PDA

View Full Version : Is Devil and demon summoning AL legal

creepyeye
2022-07-19, 02:28 AM
Like it says I’d like to know if it’s possible to summon and bind a demon or devil to service and get it to do what I want it to do? Is it an evil act which I can’t do? How about raising undead?Is that AL legal?

prototype00
2022-07-19, 02:55 AM
Like it says I’d like to know if it’s possible to summon and bind a demon or devil to service and get it to do what I want it to do? Is it an evil act which I can’t do? How about raising undead?Is that AL legal?

For AL? With regards to spells AL operates by RAW for the most part.

Please then, relate to me where you got an extraplanar being to sit still and not kill you for an hour while you put the whammy on them with Planar Binding? (If you’re lvl 17 and the answer is “Wish”, fair enough)

With regards to whether it’s an evil act, well it’s magical mind control slavery, so what does your gut tell you?

Regarding undead, sure, I’ve had players keep skeletons in portable holes before.

For all of this please be reminded that it is good etiquette in AL to ask the DM if he is okay with it (bringing in a load of NPCs). They have every right to say “no”.

Please do remember to log everything including any permissive DMs that allowed Shennanigans during their sessions.

icedraikon
2022-07-19, 04:23 AM
Please then, relate to me where you got an extraplanar being to sit still and not kill you for an hour while you put the whammy on them with Planar Binding? (If you’re lvl 17 and the answer is “Wish”, fair enough)

As far as I'm aware, the idea is Magic Circle -> Summon/Conjure spell -> Planar Binding

This unfortunately has the issue of Planar Binding being a 1 hour cast time and most summons being 1 hour, so you'll be 6 seconds short, similar to short resting in a Rope Trick. Extend Spell metamagic on the summon would do the trick, though.

JackPhoenix
2022-07-19, 04:44 AM
Wasn't there a rule that all summoned creatures, including animated dead and anything bound disappears at the end of a session? I vaguely remember something like that.

Dungeon-noob
2022-07-19, 07:17 AM
Wasn't there a rule that all summoned creatures, including animated dead and anything bound disappears at the end of a session? I vaguely remember something like that.
No such official rule that i know of. Sounds like a houserule? It would be a strange limitation in RAW, given how none of those relate to sessions. RAW rules refer to LR or SR most of the time.

Sigreid
2022-07-19, 08:28 AM
As far as I'm aware, the idea is Magic Circle -> Summon/Conjure spell -> Planar Binding

This unfortunately has the issue of Planar Binding being a 1 hour cast time and most summons being 1 hour, so you'll be 6 seconds short, similar to short resting in a Rope Trick. Extend Spell metamagic on the summon would do the trick, though.

I'd honestly hand wave this as I'm not going to get all fussy about the time description being an hour and needing an extra 6 seconds.

Psyren
2022-07-19, 11:08 AM
I'd honestly hand wave this as I'm not going to get all fussy about the time description being an hour and needing an extra 6 seconds.

Same here. It's clearly intended to be used on summons, and most of them last an hour.

I don't think the extend summons thing is the intended solution either as sorcerers get next to no summons at all.

Sigreid
2022-07-19, 11:30 AM
Same here. It's clearly intended to be used on summons, and most of them last an hour.

I don't think the extend summons thing is the intended solution either as sorcerers get next to no summons at all.

Alternately, I'd just rule that those two spells, the summoning and the binding are designed to be intertwined, effectively being cast simultaneously or that the binding spell is actually just a modification to the end of the summoning spell or some such.

Keravath
2022-07-19, 12:52 PM

Except this is AL that is being discussed and it is run strictly RAW. So the one round/6 second discrepancy would allow the summoned creature to escape or take some other action before the Planar Binding comes into effect. The DM doesn't have the discretion to change the rules as written though they have a lot of lattitude running most everything else.

It is still possible to use planar binding on summoned creatures in AL but the characters involved have to come up with an approach that works. (The extend meta magic for example on the summoned creature and magic circle for example OR have two characters work together so that the creature is summoned the same round the planar binding starts casting).

As for retaining the summoned creature across multiple sessions, that is at the DMs discretion. If the summoned creature will trivialize the adventure and make it unenjoyable for the others at the table then they can say no to the summoned creature. They can do the same for magic items but DMs should do either sparingly since the goal is fun for everyone at the table (including the character with the summons/magic item).

Spacehamster
2022-07-19, 12:54 PM
Summoning devils is always legal, I mean you are basically summoning a lawyer! ;)

sithlordnergal
2022-07-19, 04:09 PM
It is legal, but you need to do two things:

1) Make sure you log down where, when, and how you summoned/bound it.

2) Make sure you ask the DM if you can bring it before you do

IF you follow those two rules, you should be fine.

JackPhoenix
2022-07-19, 06:04 PM
No such official rule that i know of. Sounds like a houserule? It would be a strange limitation in RAW, given how none of those relate to sessions. RAW rules refer to LR or SR most of the time.

Got that mixed up with True Polymorph, which doesn't transfer between sessions.