PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Pyromancy Sorcerer, Revised (PEACH)

GalacticAxekick
2022-07-21, 02:05 PM
Following my Stone Sorcerer (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?646358-Earth-Magic-Expanded!-(Sorcerery-Revised!)-PEACH#post25476110) and my Air Sorcerer (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?647708-Air-Magic-Expanded!-(-amp-the-new-Air-Sorcerer)-PEACH), I want rewrite the Pyromancy Sorcerer to be the definitive king of fire spells. Unlike my previous projects, I don't expect to write many spells for this one. 5e already has many fire spells. Instead, my goals concern the subclass itself: :
Include enough spells that a pyromancer could learn nothin but fire spells up to 20th level and still have room to choose between spells.
Include a good enough variety of spells that a spellcaster could learn nothing but fire spells up to 20th level without feeling like they sacrificed defense and utility
Write a Sorcerer subclass focused on getting the most out of fire spells while have no access to non-fire magic (like an Firebender in Avatar, for example)

Eventually, I want to do the same with Water.

Let me know what you think of what's already there, and lend me your ideas for more spells and features!

Check it out here (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/dW1fuTDsulYy)

Abuzorg
2022-07-21, 03:58 PM
An easy way to have a 9th level spell would be to have a fire damage only version of Meteor Swarm. Make it different by making it more like the 3.5 version of the spell, where the meteors would come out of the caster's hands rather than plummet from the sky :

Inferno Balls (or any name that you deem more suitable)
9th-level Evocation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 1 mile
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

Blazing orbs of fire streak from your hands and explode at four different points you can see within range. Each creature in a 40-foot-radius sphere centered on each point you choose must make a Dexterity saving throw. The sphere spreads around corners. A creature takes 20d6 fire damage and 20d6 bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature in the area of more than one fiery burst is affected only once.

The spell damages objects in the area and ignites flammable objects that aren't being worn or carried.

animorte
2022-07-21, 05:35 PM
You might be interested in a spreadsheet I recently put together, listing all the spells through all levels of the primary 4 elements. Fire leaves everything in the dust, even excluding lightning, by sheer number of spells. But it drops off pretty hard in tier 3 where Earth catches up. Air is left far behind at all levels such that I considered including things with force damage.

animorte
2022-07-21, 05:36 PM
I absolutely love the A:tLA universe and completely support this. I’ll provide feedback on the other elements when I have more time.

You might be interested in a spreadsheet I recently put together, listing all the spells through all levels of the primary 4 elements. Fire leaves everything in the dust, even excluding lightning, by sheer number of spells. But it drops off pretty hard in tier 3 where Earth catches up. Air is left far behind at all levels such that I considered including things with force damage.

GalacticAxekick
2022-07-21, 05:44 PM
I absolutely love the A:tLA universe and completely support this. I’ll provide feedback on the other elements when I have more time.

You might be interested in a spreadsheet I recently put together, listing all the spells through all levels of the primary 4 elements. Fire leaves everything in the dust, even excluding lightning, by sheer number of spells. But it drops off pretty hard in tier 3 where Earth catches up. Air is left far behind at all levels such that I considered including things with force damage.No need for the spreadsheet. I already have just about every official spell for all four elements listed.

I've also already homebrewed enough new spells for Air and Earth that they match Fire.

What I DO need help with is checking all the subclass features I've given the pyromancer, and coming up with spells that give the pyromancer utility and defense options. Right now, it's almost 100% offense.

sandmote
2022-07-22, 05:36 PM
I've been writing a few spells for another concept, but the following might fit a Fire Sorcerer as well.

Acrid Wall
1st-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Artificer, Ranger, Wizard
You create an wall off stinging smoke on the ground at a point you can see within range, serving as a wall against movement. You can make the wall up to 30 feet long, 10 feet high, and 5 feet thick. You can shape the wall in any way you choose so long as it makes one continuous path along the ground. Creatures and objects on the other side of the wall are lightly obscured, and the wall lasts for the duration.

When a creature attempts to enter the wall, it must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, spends its next action retching and reeling and must spend 1 extra foot of movement for each foot for which it moves through the wall's area. On a success the creature suffers no ill effects. Creatures that don't need to breathe or are immune to poison automatically succeed on this saving throw. Once a creature succeeds on its saving throw against this spell, it is immune to the spell's effects.

A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the wall after 1 round.

Original idea was to hope for something weak enough to justify a 1st level Wall spell instead of using Silent Image as a stopgap. Might need to be bumped up to 2nd level though.

GalacticAxekick
2022-07-22, 08:15 PM
That definitely suits a pyromancer! Thanks sandmote!

Goobahfish
2022-07-22, 10:46 PM
So, this will very much depend on where the line for fire magic ends and other similar effects begin.

For example:

Infravision:
While active you are so sensitive to minor variations in heat that you can see in the dark :D

Volcanic Path:
You heat a region of earth or mud to such an extent that it transforms into solid glass making a stable path for you to walk along (how to get over quick sand and mud)

Pyrotorch:
You create a small, incredibly powerful flame capable of cutting stone and other materials (read lasers but with fire). You can use it for exploration, cutting through walls, severing columns etc.

Hot Air Balloon:
Get a big canvas and create a region of super-hot air (lots of tiny flames) to launch yourself : )

Smokebomb:
Like fog cloud/pyrotechnics but chokes due to its 'bad combustion' content.

GalacticAxekick
2022-07-22, 11:59 PM
Infravision:
While active you are so sensitive to minor variations in heat that you can see in the dark :DSo Darkvision. Sure!

Volcanic Path:
You heat a region of earth or mud to such an extent that it transforms into solid glass making a stable path for you to walk along (how to get over quick sand and mud)Situational, but very cool! I wonder if I can expand this concept enough to make it work

Pyrotorch:
You create a small, incredibly powerful flame capable of cutting stone and other materials (read lasers but with fire). You can use it for exploration, cutting through walls, severing columns etc.I already wrote this as the Hot Hands cantrip!

Hot Air Balloon:
Get a big canvas and create a region of super-hot air (lots of tiny flames) to launch yourself : )This sounds more like something a player would create with a combination of ordinary materials and any fire-producing spell. Summon the whole balloon, after all, wouldn't be a pyromancy spell.

Smokebomb:
Like fog cloud/pyrotechnics but chokes due to its 'bad combustion' content.Essentially what Sandmote suggested! A good idea!

Goobahfish
2022-07-23, 02:06 AM
Ha ha,

I suppose I meant a higher level version of Hot Hands (it is already pretty useful to be sure).

For Volcanic path, my inspiration was players digging a trench in sand and a Plasma Mage (think superheated air) using their spells to solidify the boundaries to prevent it all falling in again (so that is perhaps another use).

Re: Hot Air Balloon.
That is true, and it is veering very close into Air territory anyway. One interesting cantrip-like spell that could be a more generic version of this is just a heat air cantrip. The idea is that you raise the ambient temperature in a small area which causes people to sweat and feel uncomfortable or even become fatigued etc if they stay in the region too long. Also a hot air balloon as well.

Calen
2022-07-24, 02:50 PM
One note that in Pyromancy it says air cantrips several times, I think you mean fire?
Thematically a class that is focused on pure offense is fine I think.
However some options that come to mind...
Defensively a spell or spells that let you take a reaction when being attacked or having someone approach you. The effects could be imposing disadvantage (due to a flare of flame) or moving quickly out of the way.
Utility wise a spell that makes you seem more ominous or intimidating (could also be used as a fear effect for a more defensive spell)

animorte
2022-07-24, 02:57 PM
Cloak of Embers - in which anything within 5 feet of you takes damage upon entering the range and at the start of it’s turn.

GalacticAxekick
2022-07-24, 03:07 PM
Cloak of Embers - in which anything within 5 feet of you takes damage upon entering the range and at the start of it’s turn.
This is already a spell: Investiture of Flame

animorte
2022-07-24, 03:53 PM
This is already a spell: Investiture of Flame
Ah yes, but I was thinking something with fewer overall options, basically allowing for a much lower level version of that.