View Full Version : Brainstorming a (MoTM) Kobold melee Twilight Cleric for AL

prototype00
2022-07-12, 09:10 PM
So it seems Kobold got some of changes in MoTM that make it a great melee cleric race:

- Draconic Cry only activates within 10ft, so you have to be close to the frontline.

- You get to pick a free Sorceror Cantrip, so no need to drop a feat on Booming Blade for Crusher/Spirit Guardians Shennanigans.

- Tasha’s stats allocation means that you can be an optimal Cleric, stat wise.

I’m just considering what to take for an ASI at 4th level:

- Warcaster
- +2 Wis
- Crusher
- Telekinetic to shove folks into Spirit Guardians

Anyone have experience with the new ‘bold as a cleric?

(Oh I’m guessing the Str would probably be preferable since you get heavy armor prof anyhow?)

follacchioso
2022-07-13, 07:42 AM
I like the idea of getting Booming Blade as Kobold's free cantrip.

However, this build may be too "Action" overloaded:

- Twilight Sanctuary takes one Action to cast. This is a massive defensive boost for you and your allies, and you probably want to cast it at the beginning of the combat.
- Spirit Guardian requires another Action to cast
- On your third turn, you can start casting your Booming Blades. However, being a Cleric, STR will probably be your third stat in terms of priority, as you need WIS and CON first. So your melee attacks will not always land.
- Draconic Cry will help, but it only last one turn. You will probably want to cast it on the third turn, so you can adv on your own attacks.

In short, I would not invest too much in Melee, as you will have much better things to do with your Action than attacking. I would go for Telekinetic, +2 Wis, or Warcaster.

prototype00
2022-07-13, 10:38 AM
I like the idea of getting Booming Blade as Kobold's free cantrip.

However, this build may be too "Action" overloaded:

- Twilight Sanctuary takes one Action to cast. This is a massive defensive boost for you and your allies, and you probably want to cast it at the beginning of the combat.
- Spirit Guardian requires another Action to cast
- On your third turn, you can start casting your Booming Blades. However, being a Cleric, STR will probably be your third stat in terms of priority, as you need WIS and CON first. So your melee attacks will not always land.
- Draconic Cry will help, but it only last one turn. You will probably want to cast it on the third turn, so you can adv on your own attacks.

In short, I would not invest too much in Melee, as you will have much better things to do with your Action than attacking. I would go for Telekinetic, +2 Wis, or Warcaster.

Indeed you are correct, first two rounds will be that setup, but starting from round 2 I can push folks into the Spirit Guardians if I have Telekinetic, so maybe I'll grab that first and then Warcaster.

RogueJK
2022-07-13, 10:43 AM
Warcaster first.

It not only helps you keep up your Spirit Guardians (and other Concentration spells), but when combined with your racial Booming Blade also gives you a way to punish someone trying to leave the Spirit Guardians aura.

follacchioso
2022-07-13, 11:01 AM
Consider that most fights do not last more than a few rounds. You also need to take into account the time needed to get into melee range; you may have to spend an action or two dashing.

(I am biased, but I think Orcs make the best melee clerics after MotM)

prototype00
2022-07-13, 09:15 PM
Warcaster first.

It not only helps you keep up your Spirit Guardians (and other Concentration spells), but when combined with your racial Booming Blade also gives you a way to punish someone trying to leave the Spirit Guardians aura.

Yeah, this is probably the most effective choice mechanically.

I’ll see whether my Shennanigans loving heart tends to this or Telekinetic when I reach 4th level.