PDA

View Full Version : Crafting items

Rleonardh
2022-07-18, 04:59 PM
This, unfortunately, I know will upset people.
So you can create a glove of divine favor that gives you +3 to hit/damage for 18,000 craft 9000
Say limit it to 5/day still 18,000 craft 9000
Or just buy 5 pearl of power 5,000 craft 2,500.

Glove of fireball: 60,000 say 5/day or 30,000 crafted
If peral of power 3 that's 40,000 if created.

Why should dms and players not want best bang for buck.
Not saying one should do this even limiting items to 5/day or less (enteral wands follow the same/day rule) at all, just wondering really who allows crazy things like this.

A true strike glove say 5/day for 2000, 1000 crafted I would allow. The always on? Never

Greater healing belt: 3,400 buy
4d8
5d8
6d8

2000*spell level*caster level/3day
Divide that by 1000 + 400 for +2heal
Equals 760 for the healing belt

So greater would be 3400 following same thing.

Biggus
2022-07-18, 05:30 PM
What is the purpose of this post? What are you asking?

Also, do you mean Divine Favor in the first part?

Rleonardh
2022-07-18, 05:36 PM
Would you allow crafted items in your game more if they where used x per day vs able to use infinite times?

Say coin of healing
2000 gp 1d8+1 infinite times vs 2000 gp 1d8+1 5/day
Craft 4 1/day would be 800gp

Say glove of fireball
cl10 is 60,000 infinite times vs 60,000 5/day
Maybe even limited more 2/day for 24,000

Khedrac
2022-07-19, 02:17 AM
Still don't understand the question. Also the magic item creation rules clearly state that the first step is to compare the item to existing items - the formula based on spell level is not the default way of pricing an item.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-19, 02:58 AM
Say coin of healing
2000 gp 1d8+1 infinite times vs 2000 gp 1d8+1 5/day
Craft 4 1/day would be 800gp
An item like that already exists. An eternal wand of CLW only costs 820gp and can be used 2/day.
A normal wand is still more effective at low levels because you need more than 2/day. You can't afford more than one wand until level 3 though.

Buying a wand with 50 charges is cheaper than buying 10 wands with 2/day each, even if the latter will pay off eventually - generally by the time the 750gp for a 1st level wand are a drop in the bucket you don't really care about.

I know someone did the math once and a single wand of lesser vigor should last an entire 4 man party until level 4 or 5 iirc, which matches what i see in play. They're ridiculously efficient.
There's simply no reason to spend any more than that on out of combat healing.

Say glove of fireball
cl10 is 60,000 infinite times vs 60,000 5/day
Maybe even limited more 2/day for 24,000
60k for at-will fireball? I'd allow it, after warning you why it's a bad idea (it's not a very good use of your money).

60k gp is a huge chunk of your WBL until level 14 or so. By which time ~35 damage isn't worth the action it takes to cause it, let alone blowing most of your equipment fund on.
Not even if it were at will. Just get a reserve feat.

If you want to throw around fireballs spend the money on making it worth casting instead.
Like an Empowered Spellshard (MIC, 6k), a wand of Raging Flame (SpC) for your familiar, a Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC) so you can combine them with Caustic Mire (CM).
Throw in a Pearl of Power or two and with your fireballs doing nearly twice the damage - before metamagic or feats - you should be set for most of the mid-levels without blowing all of your money on a silly custom item.

redking
2022-07-19, 06:06 AM
This, unfortunately, I know will upset people.

Not at all. There are a lot of wild things you can do with item creation prices. Let us not forget the infamous custom item of continuous truestrike.

The thing is that we are told explicitly that prices must reflect the utility of the item. An item of continuous truestrike would be epic at least, if not a minor artifact. You look at how other items are priced for guidance when the formulas fail.

KoDT69
2022-07-19, 08:10 AM
An item of unlimited True Strike is not what y'all are implying. Simple reading of the spell says one attack gets the +20 then True Strike is expended and needs to be recast. That's gonna cost you a standard action. Not the best use of action economy unless you're a 3rd level Fighter trying to go up against like AC 38 <insert high AC monster here>.
Or am I missing a part of the item creation rules that would make it work that way? If so, I wonder why we don't see items constantly casting Heal or Resurrection every round on the user with no action taken?

redking
2022-07-19, 09:18 AM
An item of unlimited True Strike is not what y'all are implying. Simple reading of the spell says one attack gets the +20 then True Strike is expended and needs to be recast. That's gonna cost you a standard action. Not the best use of action economy unless you're a 3rd level Fighter trying to go up against like AC 38 <insert high AC monster here>.
Or am I missing a part of the item creation rules that would make it work that way? If so, I wonder why we don't see items constantly casting Heal or Resurrection every round on the user with no action taken?

You are misreading. You could create an item that casts truestrike at will, and you also have the option of an item of truestrike that functions continuously See the SRD under "Use-activated or continuous". (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-19, 10:05 AM
You are misreading. You could create an item that casts truestrike at will, and you also have the option of an item of truestrike that functions continuously See the SRD under "Use-activated or continuous". (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

You can't create a continuous item of True Strike for the same reason you can't make a continuous item of Fireball:
Because it doesn't have a duration measured in rounds (or any other unit of time). It has a duration of "see text", and the text says "your next single attack roll".

Ignoring both of those doesn't get you a continuous item of True Strike, it gets you a custom item of +20 to all attacks. The only thing it has in common with the spell is the number.

RandomPeasant
2022-07-19, 10:07 AM
I would argue that you can create a continuous item of true strike, it just gives you +20 to your next attack whenever you happen to make it (rather than before the end of the next round, as the spell is normally restricted to), and is thereafter powerless. Perhaps unwise, but I would say possible.

KoDT69
2022-07-19, 10:26 AM
True Strike deactivates itself after use (single attack). Sure you can reactivate it, but it's gonna take an action to do so. I'm open to seeing an actual printed rule that shows otherwise.
Continuous is continuous until it turns itself off.
The real issue is the "compare to similar items" stipulation that gets ignored in theoretical discussion. The crux of the issue is that standard items, let's say a Belt of Giant Strength, use a spell (Bull's Strength) to create the effect of increasing strength while not necessarily being the same as a "Continuous Item of Bull's Strength". The difference is negligible but it is different. Sure, for discussion the DM approval is always YES but I think there should be at least a nod to the comparison of existing items.

redking
2022-07-19, 12:22 PM
You can craft all kinds of inappropriately priced items with the item creation formulas. You can get ability score bonus items on the cheap by making them continuous item of miscellaneous ability boosting spell that costs less than what is specified for ability score enhancement bonuses.

As I and others have pointed out, you should not do that because it's against the rules. You have to compare to other items and cost the custom item appropriately. Proper costing is what keeps the game in balance, allows players to be imaginative with custom item creation (if they can pay for it!).

Rleonardh
2022-07-19, 01:17 PM
Ok I see where I'm getting people confused here.
I'm not making or allowing always on items.

Example:
A belt of bull's strength
Use activated
1800 x spell level x caster level /5 times per day
1800x2x3=10,800/5=2,160
2,160 for single use of bull's strength spell.
Crafted would be 1,080gp
Give to fighter to use when they think they need it.

True strike gloves.
Use activated
1800x1x1/5=360gp for 1/day 180gp if created

Potion of true strike 50gp, 25gp of created.

A coin of healing which will be a 2000gp
Use activated
2000x1x1/5=400 1/day
2/day be 800gp almost same as the enternal wand(which can't be divine) created 400gp.
Withstanding that the wand of same thing or lesser vigor for 750(375 created) would be cost effective.

If you even made said coin for 1000gp(crafted)
You are allowed to make it 5/day, doesn't have to be infinite use.

And yes I'm also thinking about maybe a 5d6 fireball glove used 1/day for a fighter.

1800x3x5/5=5,400gp if bought or 2,700 created.
Is it most efficient? Heck no! But would it make the player happy? He would love a ranged mook killer/softener item.

Personally ray of enfeeblement I would love to see on the cleric in our party.
Glove crafted 180gp a simple 1/day 1d6+1 to opponent str.
I can see maybe allowing 2/day for said item.

Segev
2022-07-19, 02:37 PM

Example:
Use activated
1800x2x3=10,800/5=2,160
Crafted would be 1,080gp

True strike gloves.
Use activated

Use activated
2000x1x1/5=400 1/day
2/day be 800gp almost same as the enternal wand(which can't be divine) created 400gp.
Withstanding that the wand of same thing or lesser vigor for 750(375 created) would be cost effective.

And yes I'm also thinking about maybe a 5d6 fireball glove used 1/day for a fighter.

Is it most efficient? Heck no! But would it make the player happy? He would love a ranged mook killer/softener item.

Generally speaking, if it gives a numeric bonus that would be better reflected by a continuous item using a different (more expensive) formula, you will find DMs leery of letting you "cheat" it just by making it command activated. If it's 5x/day and it doesn't last an hour per activation, it probably will fly, though. Like an Eternal Wand or something.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-19, 02:51 PM

Example:
Use activated
1800x2x3=10,800/5=2,160
Crafted would be 1,080gp
Already exists in multiple forms (i know MIC has some armors that do it too). You don't want to tie your main stat buff to a standard action.

True strike gloves.
Use activated
You can make an eternal wand of it for 820gp, so it should cost at least 410gp (if you remove the restriction of needing casting for free)

That's not a custom item, that's just a normal 1st level potion. There's a reason most people don't use them (action efficiency).

Use activated
2000x1x1/5=400 1/day
CLW is also on the bard list, so it's available for eternal wands. Healing belt is still better.

I don't care about infinite-use out of combat healing. Wands of LV already do that in practice. I'm saying it's not worth 2000gp when the 750gp wand lasts you several levels.

A 5d6 fireball does ~17 damage on a failed save. Which will be the minimum (DC 14) because item. Before resistances. Or spell resistance. Which is terrible even at level 5 and doesn't get better.
It's not killing or stopping anything at any level where you can afford it. You can do better throwing alchemist's fire, why would you spend 5k gp on it?

Why would he want it? At CL 1 it's completely useless against anything with SR, which is a lot of things.
Even if it works a ~-4 penalty isn't exactly the world's greatest combat contribution by any standard.

The problem with all of those is that their price is way out of proportion with their benefit, and not in a powerful way.
By the time any of them would be even halfway relevant you have more important things to spend your gold on, by the time you can afford them they aren't worth the actions it takes to use them.

KoDT69
2022-07-19, 11:20 PM
I find that it's easier to approve items that sound amazing until you examine the current power level. Unlimited 5d6 Fireballs! Sure, go for it. I mean, at 10th level y'all could wreck this town any number of ways, and your action is doing about 16 fire damage to like 4 dudes... Save for half! Stuff like that is more just for fun than anything.
I actually have a high level rogue that invested in a custom item. Looks like a wand but it casts unlimited Fireball CL10, Lightning Bolt CL10, and maybe a Cone of Cold or something sorry don't remember but he uses disguise to wander in certain places pretending to be a mere hedge wizard with his Evocation magics. No, he probably didn't have anything better to do with his gold ;)

Mordante
2022-07-20, 01:30 AM
Do people actually craft ingame??

I never have really looked into the crafting rules since in non of my groups anyone ever crafts anything. From what I understand is that crafting eats feats and everyone is always lacking feats. Also playing a crafter is boring for the rest of the party. Instead of doing fun things you spend all the time buying/making a crafting station/workshop. Gathering and buying materials can take a while as well. So if one player is doing all of that.

What is the rest of the party supposed to do?

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-20, 02:36 AM
Do people actually craft ingame??

I never have really looked into the crafting rules since in non of my groups anyone ever crafts anything. From what I understand is that crafting eats feats and everyone is always lacking feats. Also playing a crafter is boring for the rest of the party. Instead of doing fun things you spend all the time buying/making a crafting station/workshop. Gathering and buying materials can take a while as well. So if one player is doing all of that.

What is the rest of the party supposed to do?
Gathering and buying materials isn't actually a thing in 3.5. Neither is building a workshop. It's just handwaved as a gold and XP cost.
Your DM may require you to rp getting some kind of supply, but by RAW it's not really an issue. Obviously if your DM decides to nerf crafters don't play a crafter.

I at least consider craft wondrous on pretty much any caster i make. The ability to handpick your gear and get half price on top of that is definitely worth a feat slot.
Pretty much every wizard i make keeps and uses Scribe Scroll too and i'm tempted to get Inscribe Rune on any divine ones.

Crafting only takes 8 hours per day (except for Inscribe Rune, which takes 10 minutes).
A character who doesn't need to rest (divine casters mostly) can do it while the party sleeps/rests to recover spells.
That doesn't work for wizards of course, but they can use Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (CM, 3000gp) to sneak in some crafting time.

For scrolls there's also the Quill of Scribing (CM, 1750gp) and everyone can use a Dedicated Wright (ECS) homunculus if they can get one commissioned.
For mundane items there's also Unseen Crafter (RoE). The entire party getting adamantine weapons or mithral armor for a third of the price is a pretty good payout for a 2nd level slot every few days, and you can keep up multiple to craft several items at once. Also great for alchemical items.

Combine any of those with a portable hole or some kind of base and you can craft while adventuring in pretty much any campaign as long as your DM is amenable to letting you.

Mordante
2022-07-20, 03:53 AM
Gathering and buying materials isn't actually a thing in 3.5. Neither is building a workshop. It's just handwaved as a gold and XP cost.
Your DM may require you to rp getting some kind of supply, but by RAW it's not really an issue. Obviously if your DM decides to nerf crafters don't play a crafter.

I at least consider craft wondrous on pretty much any caster i make. The ability to handpick your gear and get half price on top of that is definitely worth a feat slot.
Pretty much every wizard i make keeps and uses Scribe Scroll too and i'm tempted to get Inscribe Rune on any divine ones.

Crafting only takes 8 hours per day (except for Inscribe Rune, which takes 10 minutes).
A character who doesn't need to rest (divine casters mostly) can do it while the party sleeps/rests to recover spells.
That doesn't work for wizards of course, but they can use Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (CM, 3000gp) to sneak in some crafting time.

For scrolls there's also the Quill of Scribing (CM, 1750gp) and everyone can use a Dedicated Wright (ECS) homunculus if they can get one commissioned.
For mundane items there's also Unseen Crafter (RoE). The entire party getting adamantine weapons or mithral armor for a third of the price is a pretty good payout for a 2nd level slot every few days, and you can keep up multiple to craft several items at once. Also great for alchemical items.

Combine any of those with a portable hole or some kind of base and you can craft while adventuring in pretty much any campaign as long as your DM is amenable to letting you.

Where does it state in the rules that gathering materials and not requiring a workshop to craft is RAW?

How do you deal with DM that don't use XP? I play in 3 parties and what we do decide as a group when it is time to level up. The whole party goes a level up. None of the the wizards I have played on in my party have ever used the skill scribe scroll.

I think you play in much more optimized groups then I do. Things like pearls of power never get used, scrolls and potions are very rare.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-20, 04:17 AM
Where does it state in the rules that gathering materials and not requiring a workshop to craft is RAW?
The magic item creation rules (DMG p.283).

The creator also needs a fairly quiet, comfortable, and well-lit
place in which to work. Any place suitable for preparing spells
(see Preparing Wizard Spells, page 177 of the Player’s Handbook)
is suitable for making items. Creating an item requires one day
per 1,000 gp in the item’s base price, with a minimum of at least
one day. Potions are an exception to this rule; they always take
just one day to brew. The character must spend the gold and XP
at the beginning of the construction process.
By the rules you can craft anywhere you could prepare spells and the only thing you pay is gold and XP.

How do you deal with DM that don't use XP? I play in 3 parties and what we do decide as a group when it is time to level up. The whole party goes a level up. None of the the wizards I have played on in my party have ever used the skill scribe scroll.

I think you play in much more optimized groups then I do. Things like pearls of power never get used, scrolls and potions are very rare.
If you want to craft in a game with non-standard XP you have to talk to your DM how it works.

I'm not really sure how using a feat you get for free is supposed to be optimization. It's like calling a druid optimized because he uses wild shape.
People not using their class abilities is unoptimized, sure, but using the basic tools the game hands you in exactly the way you're intended to isn't exactly a great feat of powergaming.

Satinavian
2022-07-20, 04:41 AM
Admittedly i have not seen wizards scribe scrolls either, mostly because the players didn't want to spend XP on stuff they could do anyway. But otherwise, crafting happened regularly.

As for crafting time, with a single ring of sustenance, you can do all your crafting while the rest of the party sleeps.

The main problem with crafting is that WBL rises differently and much faster than XP per level and while early on crafting is a huge power boost, later you might be more willing to just throw money at the problem than delay levelling. And what is even worse is that your crafting speed does not significantly increase with the level and you won't have time to create stuff that matters in a high level campaign unless the groups makes really long downtime breaks or you do apply a lot of cheese.

Segev
2022-07-20, 09:32 AM
Pathfinder does away with XP costs for...basically anything. Crafting only requires gp, same gp as 3.5 crafting, no XP cost. Same time to craft, too.

I play a Vitalist in an Eberron game so far entirely taking place within Sharn, and he does item crafting during downtime. Of which there's often so little that the time budget is more important than the gp budget. But he does it. I find some of the best fun in crafting comes in games where there's reasonable amounts of downtime (not a guarantee in every game; I have had vanishingly few where it was a thing) and the DM is willing to work with you on taking harvested/found magical materials into account as substitute components for thematically-appropriate items.

I used the ice and snow harvested from a custom bag of kid-holding some evil Rakshasa were using to kidnap kids and suck down their souls for instant-revivification if they died. The kids were frozen in these preservation chambers, unable to move or anything, but alive. My character took this and used it to make a gem of eternal ice, and inverted its corruption to suck in evil influences, making a gift for an NPC friend that is a continuous protection from evil necklace. Material cost provided by the destroyed Rakshasa bag (in the form of the harvested ice to make the gem). (This being a gift for an NPC, it also won't impact gameplay much, most likely, which made it an easier sell to not cost me "real" gp-based loot. I still had to spend 3 days of crafting time, which, as I said, is often the greater limiter in this game.)

Rleonardh
2022-07-20, 12:49 PM
I completely reworked crafting when I dm.

4 hours per day if on road vs 8 normal.
Gp 1000gp + 25gp*spell craft check normal per day
Other casters can help with 10*spell craft check (only 1 extra person)
Or 500gp + 10gp*spell craft check on road per day

Anything can be made within reason. If it's game breaking it's limited to x/day, maybe 1-2 max.
The party if they wish can even share the exp cost.

Also all crafting feats been reduced to 1:
Craft magical items, meet level requirement you can use the feat.
So a level 5 caster can do all feats 5th level and lower.

Wizard gets it level 1 instead of scribe scroll.

RandomPeasant
2022-07-20, 01:09 PM
The main problem with crafting is that WBL rises differently and much faster than XP per level and while early on crafting is a huge power boost, later you might be more willing to just throw money at the problem than delay levelling. And what is even worse is that your crafting speed does not significantly increase with the level and you won't have time to create stuff that matters in a high level campaign unless the groups makes really long downtime breaks or you do apply a lot of cheese.

Crafting fluctuates wildly in value based on a lot of variables. How much downtime does your campaign have? How willing is your DM to allow you to use cost reduction to inflate your wealth? How much wealth do you actually get? How willing is your DM to allow you to use non-crafting mechanisms to inflate your wealth? How much access do you have to magic item shops? What kind of treasure do you get? While there are plenty of circumstances where crafting is extremely useful, there are also ones where it doesn't do a whole lot.

Crake
2022-07-20, 11:36 PM
CHow much downtime does your campaign have?

You dont really need that much downtime, sufficient travel time will work too. Low level campaigns, and thus low level gear also benefit since the stuff is faster to craft

Satinavian
2022-07-21, 04:36 AM
You dont really need that much downtime, sufficient travel time will work too. Low level campaigns, and thus low level gear also benefit since the stuff is faster to craft
It is less a low level campaign problem and more a mid- or highlevel campaign problem.

Travel times get shorter by level with Teleport, Windwalk etc. But if you are crafting for only half the expected wealth of a lv. 15 Character as material, you are stuck for 200 days. If you have one crafter outfitting the whole group, it will take years.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-21, 05:22 AM
It is less a low level campaign problem and more a mid- or highlevel campaign problem.

Travel times get shorter by level with Teleport, Windwalk etc. But if you are crafting for only half the expected wealth of a lv. 15 Character as material, you are stuck for 200 days. If you have one crafter outfitting the whole group, it will take years.

There's a magical forge in RoS that lets you craft 3x as fast (by working 24 hours a day).
It requires being a dwarf, but that's not exactly a problem to emulate with UMD at higher levels.

Still a big chunk of time but if you craft a lot it makes a huge difference.

Mordante
2022-07-21, 07:39 AM
I completely reworked crafting when I dm.

4 hours per day if on road vs 8 normal.
Gp 1000gp + 25gp*spell craft check normal per day
Other casters can help with 10*spell craft check (only 1 extra person)
Or 500gp + 10gp*spell craft check on road per day

Anything can be made within reason. If it's game breaking it's limited to x/day, maybe 1-2 max.
The party if they wish can even share the exp cost.

Also all crafting feats been reduced to 1:
Craft magical items, meet level requirement you can use the feat.
So a level 5 caster can do all feats 5th level and lower.

Wizard gets it level 1 instead of scribe scroll.

Only Wizards, or do sorcerers, clerics, warlocks and other casters also get free crafting skills?

Rleonardh
2022-07-21, 09:29 AM
Only Wizards, or do sorcerers, clerics, warlocks and other casters also get free crafting skills?

Any class that gives spells, just need at any time take "craft magical items" as a single feat.

RandomPeasant
2022-07-21, 11:16 AM

Doesn't that depend on how you're traveling? If you're traveling by boat or wagon, you can probably craft during travel no problem. But if you're marching, you have exactly 8 hours left after travel and sleep, so if you need to do anything else (or you force march at all) you're not going to have time for your daily crafting. I'm not saying it'll never happen, but it's another thing that's situational. Plus, plenty of low level adventures are "clear out the local dungeon" not "march all hither and yon between encounters".

There's a magical forge in RoS that lets you craft 3x as fast (by working 24 hours a day).
It requires being a dwarf, but that's not exactly a problem to emulate with UMD at higher levels.

Still a big chunk of time but if you craft a lot it makes a huge difference.

It makes a quantitative difference, but I don't know that it makes much of a qualitative difference. Taking 50 days/character to craft all your gear rather than 150 days/character is a savings of a 100 days per character, but it's also nearly two months per character. I don't know that there are a lot of campaigns where you have that much downtime, but not enough downtime to do all your crafting without the forge.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-21, 11:58 AM
It makes a quantitative difference, but I don't know that it makes much of a qualitative difference. Taking 50 days/character to craft all your gear rather than 150 days/character is a savings of a 100 days per character, but it's also nearly two months per character. I don't know that there are a lot of campaigns where you have that much downtime, but not enough downtime to do all your crafting without the forge.
Fair enough. 50 days over a campaign starting at low level? I'd be surprised if you didn't have 50 days downtime in there.
It's not like you need to craft all of it at once.

Unless your game includes a time crunch you can also just handwave a week or two of downtime. You do the same thing when buying magical items after all.
It's not like you can walk into an actual magic mart in most settings, you have to hunt through a bunch of sellers first until you find what you want. You just don't play it out because it's boring.

RandomPeasant
2022-07-21, 04:30 PM
Well, it's not just 50 days of downtime. It's 50 days with the crafting-accelerating thing (and probably at least a bit longer than that, you can't just not sleep). Which is yet another way that the specifics of your campaign impact the value of crafting. With your 3x multiplier, two weeks is enough to make a +6 stat item. Without it, it's not even enough to make a +4.

Rleonardh
2022-07-21, 04:59 PM
Which forge is it? The sustaince one?

aglondier
2022-07-22, 02:03 AM
Did a Circlet of True Strike for one campaign. It had a 5% chance of activating for any particular attack. Priced as Continuous, 1st level caster, with a hefty limitation (for -30% cost). After declaring an attack, but before rolling to hit, we would roll percentile to see if it activated. If it did, add +20 to that attack. Otherwise nothing. 1400gp, 700gp to craft.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-22, 02:06 AM
Which forge is it? The sustaince one?

Yes, but it seems i misremembered that one. It only seems to work for mundane crafting, not magic item crafting. Which fabricate does better.
I know i've seen that "craft all day and progress 3x as fast" somewhere though...