PDA

View Full Version : Balanced & Simplified Invisible Blade Fix

Biscuit
2022-07-17, 08:51 AM
D&D 3.5 - Invisible Blade
(Complete Warrior, p. 44)

The typical Invisible Blade was once a rogue, who chose this path because his sneak attack ability dovetailed nicely with the abilities of this prestige class. Bards and Monks are also good candidates, as are barbarians, fighters, and rangers who are willing to exchange their arsenals of weapons for a less cumbersome approach. Clerics and druids ´seldom choose this class, perceiving its members as faithless, while paladins ironicallt view invisible blades as too self-absorbed. Sorcerers and wizards rarelz become Invisible Blades because they don't appreciate the class's lack of offensive options and tight focus on weapon use.

NPC Invisible Blades are silently egotystical gladiators who regard their fighting style as superior to all other martial philosephies. They place enormous emphasis on making a single decisive strike, thereby hoping to end a bout in a single round. Most invisible Blades pick up their skills in a guild. A few, however, learn from seasoned professionals who expect a potential gladiator to practice fanatically with the dagger or similar weapons until they can pass the required rite-of-passage combat.

Requirements

Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Feint, Weapon Focus (Any weapon that would function with the Dagger Sneak Attack ability of this class - see below)

Skills: Bluff 8 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks.

Hit die d6

Skill Points: 6 + Int

The invisible blade’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Hide (Dex), Innuendo (Cha), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

LevelBABFortReflexWillClass Features[/tr]

1+1+0+2+0Dagger Sneak Attack +1d6, Unfettered Defense
2+2+0+3+0Bleeding Wound
3+3+1+3+1Dagger Sneak Attack +2d6, Surprising Riposte
4+4+1+4+1Feint Mastery
5+5+1+4+1Dagger Sneak Attack +3d6, Uncanny Feint

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Heirs of Siberys gain no new proficiencies with any weapons, armor, or shields.

Dagger Sneak Attack (Ex): An Invisible Blade gains the sneak attack ability if they do not already have it, but the extra damage applies only to sneak attacks made with daggers and other dagger-like weapons. This includes weapons such as the Dagger, Kukri, Punching Dagger, Triple Dagger, Claw Bracer, Fingerblade, Eagle's Claw, Flutter Blade, Stump Knife, Gnome Quickrazer, Spiked Gauntlet, Drow Long Knife, and Sai (DMs may allow other, similar weapons, at their discretion). When making a sneak attack with one of these weapons, he deals an extra 1d6 points of damage at 1st level, and this increases to 2d6 at 3rd level and to 3d6 at 5th level. If he already has the sneak attack ability from a previous class, the applicable bonuses on damage rolls stack.

Unfettered Defense (Ex): An Invisible Blade benefits from an increased survival instinct during combat. Because of this sixth sense, they add 1 point of Intelligence bonus (if any) per Invisible Blade class level to their Armor Class in addition to any other modifiers they would normally receive. If the Invisible Blade is caught flat-footed or is otherwise denied their Dexterity modifier to Armor Class, they also lose this bonus. Unfettered defense functions only when an Invisible Blade is wearing light armor or unarmred, and is currently armed with one or more small bladed weapons that encompassed by their Small Blade Sneak Attack ability as their only weapons.

Bleeding Wound (Ex): An Invisible Blade of 2nd level or higher who makes a successful dagger sneak attack can choose to deal a bleeding wound, sacrificing 1d6 points of the extra damage from the dagger sneak attack. Such an attack deals damage as normal in the round when the attack hits. Thereafter, the wound caused by the Invisible Blade's dagger bleeds for 1 point of damage per round. Multiple wounds from the weapon result in cumulative bleeding loss (two wounds for 2 points of damage per round, and so on). The bleeding can only be stopped by a Heal Check with a DC equal to 15 + their Intellegence modifier Heal or the application of any cure spell or other healing spell (heal, healing circle, and so on). Creatures immune to sneak attack damage are immune to Bleeding Wounds as well.

Surprising Riposte (Ex): At 3rd level, an Invisible Blade gains the Surprising Riposte (Drow of the Underdark, p. 52) feat as a bonus feat.

Feint Mastery (Ex): At 4th level, an Invisible Blade armed with a dagger or dagger-like weapons that encompassed by their Dagger Sneak Attack ability becomes so sure of his ability to mislead opponents that they can take 10 on all Bluff checks when feinting in combat (see page 68 of the Player's Handbook), even if stress and distractions would normally prevent him from doing so. If the Invisible Blade already has the ability to do so from another source (or gain it later from another source), they instead add a Moral bonus to their feint checks equal to their Invisible Blade class level.

Uncanny Feint (Ex): At 5th level, the character can feint in combat as a free action, but no more than once per round. An Invisible Blade can use uncanny feint only when armed with a weapon that is usable with their Dagger Sneak Attack ability.

Removed Far Shot and Point Blank Shot as prerequisites because...wtf does that have to do with dagger fighting??? Replaced them with feats far more appropriate - Combat Expertise & Improved Feint.
I've changed Dagger Sneak Attack to allow for several dagger-like weapons that were published after this prestige class that would be an 'easy ask' from most DMs.
I've replaced the first iteration of Uncanny Feint (that replicates the effect of Improved Feint, which is now a prerequisite) with a bonus feat that requires Improved Feint as a prerequisite - Surprising Reposte.
I've altered the text of Feint Mastery to allow for a bonus to feint if you have the ability to 'take 10' in Bluff for a feint from another source.
Lastly, I bumped the skill points from 4 to 6 per level, because this is a rogue prestige class at heart, and having only 4 seems unnecessarily cruel to our rogue brethren. I also removed the special prerequisite of 'defeating a worthy opponent' because it is vague and not really relevant.

H_H_F_F
2022-07-17, 01:55 PM
You've forgotten to edit uncanny feint's dirst iteration, I think.

This seems overall fine - the main issue with invisible blade has always been prereqs and the errata making it a swift action instead of a free action.

I am concerned about how loose your small blade thing is. It's written as 2 lb - bladed - examples. But "bladed" isn't a keyword, and 2 lb is trivial to achieve with weapons that aren't what you're going for here.

I'd change the name back to "dagger sneak attack", and simply states that it works on any of [listed weapons], and any other daggerlike weapon your DM approves of. Less trouble.

Thanks for your work!

Biscuit
2022-07-22, 02:42 PM
You've forgotten to edit uncanny feint's dirst iteration, I think.

This seems overall fine - the main issue with invisible blade has always been prereqs and the errata making it a swift action instead of a free action.

I am concerned about how loose your small blade thing is. It's written as 2 lb - bladed - examples. But "bladed" isn't a keyword, and 2 lb is trivial to achieve with weapons that aren't what you're going for here.

I'd change the name back to "dagger sneak attack", and simply states that it works on any of [listed weapons], and any other daggerlike weapon your DM approves of. Less trouble.

Thanks for your work!

Thank you for your input! I've made the corrections and added a stipulation that Uncanny Feint can only be used once per round, which is a compromise between free and swift action. :)