PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Water Weird Help

Kennyboyraven1
2022-07-20, 06:53 AM
Hi,

I'm running an encounter with a Water Weird and would like some advice on how you read the rules on the creature.

1. Constrict attack. Once a target has been attacked and grappled, does the creature do the same attack each round or instead pull the creature towards them? Or both?
2. The grapple failure says the Water Weird pulls the grappled creature 5' closer. What about the Water Weirds move? Can it still move 60' with the creature its grappled? If not how far?
3. Say the grappled creature has a rope around it, held onto by other party members. Is it a straight DC13 strength check for said players to haul the grappled creature out/back? Are they still grappled if so? How far would they be able to pull the poor sap in a round?
4. Say multiple characters are on the rope, what initiative do they pull on, or do they each get a go on their own turn?

Any other thoughts on this greatly received.

Thanks in advance.

J-H
2022-07-20, 07:17 AM
1. Constrict attack. Once a target has been attacked and grappled, does the creature do the same attack each round or instead pull the creature towards them? Or both?
2. The grapple failure says the Water Weird pulls the grappled creature 5' closer. What about the Water Weirds move? Can it still move 60' with the creature its grappled? If not how far?
3. Say the grappled creature has a rope around it, held onto by other party members. Is it a straight DC13 strength check for said players to haul the grappled creature out/back? Are they still grappled if so? How far would they be able to pull the poor sap in a round?
4. Say multiple characters are on the rope, what initiative do they pull on, or do they each get a go on their own turn?
1. Each round until the target escapes, the WW is going to use Constrict on it again, as it cannot retarget another target. The reach on Constrict is only 10', and the WW is a large (10'x10') creature, so after the 5' pull, the target is basically in the WW's space.

2. Typically creatures move at half speed when grappling something, unless the target is substantially smaller than them. 30' movement.

3-4. I'd use it to give advantage on the Str (Athletics) check to escape, OR make it an opposed Str (Athletics) check by the rope-pullers vs. the WW's +3. The strongest person on the rope makes the check, with the other people giving him Advantage via the Help action. Not sure on rope-pulling speed, probably 15'.

Kennyboyraven1
2022-07-20, 10:40 AM
1. Each round until the target escapes, the WW is going to use Constrict on it again, as it cannot retarget another target. The reach on Constrict is only 10', and the WW is a large (10'x10') creature, so after the 5' pull, the target is basically in the WW's space.

2. Typically creatures move at half speed when grappling something, unless the target is substantially smaller than them. 30' movement.

3-4. I'd use it to give advantage on the Str (Athletics) check to escape, OR make it an opposed Str (Athletics) check by the rope-pullers vs. the WW's +3. The strongest person on the rope makes the check, with the other people giving him Advantage via the Help action. Not sure on rope-pulling speed, probably 15'.

That's fab, thanks.

Why the WW's +3? What made you decide on +3?

Segev
2022-07-20, 10:43 AM
That's fab, thanks.

Why the WW's +3? What made you decide on +3?

I don't have it open in front of me, but I'd guess the Water Weird has a Strength score of 16 or 17, and no proficiency in Athletics.

Amnestic
2022-07-20, 10:46 AM
1. Each round until the target escapes, the WW is going to use Constrict on it again, as it cannot retarget another target.

It could voluntarily break the existing grapple to attempt to constrict someone else if it was the better tactical move...though it doesn't seem often that would be the case.

Kennyboyraven1
2022-07-20, 10:49 AM
I don't have it open in front of me, but I'd guess the Water Weird has a Strength score of 16 or 17, and no proficiency in Athletics.

Wouldn't the DC13 to break the grapple already include that though?

Segev
2022-07-20, 10:51 AM
Wouldn't the DC13 to break the grapple already include that though?

He was, if I understood correctly, suggesting that the rope-pullers would engage in a contested check, their strength(athletics) bonus vs. the water weird's +3 strength bonus, rather than pulling against the static DC, which is provided for the creature trying to break out on his own.

Kennyboyraven1
2022-07-20, 10:52 AM
He was, if I understood correctly, suggesting that the rope-pullers would engage in a contested check, their strength(athletics) bonus vs. the water weird's +3 strength bonus, rather than pulling against the static DC, which is provided for the creature trying to break out on his own.

That makes sense, thank you.