PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Feywild: A series of really silly(and some disturbing) questions

HoboKnight
2022-07-18, 02:03 PM
Okay. This is Feywild.

In a rather large and extremely chaotic feywild settlement, my party got arrested for murder. Well... not really arrested. One of the guards likes to role-play material plane guards on occasion (these guards in fact guard local hedges and good name of local Archfey) and he liked the concept of arrest. And since someone WAS murdered near the party, guard arrested everyone. Also some goblin tourist. And a noble kleptomaniac.

Anyway, guards brought my PCs to someone in charge, this being a sentient cat - a director of most exquisite Imaginarium - sort of a theater for drama and extreme feelings. Being super agitated, bringing a knocked out hag and a close sibling of a murdered woman with them, they completely impressed Director cat. He MUST HAVE them for 2 more performances.
Party, which is super annoyed with really chaotic nature of Feywild sort of agreed to do it - if the cat director enables an entire party to speak Sylvan from now on(at this point only one party member speaks Sylvan and its REALLY grinding their gears).
Now, this is quite powerful magic. It can be done instantly, but it takes an intervention of a local Archfey. Archfey, however, extracts a heavy toll for their service. They take a part of a person - a name, a memory, an ability, a portion of persons luck, his/her passion... It was quite clear to cat director, players will not pay such a price... but cat director has a friend. A goblin mage. This goblin mage can ... arrange such deals. Meaning - there is a number of Fairy dust addicts in settlement. These addicts are known to sell themselves as proxies. Archfey takes a part of them and they "pay" the price of another person. Meaning, they are drooling, miserable, weak, slow and one of the unluckiest creatures in the settlement. But they get the Dust for it. Quite a lot of it.

So, here's the plan: Cat makes a deal with party for them to act in 2 more performances, for which party will get an ability to speak Sylvan until dead. In return, party will make a favor for a goblin mage: do 2 dungeons. Or quests. Or something. In order for the party to gain languages, 4 addicts will pay with parts of themselves to the Archfey to cast ability to speak Sylvan on the party. Addicts will be paid by the goblin mage with fairy dust. Entire plan is sealed with mass Geas by the Archfey.

Questions:
- how overt should I be with addicts when it comes to PCs?
- if PCs see what will happen to addicts and still let it happen, does their alignment shift?(i know i wont have this answered conclusively, but I can at least try to get a rough assessment)
- What do you think of the plan? Does it have any usual d&d player-related holes?
- just how miserable and in what way should I make personality/history/memory - drained addicts? I wanna go a bit off the uncomfortable end.

Chaotic thanks!

noob
2022-07-18, 02:18 PM
- if PCs see what will happen to addicts and still let it happen, does their alignment shift?(i know i wont have this answered conclusively, but I can at least try to get a rough assessment)
Chaotic thanks!

It is quite complicated: the question is: is it fine to let people ruin themselves on their own accord if you are good even if preventing this could possibly cause more short term and long term harm.
Since I do not even know the answer to it, I am pretty sure that unless you find a strong answer to that question, then it should not merit participating toward a shift, if the players does not seems to find the question clear cut but that you have a definite answer then you should probably tell them because in a world where good and evil are objective forces(which matters mostly when you are a dragon or an aligned outsider because it is said that a chromatic dragon that becomes good stops being chromatic and a metallic dragon that stops being good stops being a metallic dragon and similarly with devils and angels), people ought to have a common sense of morality.

Mud Puppy
2022-07-18, 02:49 PM
Okay. This is Feywild.

Questions:
- how overt should I be with addicts when it comes to PCs?
- What do you think of the plan? Does it have any usual d&d player-related holes?
- just how miserable and in what way should I make personality/history/memory - drained addicts? I wanna go a bit off the uncomfortable end.

Chaotic thanks!

1. In the interest of simplifying RP, I would make these addicts visually not whole (i.e. missing an ear, some fingers etc.) to show that these folks have done this before. I would also imply (possibly follow through) with the cost being quite literally an arm a leg, voicebox (Ariel style) or prefrontal cortex for the PCs to gain the ability to speak a new language.

2. If you make this exchange explicit and obvious I would expect that "good" characters would have some moral qualms about what they're gaining vs what these proxy creatures are losing to in essence feed an addiction. OOG this is morally reprehensible and I love what you've done here. If the party just go through with this deal and allow the proxies to pay the price for them I would potentially have some sort of consequences to their powers if they're a good cleric or paladin... anyone that's neutral or chaotic would be fine IMO. Overall, this is a chaotically balanced transaction with everyone losing something in order to gain something else.

3. I don't see any obvious loop-holes, but honestly, that's part of the fun as a DM. If they manage to get what they want AND prevent the proxies from "paying the price" that just sounds like they have a new Archfey who isn't going to be very friendly in the future.

4. As I suggested in the first point, making these folks visibly disabled and wretched should be enough to engage the player's empathy and set up character development in some way.

Overall, this is just brilliant storytelling. Well done DM. Well done.

lall
2022-07-18, 08:54 PM
No alignment change.

You could have one of the addicts be a kid.

Ogun
2022-07-20, 10:58 PM
It seems like the party is getting screwed on the face of it.
They must perform AND do two questionable quests?
All for the privilege of speaking with the crazy fey in their own tounge...

I also want commend you on a great story telling, with plenty of dilemmas and lots of intrigue.
I'm feeling a Sabrina vibe and I like it!

Including a child is a great idea, maybe a pimple faced teenager with the body of an old man?