PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Homebrew Sorcerer Class

ThatDuckGrant
2022-07-17, 09:15 AM
I've been spending some time thinking about how to make a solid gish in the sorcerer class, and there really isn't a good option. The Draconic Bloodline is just so dull for a melee character, and requires being MAD. If I wanted make a mad full caster gish, I'd make a bladesinger 100 times before I made a draconic soul. The obvious answer is "Make a Sorcadin" but I think I might try to convince my DM to let me play a homebrew subclass. So I thought I'd get some opinions here on fine tuning it before I bring it to any tables. Here goes:

Hero Soul Sorcerer:

You have been blessed with the guidance of an ancient and great warrior of the past. The warrior guides you, granting you a supernatural prowess in battle that seems unnatural or uncanny to most. Unlike most martial talents, your abilities don't come from years of training and discipline, but seem to spring from you instinctually. You enter a trancelike state, especially when empowering yourself through spellcasting, and your body seems to move on its own accord as you tap into the knowledge of the great hero who has touched your consciousness.

Warrior's Knowledge (1st level feature):
The hero grants you the battle knowledge gained in his or her lifetime. You gain proficiency with simple weapons, martial weapons, and shields, as well as the Athletics and Acrobatics skills. Additionally, when you concentrate on a Sorcerer spell that has a range of self or targets only you, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity for your attack and damage rolls.

The Fire Within (6th level feature):
Your soul burns with an undying energy that sustains you in the thick of battle. While you maintain concentration on a spell and are not wearing armor, your AC is equal to 13 + Your Constitution Modifier. You can still benefit from a shield while calculating your AC this way. Additionally, when you are reduced to 0 hitpoints, you can use your reaction to make a Constitution saving throw (DC 5 + the damage taken). On a success, you instead drop to 1 hitpoint. You can use this reaction a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and regain all uses after a long rest.

Unbreakable void (14th level feature)
You learn to block out the world and focus completely on your battle prowess, allowing you to maintain your concentration where others fail. When you would fail a concentration saving throw, you can use your reaction to instead succeed. You may also use this reaction immediately upon falling unconscious, as the spirit of the hero aids in maintaining your concentration while you regain your consciousness.

Veteran's Intuition (18th level feature):
The experience from thousands of battles over multiple lifetimes allows you to always find yourself one step ahead of your foes. You have advantage on any saving throw for effects created by creatures, as long as the creature is not hidden from you, and you are not surprised.

Notes:
The goal of this build is to create a Sorcerer class that leans into building both Charisma and Constitution, while giving the character enough durability to survive on the frontlines. The theme of gaining benefits from concentrating on spells is one that only briefly exists in the War Mage class, and I like the flavor of your spells being manifestations of your Hero Soul.

The first level effects are numerous, but I don't feel like they are out of line with other proficiencies given at first level. Additionally, adding Cha-based weapon attacks with the limitation of concentrating on a SORCERER spell will hopefully avoid hexblade-like dip shenanigans. It's also limited to spells that only affect you, incentivising the sorcerer to take metamagic options besides twin.

The 6th level feature makes the character tough, with decent AC and a double incentive to invest in boosting their CON score. Allowing the character to make the saving throw attempt PB times per day might be a bit too much. Should it just be once per day?

The 14th level feature gives insurance on using riskier concentration spells, and gives this sorcerer an ability not yet seen in 5e - concentration while unconscious. Are there any game-breaking abuses of this that I can't think of?

The 18th level feature just makes you sturdier, in a reliable and somewhat unique way - similar to the Barbarian's 2nd level feature.

I need to add at least one "free" spell known to this subclass to make it match up with other subclasses. I was thinking spiritual weapon, but it might be nice to include a self buff spell instead. Also, adding any cleric spell steps on Divine Soul's toes. Adding Tenser's Transformation really rounds out the build, but I'm not sure which feature to include it with, and adding spells of 6th+ level isn't usually done in 5e. Any other ideas?

MrStabby
2022-07-17, 09:23 AM
{Scrubbed}

RSP
2022-07-19, 06:29 AM
I’m not great with judging homebrew, but it doesn’t seem off.

The biggest issue with a melee Sorc is their low HPs while on the frontline. I’ve found the best way to mitigate this is to see if your DM will allow Sorc (and only Sorc) to use the Spell Point Variant rule. For a Sorc, the SP Variant is essentially a more efficient version of their 2nd level Font of Magic, so it isn’t the same degree of buff as it would be on a Wizard, Bard, etc.

The main advantage to using SPV is it allows more frequent use of Shield and AE, when needed for defense: which is basically the Sorc’s damage mitigation tool and will be needed quite often.

For melee offense, it eventually (as you level) let’s you cast Shadow Blade more often, which lets you compete better with melee damage output.

I’ve played this with a melee Sorc Divine Soul and Clockwork Soul, either of which also gets you Aid, which helps get the PC a bit of extra HPs to further the front lining.

I found arranging stats for Dex>Con>Cha worked well. If you don’t dump Str and grab Athletics prof, Tasha’s optional 5th level Sorc ability to reroll “failed” skill checks makes it a decent grappler as well.

Chronic
2022-07-19, 06:44 AM
It's not bad, but it's on the week side of the sorcerer subclass. The level 14 feature should be limited to "a number of time a day equal to your proficiency bonus". And I would add something to actually help the sorcerer in melee like:
Eldritch fighter:
You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
When you take the attack action, you can use a bonus action to cast a cantrip.

I would grant this around level 7.