PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cleric Domain: Dreams

MrStabby
2022-07-15, 07:31 PM
Been a long time since I homebrewed anything so I thougt I would dip my toe in the water again by starting small.

Dreams abound. As something both physical and metaphysical, as a thing itself but also a harbinger of something more dreams have dual nature. Dreams are both sides of the mirror and this duality encompases both the mortal and the divinde. As a cleric of a god of dreams you have the power to twist the world, to bend the senses and bring the madness of nightmares upon your enemies.

Dreams Domain Spells

Level 1
Sleep, Dissonant Whispers

Level 3
Darkness, Phanasmal Force

Level 5
Catnap, Hypnotic Pattern

Level 7
Divination, Halucinatory Terrain

Level 9
Dream, Commune

Level 1
Empowered by Dreams
Whenever a creaure fails a wisdom save when you cast one of your leveled spells you may gain a number of temporary hitpoints equal to d4 plus the spell's level.

Level 2
Channel Divinity: Touched by Nightmares
You channel the memory of every restless night and terifying dream a creature has ever had back into their consciousness. Chose a creature you can see within 30ft and that has intelligence 7 or greater, that creature must make three wisdom saves and suffers a level of exhaustion for each save passed. If a creature does not need to sleep it is immune to this effect. All exhaustion levels are removed after one minute. Levels of exhaustion gained through this ability do not stack with other uses of the same ability.

Level 6
Prophetic Dream
Every dream has an element of truth to it - some of the past and some of the future. You tease out the dreams of your enemies and fashion rudimentary prophecies from them, giving you a measure of insight into the future. Whenever a creature fails a wisdom save when you cast one of your levelled spells you get advantage on the next save or ablity check you make within the next 10 minutes.

Level 8
Potent spellcasting
you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip

Level 17
Magister of the Dreamscape
You hold sway over the world of dreams and can cause its power to infuse you or your allies. Whenever you cast a spell that heals one or more creatures, you may have one of those creatures deal d6 points of psychic damage per level of the spell to their target the next time they hit a creature with an attack in the next ten minutes.

Intended pros and cons and description of intent:

Powerful spell list for a domain, not just some good spells but really covering things that clerics don't generally do that well. I see a lot of the 'power budget' for the domain sitting in the spell list. Hypnotic pattern is stand out, but there are no superspells like conjure animals, counterspell or wall of force from other classes added and it is somewhat tempered by some sells being from the cleric class list.

Empowered dreams and prophetic dreams are really giving you some bonuses to landing those dream domain spells. There is a tension here in that both of these are pushing you towards tanking a bit more - better able to pass concentration saves and some useful temp HP (potential power is somewhat curtailed by he abilities not stacking with themselves), on the other hand the class doesn't give extra weapon or armour proficiencies so its good, but hard to build around. Odd phrasing is mostly to avoid being an unkillable tank through spirit guardians. The intention is for these to be relatively weak abilities (or at least the level 1 ability), the level 6 ability to pass a save is likely to make a difference from time to time.

The channel divinity is intended to be a a bit of a boost, especially at high levels. So many enemies immune to charm, having true sight, or similar defences means an effect that doesn't fall foul of these defences is good and lets the cleric fulfill their function still. The cleric is still a cleric and has all the usual healing/buffing elements so it doesn't have to be a total crutch, but just a gentle expansion of abilities to preserve the theme. he multi-save mechanic is intended to give a small edge vs legendary saves but also to let the cleric do something without it being either zero effect or encounter endingly powerful. As exhaustion doens't really start to bite hard till the third level this is preet weak (although if it forced an additional save at higher levels or was an area of effect ability it might be better).

Magister of the Dreamscape was added because I wanted to return to the class as a cleric. Adding all of these other abilities is fine, but I felt there needed to be a bit of an interaction with the core cleric element. Also, at high levels the domain spells are going to become less and less useful as condition immunities proliferate. This late game ability is intended to somewhat offset the declining utility of both the spell list and the class features that key off it by being pretty strong. There is an element of self regulation in the power though - if, in a campaign, there are still a lot of enemies susceptable to the wisdom save spells, then you will be using less spells for healing and get less value from this ability and vice versa. To give a sense of scaling, it is like adding sneak attack damage from a rogue of the lowest character level that could cast the spell.

I tried to do a sanity check for multiclassing - do dips give you something abusable? Maybe... a little? Empowered by dreams will support any enchanment themed character a bit - and dipping into a level of cleric for a class like sorcerer will give spells an armour already, but I just don't see this competing with things like hexblade or cleric domains that give you heavy armour. The channel divinity is probably not really calling to many people - three failed saves needed to have a big effect.

And dipping the other way? Maybe warlock for more spell slots? Not sold. A class for heavy armour? I think it is OK.

Breccia
2022-07-16, 03:47 AM
The subclass seems okay to me, more or less. The level 1 and 8 powers are fine, but when you say "Dreams" I don't immediately think of temp hp and bonus damage from cantrips. That said, I don't really have a replacement for them, either.

I really want to talk about the Channel Divinity. There are very few ways for players to force Exhaustion on enemies, so I'm not really all that worried that this will put someone at 6 ranks and therefore instant death -- especially with 3 saving throws involved and this ability not stacking.

As a reminder:
1 failed save = Disadvantage on Abiilty Checks. Other than grappling, I can't think of a lot this does in combat.
2 failed saves = half speed. Can be used to cheese some opponents to death by fleeing and throwing things, but in enclosed areas ("dungeons") not a massive game changer.
3 failed saves = Disadvantage on Attacks and Saving Throws. This will mess up everyone.

The Int requirement and the fact that it won't work on the sleepless undead/constructs, as well as a single target, means a lot has to line up for this Channel Divinity to have a dramatic effect. If anything, it feels underpowered.

MrStabby
2022-07-16, 05:11 AM
It wasn't intended to be a particularly strong ability but I think weak abilities are better being niche than just flat bad. There were two things I suggested to make it better. 1 making this an area of effect for every enemy in 30 ft. 2 increasing the number of saves. Even at just 4 saves it gets a lot better.

Honestly, I could see boosting both ways and it still just being "good", but the cumulative effect of the rest of the class might be too strong.

The temp HP thing does feel a bit out. I wanted a feel of siphoning mental energy and to start the 'when an enemy fails a wisdom save' mechanic but also wanted something that wouldn't stack with itself or be too overpowering or synergistic.

I guess I could replace it with doing some psychic damage under the same conditions. But whilst it could work, it seems a bit less cleric themed.