PDA

View Full Version : Find Familiar Question

SociopathFriend
2022-07-21, 05:47 PM
So there's an interaction I'm curious about involving Find Familiar.

Find Familiar in its basic form enables the Familiar to deliver touch spells using their Reaction.

A Pact of the Chain Warlock gains access to Familiars like the Sprite and Imp- which can turn Invisible.

If an Invisible Familiar delivers a touch spell- will that break their Invisibility? If it does break- is the Familiar's Action free to simply reapply it?

Anymage
2022-07-21, 06:04 PM
RAW delivering a spell is not the same as casting it. So having your invisible sprite familiar fly up to deliver a touch ranged buff on an ally is all well and good. This strongly falls into "ask your DM" territory, though. Delivering buffs or heals doesn't sound that bad to me because it sets someone else up to be awesome, but it's still good form to ask your DM ahead of time rather than just springing it on them.

I'm hard pressed to think of touch range spells you'd cast on an enemy that don't require an attack roll. And those are a lot harder to argue that the familiar that is doing the actual touching is not making an attack. The familiar's action on its turn is still free to cast invisibility on itself again, since the familiar has its own initiative and delivering a touch attack for you takes its reaction. Whether it eats an attack between becoming visible on your turn and becoming invisible on the enemy's turn depends entirely on the vagaries of the initiative order.

meandean
2022-07-21, 06:13 PM
Well, we know that RAI is that dragon's breath isn't an attack. You don't have to find a "touch" range spell designed to harm the target that lacks an attack roll; you can also cast a spell on your familiar that empowers it to do something to the target that lacks an attack roll. I dunno if there are any other such spells.

solidork
2022-07-21, 07:39 PM
I'm hard pressed to think of touch range spells you'd cast on an enemy that don't require an attack roll.

Off the top of my head: Bestow Curse.

SociopathFriend
2022-07-22, 12:35 AM
Can confirm the spell that provoked the thread's idea was Bestow Curse.