PDA

View Full Version : Druidic Avenger Stalker: Best of Many Worlds?

ZekeArgo
2007-11-28, 08:12 AM
A little background: a friend of mine asked me to join a PbP game of his, and requested that I make a "tracker" character for it. I figure sure, but I didn't want to go with a same-old, same-old ranger or a druid. So I start flipping through my books trying to find some things with survival as a class skill that seem interesting, when I realize that I hadn't checked Unearthed Arcana in a while.

So I check out the Savage Bard and Wilderness Rogue, both kinda meh toward. But then I run across the Druidic Avenger. Gets rid of your annoying connection to animals (companion and spontaneous casting) for fast movement and rage? Effing sign me up!

As a little background for this, I'm not only trying to make a decent character, but I'm trying to stay away from the super-powered CoD Cheese. And frankly, I also didn't want a druid character who was constantly surrounded by animal friends.

Anyway, I flip a few more pages to the "other variants" section, where I come across the deadly hunter variant. Holy crap this thing is awesome. Give up your Armor Proficiencies and Wild shape for monk fast move and AC, and ranger favored enemy, tracking and swift tracking? Perfect.

So combining the two, I've got a wis-based divine Full-Caster that is essentially a barbarian//ranger//monk gestalt, and takes only the most useful/fitting abilities for those classes to pair with druid casting.

So I gotta ask: what feats would you all pair for this, utilizing a strongheart halfling from the forgotten realms Cannath Vale who got Fearless as a free regional feat?

JaxGaret
2007-11-28, 11:43 AM
What kind of character do you want to make? Do you want to emphasize your combat abilities, or your tracking, or your spellcasting?

Let us know these things and we can help you :)

I really like that combination of Druid variants, btw, I've seen it before and wanted to play one. It takes away a lot of the Druid cheese, is much more balanced than a straight Druid, and makes for a lot less paperwork to boot.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-28, 11:58 AM
I actually tabled this build together here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58604). It's terrific. Try and get your DM to let you trade the +10' barbarian movement at first level for Pounce, a la the CCham alt class feature.

Also, let me suggest a Varag (MM-IV) for your race. Spring Attack and Run as bonus feats, 60' base movement speed, scent, and some pretty favorable stat bonuses. It'll walk all over your spellcasting progression with 3 RHD, +2 LA, but at least it'd be interesting. And honestly, you could probably talk to your DM into making them a little less awesome to lower the high starting ECL.

Leon
2007-11-29, 04:04 AM
What feats depends on what you wish to achive aside from the tracking part.

Razak (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=25935) is my Avenger/Hunter Druid - Ive taken the Aspect of Monk further into the class with IUS and will be obtaining Superior Unarmed at 6th, Combat reflexes are useful with glaive, Extend Spell should be on any casters feat list
Endurance and Wastelander are useful to me for both background feel and what i do and where i do it (Athas)

Trouvere
2007-11-29, 07:10 AM
I've been itching to play this variant for a while now. But I'm not sure how to best take advantage of the fast movement.

ZekeArgo
2007-11-29, 04:18 PM
Wow, some great replies, glad I'm not the only one who has seen this combo and thought it was damn awesome ^_^

Anyway, as stated I'm looking to make a Strongheart Halfling From the Cannath Vale region in the Forgotten Realms for a level 2 game. The creation method is quite high powered, netting me the following stats(With Racial Modifiers): STR 14, DEX 20, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 18, CHA 10

Books allowed are pretty much all DnD 1st party products

As for where I want to bring him... I kinda want to mix him with a different concept (first thought of it for a paladin) since he recieves the Fearless Feat (immune to fear, though no save aura like a pally) which is: Thrillseeker. Willing to perform any crazy action that most people would think "damn, who would do that just for fun" as his reverence for nature.

So where I want to go with feats... not sure. I haven't played a non-human in ages, and with the small size I don't see unarmed strikes as a viable option (though I'll admit I did think of it).

So honestly I'm not sure :) Any suggestions?