PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5th Edition Ranger Subclass: The Warden (Lair Ranger) PEACH

Patquin
2022-07-18, 06:43 AM
I've been knocking this idea around in my head for some time now and I am at the stage where I think I'm ready to start passing it around to see what other folks may have to say on the matter. I got my inspiration during a watch through of Rambo, specifically when the sheriff and his deputies are getting taken down one by one in the forest. Definitely built for more of a sedentary campaign or serialized adventures around a specific area. I'll be happy to hear any feed back, and thank you for reading.

5th ed. Ranger Subclass: Warden
Some rangers choose to remain in one area and act as a guardian over it. To do so, they often need a base of operations, so they create for themselves a lair from which they go ranging from. These rangers become Wardens with territories that often acts as a buffer against the evils that lurk at civilization's edges. Though there are some Rangers that set up their lairs inside of cities, and work against the evils within civilization as vigilantes.

Level 3 - Establishing a Lair
At level 3, when you take this subclass, you gain the ability to create a Lair for you and your party.
A Warden can only construct their Lair in their Favored Terrain.
Typically, a Lair is repurposed from a preexisting structure, like an abandoned tower, a cleared dungeon, a cave, or some other preferably vacant domicile. To establish a Lair in one such structure takes the span of 1 uninterrupted day.
If a Warden must construct a Lair from scratch, then they must spend 1 uninterrupted week to construct it. The Lair is created out of simple materials such as wood, rope, stacked stone, and canvas. The total area of the structure can not exceed 50ft in any dimension. The layout of the lair should be logical for the area its built in, and adhere to any sort of limitations brought about by the terrain. For example, a Lair constructed in the bows of a large tree may have platforms amidst the branches connected by ladders or rope bridges.
Lairs can be hidden, or out in the open depending on how the Warden wishes it to be. Work with your DM as to any ways you can conceal your Lair, and what DCs may be required to find it.
You can establish 1 additional Lair at 7th, 11th, and 15th level. If you do not use a Lair for 3 months however, you lose your claim to it and the Territory it oversaw, as something else might have moved in or it was reclaimed by nature.
Benefits:
Establishing a Lair gives the Warden 1 square mile of Territory around it. The Warden automatically succeeds any (Wis) Survival check within his territory. This Territory expands by 2 square miles at 7th level, and another 2 at both 11th and 15th level.
Within his Territory a Warden may perform Lair Actions.
When taking a Long or Short Rest in their Lair, a Warden and their allies gain Temporary Hitpoints equal to half your Ranger Class Level, rounded up, for 24hours.

Lair Actions
When you have a Territory, you use your knowledge of it and the time you spent establishing it to prepare certain advantageous traps and tricks for any who would challenge you.
When you take this subclass at level 3, you begin by choosing 2 Lair actions from the list below, and another 2 Lair actions at 7th, 11th, and 15th level.
When Combat begins, the Warden's Lair Actions occur on Innitiative 20, losing any ties. The Warden selects which of the Lair Actions he wishes to use that he knows.
The Save DCs of these Lair Actions are 8 + Wisdom Modifier + Proficiency Bonus.
You may apply any bonus damage from your Favored Enemy to damage rolls from your Lair Actions.
If you have Poison in your inventory, you may expend it in conjunction with a Lair Action that deals damage. You must declare this Before the target makes their saving throw to determine if they are hit by the Lair Action.
If the target of a Warden's Lair Action is invisible, or otherwise obscured from the sight of the Warden, they have advantage on the saving throw to avoid the effects of the Warden's Lair Action. The Warden cannot target enemies with his Lair Actions that he is not aware of.
The Warden's Lair Actions do not reveal the Warden if he is hidden. However, after each Lair Action takes effect, all enemies that are not surprised may make new Perception checks to locate the Warden, if possible.
Lair Actions that deal damage increase the amount of damage die by 1 at 7th, 11th, and 15th level.

-----------------------------------
Tension/Spring Trap - A target creature makes a Dex saving throw. If they fail, they take 1d8 piercing damage.
Trip Line Trap - A target makes a Dex saving throw. If they fail, they fall prone.
Obscuring Trap - A target makes a Dex saving throw. If they fail, they are blinded until the end of their next turn.
Snare Trap - A target makes a Dex Saving throw. If they fail, they are Grappled until the end of their next turn.
Dead Fall - A target makes a Dex saving throw. If they are prone, they have disadvantage on the roll. If they fail, they take 4d8 points of bludgeoning damage. You must complete a Short Rest before using this Lair Action again.
Spider Hole - The Warden or one of their allies within 30ft of them becomes completely obscured by well placed camouflage and can make a Stealth Check. Any enemies who can see the target when he does this may make Perception checks in order to not lose track of the target. Any enemies engaged in melee combat or otherwise distracted have disadvantage on this check. Any enemies within 5ft of the target have Advantage on this check. You must complete a Short Rest before using this Lair Action again.
Decoy - Create a Decoy of the Warden within 30ft of the Warden's Location. Any enemy who has not used their reaction, can see the decoy, and is able to attack the decoy, does so starting with the closest. The Decoy has an AC of 10 and HP of 1. If the Decoy is destroyed, any enemy that has not attacked it yet, does not, and retains their Reaction. You must finish a Short Rest before using this Lair Action again.
Punji Pit - Activate a pit trap that occupies a 5ft space. The pit is 10ft deep, and has spikes at the bottom. Any creature in this space must make a Dex saving throw or fall in, taking 3d8 points of piercing damage, and must attempt to escape the pit on its turn. Creatures that are prone have disadvantage on this save. Creatures that are larger than the pit trap automatically succeed. You must finish a Short Rest before using this Lair Action again.
Falling Spikes - Activate a series of spikes hidden above the battlefield to begin falling. Select an area of 20ft x 20ft. All creatures inside that area make a Dex Saving throw or take 2d8 piercing damage. Creatures that are prone have Disadvantage on this save. You must finish a Short Rest before using this Lair Action again.

7th Level - Lair Improvements
Your Lair becomes more secure and able to provide more benefits.
You may establish Crafting Workshops in your Lair. Each Workshop requires at least 15 square feet of space, and a cost of 1000gp for raw materials. Workshops give you advantage on any skill checks made by Tool Sets you or your party members are proficient in, and reduce crafting costs by half, both in time and in gold, for items constructed by those Tool Sets.
You may also establish Lore Studies in your Lair. Lore Studies tend to be collections of notes, books, and manuals of all sorts of things. They require at least 15 square ft of floor space and 1000gp for raw materials. Any Knowledge skill the Warden or a party member is proficient in has Advantage while using this room.
You may also establish a Training Room in your Lair. Training Rooms allow you to improve your combat abilities, and prepare you for challenges that might lie ahead. They require 20 square ft of floor space and 1000gp in raw materials. If the Warden or their party takes a Long Rest in the Lair, they can spend some of that time training, and gain Advantage to their Initiative rolls during the next combat encounter they take part in during the next 24 hours.

11th Level - Scaling Up
Your Lair Actions improve.
You may combine the effects of 2 of your Lair Actions. If you have already used a Lair action that requires a rest before it can be used again, you cannot use it in conjunction with another Lair Action. You must declare you are combining Lair Actions Before the target makes their saving throw. The target only needs to roll once to avoid both effects.

15th Level - King of Your Domain
The DCs for your Lair Actions increase by 2. Your Lair Actions may now target up to two creatures with a single action.
The Pungi Pit now covers an area of 10ft.
The Falling Spikes now cover an area of 30ft.
While within your Territory, you and your allies overland marching speed is doubled, and do not suffer exhaustion from marching. This does not increase movement speed during combat.

Sea Wardens
If a Warden works and lives on a boat, for nautical campaigns or other sea faring adventures, then they may establish that boat as a Lair, allowing for the use of lair actions and all other benefits. Boat Lairs encompasses the entire boat, but nothing beyond it. Lairs based out of vessels do not gain Territory as sedentary ones do, but can move as the Warden travels. Work with your DM when determining which vehicles can be considered as candidates for Lairs, and which ones are too small, or in some cases, too big.

sandmote
2022-07-18, 09:22 AM
This is a really neat idea.

Both to clean up the wording and for separating out unrelated elements, I'd roll the effects that increase the damage or area underneath the information for that particular trap. As an example case:

Tension/Spring Trap - One creature within range makes a Dex saving throw. On a failed save the target takes 1d8 piercing damage. This damage increases to 2d8 as 7th level, 4d8 at 11th level, and 5d8 at 15th level.
And if you specified the Warden needs to see the target of the lair action, I missed it. Note the target doesn't need to see the Warden though, and you can specify the Lair Action doesn't reveal the Warden's location.

Some of the effects for Lair Improvements don't really fit. I'm not 100% sure what "in gold pieces for those Tool Sets," means, but it sounds like you're spending half as much on physical material to build. I'd replace this feature (especially the stuff requiring gp costs) with something tied to overland scouting; so the Warden retains some benefit to their subclass outside their favored terrain.

Patquin
2022-07-18, 09:59 AM
This is a really neat idea.

Both to clean up the wording and for separating out unrelated elements, I'd roll the effects that increase the damage or area underneath the information for that particular trap. As an example case:

Tension/Spring Trap - One creature within range makes a Dex saving throw. On a failed save the target takes 1d8 piercing damage. This damage increases to 2d8 as 7th level, 4d8 at 11th level, and 5d8 at 15th level.
And if you specified the Warden needs to see the target of the lair action, I missed it. Note the target doesn't need to see the Warden though, and you can specify the Lair Action doesn't reveal the Warden's location.

Some of the effects for Lair Improvements don't really fit. I'm not 100% sure what "in gold pieces for those Tool Sets," means, but it sounds like you're spending half as much on physical material to build. I'd replace this feature (especially the stuff requiring gp costs) with something tied to overland scouting; so the Warden retains some benefit to their subclass outside their favored terrain.

Thank you, I've added these lines to the end of the initial lair action text block:
"If the target of a Warden's Lair Action is invisible, or otherwise obscured from the sight of the Warden, they have advantage on the saving throw to avoid the effects of the Warden's Lair Action. *The Warden cannot target enemies with his Lair Actions that he is not aware of.
*"
"The Warden's Lair Actions do not reveal the Warden if he is hidden. However, after each Lair Action takes effect, *all enemies that are not surprised* may make new Perception checks to locate the Warden, if possible."
"Lair Actions that deal damage increase the amount of damage die by 1 at 7th, 11th, and 15th level."
(edit: thought of better wording for *)
Hopefully that covers some of the more nebulous areas.

As I was rereading the workshop section, I too saw the unclear wording, and hopefully by adding three or so word it will become more clear:
"...and reduce crafting costs by half, both in time and in gold*, for items constructed by* those Tool Sets."
As far as scouting outside his Territory is concerned, I think the Ranger's core abilities tend to cover that pretty well. This subclass does tie the Ranger down to his favored terrain, but I only restricted the Lair itself to his favorite terrain. The territory around it can, as it's currently written, extend beyond his favored terrain. I was thinking to leave this part more nebulous to allow any DM that picks this up to make their own rulings, but I am open to being convinced otherwise.