PDA

View Full Version : Isekai Campaign

Sk8ter274
2022-07-15, 03:01 PM
Long story short, I've decided to start write an isekai campaign for my players.

They took several online in depth quizzes to determine their race and class which ended up with only one human.

In order to clamp down on metagaming, I haven't exactly corrected them when they assume it's going to be in the Forgotten Realms. It's actually in a completely homebrewed world and I personally can't wait for the moment when they ask for direction for Waterdeep and an NPC goes Huh? and they panic like in Aliens (https://youtu.be/kdqyG3CcoLM)

However, I'm having issues coming up with questlines for them. I mean long over arching questlines in lieu of a single BBEG pulling the strings. The party will mostly be wandering around in a sandbox type of way and it's going to be implied that they if they want to return home they will need gain access to powerful kinds of magic. Here are some of the important details in the world

1. Magic used to exist in the world, but returns just as the party arrives

A) "Age of Common Wonder" roughly 12K years before their BCE moment. This is which all the Faerun gods existed as per normal lore.

B) BCE moment is called the Divine Death where connection to the Divine was suddenly severed without warning and magic ceased to exist. BDD = Before the Divine Death & ADD = After the Divine Death

C) 0 - 1200 ADD is called the "Mundane Age" and the world has adapted and gotten along without magic and even monsters has faded into legend.

D)1205 ADD - ??? is going to be referred as the "Age of Resurgence" and essentially each nation deals with the return of magic and monster in their own way.

2. Religious unrest
A) A new religion sweeps the world and become the dominant religion ala the Roman Catholic Church during 200 ADD called Astrolosism which worships a family of three deities (Mother Morningstar, Father Morningstar, & the Son Morningstar)
B) When magic returns so do the Faerun gods who began speaking to people and creating new generation of clerics. Naturally, the church of Astrolosism is not going to give up power easily so all others religion are branded heretics and that whole mess. (Note: Only the faerun clerics can actually perform magic as their gods are real, but the public isn't aware.)

3. Nations based IRL
A) Matriarchal Half Elven Nation is essentially France
A1) Humans conquered elven nation during the Age of Common Wonder and have completely integrated the elven population over their centuries.

B) Germany & Russia
B1) Separated by mountains from Elves, Orcs (German) share a border with Goliaths (Russians) to the frozen north.

C) Cajuns nation
C1) Drow (Creole) & Lizardfolk (Cajuns) reside to the far south in their own independent nation after being driven out (freed from slavery after hundred of revolts) from elven nation.

Questlines so far

1. Class Reunion.
I had an idea after watching the anime "I'm a spider, so what?". Where the party isn't the only one isekai'd and a classroom was also transported. I was thinking that a classroom of 25 students spread out in groups of 5 all over the world and the party helps reunite them. It would play with the party meets one (much younger since our group average is 25) and that's how they learn they're aren't alone. From there I'd assume that the others would not remain quiet in the world and party is usually hired o deal with it. For example, a particular female pirate is making a lot of noise and it turns out they escaped from a slave ship and became pirate to free more slaves and survive. Or Goliath tribe is growing a bit too powerful and smart and the leader is another student, etc. I figured they do it every time they travel to a new nation and group can come back in the final battle against the BBEEg at lvl 20 or something

2. The Family Business
My homage to Supernatural. Essentially a faction that functions like The Witchers, called the The Hunters, were an essentially part to survival in life during the Age of Common Wonder. However, they faded into legend once the Mundane Age began as monsters and magic disappeared along with thier reason for existing. I thought I'd have the party restart the organization by clearing out the few standing fortresses throughout the world to gain access the treasure trove of forgotten knowledge and magical items.

That is all I have so far other than the rinse and repeat idea of mysterious monster is making life unsafe in the town/city, party investigates and discovers what it is, party finds it lair and kills it.[LIST=1]