s not crazy. Most background features don’t directly impact combat. these do… I think that’s fine in the context of this player.

Some starting ideas:
Feature:
Race Day
Provided you have not gained a level of exhaustion over the preceding 6 days, you do not gain a level of exhaustion the first time it would normally be applied. You require 6 days rest without a level of exhaustion before using this feature again

Or maybe
Race Day
Provided you have not gained a level of exhaustion over the preceding 6 days, you may gain advantage on athletics checks a number of times equal to your proficiency.
You require 6 days rest without a level of exhaustion before using this feature again.

Better/more creative ideas very much appreciated

Amnestic
2022-07-12, 09:48 AM
The Theros book has a background for exactly this (called 'Athlete').

Its feature is as follows:

Feature: Echoes of Victory
You have attracted admiration among spectators, fellow athletes, and trainers in the region that hosted your past athletic victories. When visiting any settlement within 100 miles of where you grew up, there is a 50 percent chance you can find someone there who admires you and is willing to provide information or temporary shelter.

Between adventures, you might compete in athletic events sufficient enough to maintain a comfortable lifestyle, as per the "Practicing a Profession" downtime activity in chapter 8 of the Player's Handbook.

It's not super interesting, but it is in keeping with the 'standard' approach of giving you a way to get some free shelter and NPC connections (similar to Acolyte and Criminal).

Spiritchaser
2022-07-12, 09:53 AM
The Theros book has a background for exactly this (called 'Athlete').

Its feature is as follows:

It's not super interesting, but it is in keeping with the 'standard' approach of giving you a way to get some free shelter and NPC connections (similar to Acolyte and Criminal).

Sounds good, I don’t have that book, and likely won’t buy it… but it would likely be helpful for this campaign .

P. G. Macer
2022-07-12, 10:00 AM
Sounds good, I don’t have that book, and likely won’t buy it… but it would likely be helpful for this campaign .

If you use D&D Beyond, you can buy the background à la carte for a much cheaper price while leaving the rest of the book untouched.