PDA

View Full Version : OneBookShelf (owner of DTRPG and DMs Guild) is "joining forces with" Roll20...

137beth
2022-07-14, 10:25 AM
...and the announcemen (https://pressreleases.triplepointpr.com/2022/07/13/roll20-and-onebookshelf-joining-forces-gain-5-to-intelligence/)t has a lot of buzzwords with not a lot of information. They say the current CEO of OBS will join the board of Roll20, which makes it sound like Roll20 is buying OBS. But then they say Roll20 is "partnering with" OBS. So is this a case of two companies working together, or are they actually merging into one company?

As someone who has bought a lot from DriveThruRPG in the past and doesn't have much experience with VTTs, this announcement of whatever it is doesn't make me particularly eager to give more money to either company (or is it just one company now? I don't know!)

Lord Torath
2022-07-14, 11:43 AM
The idea I got was that you will be able buy products from One Book Shelf directly through Roll20, and possibly share those with your players. I'll admit I didn't read through the announcement terribly carefully, though.

Grod_The_Giant
2022-07-14, 05:11 PM
My hope is that books you buy on DriveThruRPG/DMs Guild will be available as compendiums for roll20 games.

Easy e
2022-07-15, 09:32 AM
What is also interesting is that One Book shelf does a lot more than RPGs. They are connected set of 5 or so sites that sell a variety of fan-made content and take a 30% cut of it all.

I hope this means that Roll20 will NOT be limiting or influencing the future expansion of One Book Shelf products and services to fit their own "core demographic".