PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Multiclass Battlemaster/Rogue: Disarming attack and Arcane Trickster's mage hand

HotGarbage420
2022-07-14, 02:20 AM
Okay so this is my first post ever here. Sorry if I have some formatting errors.

So let's say you have a multiclass: Arcane Trickster Rogue and Battlemaster Fighter. Disarming attack states:

When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it’s holding. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.

The Rogue's mage hand states:

Starting at 3rd level, when you cast mage hand, you can make the spectral hand invisible, and you can perform the following additional tasks with it:

You can stow one object the hand is holding in a container worn or carried by another creature.
You can retrieve an object in a container worn or carried by another creature.
You can use thieves’ tools to pick locks and disarm traps at range.

You can perform one of these tasks without being noticed by a creature if you succeed on a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Perception) check.

In addition, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to control the hand.

Does this mean in one turn, I can use the battlemaster's Disarming attack first, disarm the enemy, and then as a bonus action use my mage hand to swipe the weapon away from the enemy? Would it work mechanically?

Of course, this is assuming I already had mage hand cast prior to combat.

follacchioso
2022-07-14, 02:41 AM
It would work, assuming that the mage hand has been cast before, and it is within range.

It is not overpowered because you can also use your Free Object Interaction to pick the weapon by yourself. However, the mage hand would allow you to do it with ranged attacks (although a bit clumsily, as the hand needs to be close to the enemy), or when you have your hands full.

Keravath
2022-07-15, 12:03 PM
It would work but the item also needs to weigh less than 10 pounds.

The DM might also give the target an opportunity to prevent the weapon from being moved if they notice it being lifted. Perhaps using their reaction combined with a dexterity save but that would be a DM call based on the situation and not RAW.

Edit: In the case of a free object interaction pickup - it might or might not work depending on whether the DM requires the character to be in the same square/location as the item they are trying to pick up. Since you can't occupy an opponents square at any time unless they are two sizes larger, the opportunity to pick up a weapon at the feet of an opponent might not come up. (I think this is likely the RAW for the situation). In this case, the mage hand lets you pick up an item you might not normally be able to reach.

If the DM allows you to pick up items in adjacent squares/location then, I would tend to run it with the target having a chance to notice and prevent the weapon being picked up whether it was being done with a mage hand or a free object interaction since it is hard to picture someone running in to another creature's feet and picking something up without at least offering up some sort of opportunity attack.

MrStabby
2022-07-15, 12:16 PM
It's also worth considering order cleric or druid/bard 3 for heat metal for similar uses.