PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Weredragon STRonk concept

RogueJK
2022-07-16, 12:29 PM
My group is about to start a Spelljammer campaign, and I've had a character concept knocking around in my head for a little while that I'm considering. I've been wanting to try out the STR-based armored Monk concept that is brought up from time to time on this forum. I have my doubts about the usefulness of the Armored Monk, but figured this could be an opportunity to get hands-on experience in place of just theory.

So I'm envisioning a Weredragon Shifter, combining Longtooth Shifter with Ascendant Dragon Monk. Flavor-wise, this gets me a number of dragon-related abilities and a dragon-style bite attack. Mechanically, it gets me a racial Bonus Action unarmed strike bite attack while Shifted, to make up for the loss of Martial Arts by wearing armor.

For background: Campaign starts at Level 1, and will run through at least Level 8 (the end of the new Spelljammer adventure module), with a possibility of continuing with Homebrew from there. Our homebrew campaigns typically end in Tier 3. All published materials are available, except for Peace or Twilight Cleric, which the DM believes to be unbalanced. Character generation is standard Point Buy.

Here's what I have so far:
Longtooth Shifter War Cleric 1 -> Ascendant Dragon Monk 7+
STR 14+2
DEX 13
CON 13
INT 8
WIS 13+1
CHA 13
Racial Skill: Intimidation
Cleric Skills: Insight, Persuasion
Pirate Background Skills: Athletics, Perception
Cleric Cantrips: Guidance, Mending, Sacred Flame
Cleric 1st level Spells (2 slots per day): Bless, Healing Word, Detect Magic, Shield of Faith*, Divine Favor*
ASI: 14 DEX/14 CON, 14 CHA/14 CON, or Crusher for 14 CON at Monk 4, then 18 STR at Monk 8

Using Heavy Armor, a Shield, and a Warhammer. (While a Maul and GWM could noticeably increase the damage output, with the MADness of a STR-based Monk, I'm finding it hard to fit GWM in before Level 12 or later...)

I strongly prefer characters that have regular uses for their Bonus Actions and Reactions... I hate leaving action economy on the table. And this character seems to have several good options for its Bonus Actions and Reactions.

For example, I have multiple options for Bonus Action Attacks, despite the loss of the Martial Arts ability:
1) War Priest for a BA Warhammer Attack twice per day
2) Utilizing Dedicated Weapon to make the Warhammer a Monk Weapon, Ki-Fueled Attack allows for a BA Warhammer attack anytime I spend Ki during my Action (such as with Focused Aim or Stunning Strike)
3) Longtooth Shifting enables a BA Bite attack for 1 minute at a time, with Shifting usable Proficiency Bonus times per day. This can be combined with using Ki for Flurry of Blows while Shifted to make 2x Bite Attacks per BA. I can also swap the bite's damage to elemental damage via Draconic Strike.

Or, when not Shifted and not eligible for a BA Warhammer attack, I could also use Ki to enable Bonus Action Step of the Wind or Patient Defense.

What are you thoughts on this build? It seems like a viable, non-super-optimized, but potentially interesting character that would let me get some real-life experience with the STRonk idea.