PDA

View Full Version : Favorite campaign premise you’d like to reprise.

Pauly
2022-07-21, 10:10 PM
Many years ago I played in a Tunnels and Trolls campaign of Rat on a Stick. The basic idea is that you’re goblins setting up a fast food franchise in a mega dungeon selling your tasty rat snacks to passing adventurers and wandering monsters. The deeper you go into the dungeon the higher the risk but the higher the profits. We were all neophytes and make lots of mistakes and messed a lot of things up, however the campaign itself was a lot of fun and very enjoyable,

Ever since I’ve wanted to run a similarly themed campaign but never have had the opportunity to have players who wanted to play such a campaign and a system suitable for the campaign.

My current idea is to re-set the campaign in Cyberpunk or Shadowrun and have the players starting a small business operating vending machines in the rough part of town. Vending machines have a long history of being associated with organized crime because they’re a pure cash no receipt business. The basic idea is that the problems the players have to deal with ramp up as time goes by. You start with juvies vandalizing your machines and later not very sophisticated hackers try to rip off your machines and eventually you end up in the middle of a mob war between 2 different organized crime factions. Also the contents of what they’re selling will scale up starting with basic beverages and finishing with things like ammo packs and disposable pistols.
Now ai just have to find players interested in Cyberpunk or Shadowrun.

animorte
2022-07-22, 08:44 AM
5eNeedsDarksun would get a thrill out of this, as evident by the name (I assume).

Pex
2022-07-22, 12:46 PM
For me it's not about the premise but the gaming group. When a game lasts several years (most successful a 3E group of 12 years, 4 campaigns) the plot is important but the most important is being there playing. The saddest part is when it ends, and it can't come back because real life intervenes.

Kol Korran
2022-07-22, 12:58 PM
For me it's not about the premise but the gaming group. When a game lasts several years (most successful a 3E group of 12 years, 4 campaigns) the plot is important but the most important is being there playing. The saddest part is when it ends, and it can't come back because real life intervenes.

Not wanting to derail the thread, but I just wanted to agree full heartedly! We had a great gaming group, and due to Real Life stresses, the group broke up, and... I have never found something similar again... It mattered less the campaign or the premise- the people were what made it all so great...

I may have a few ideas for the actual topic, but I don't have the time to detail them now. Hopefully later...

SimonMoon6
2022-07-22, 05:44 PM
For me, it's something as simple as an isekai (self-insert) game. I've gotten to run a ton of these, many of which have turned out quite well (though one was left unfinished, so the PCs never got to find out that a demon lord was going to try to invade the real world and only the PCs could possibly save the day). But, I almost never got to play in one that lasted very long. And sometimes after the gaming group completed one of my awesome campaigns, we'd consider what to play next and someone would chime in, "Well, obviously, not something like THAT again, since we've just done one of those." But... that's what I want to play in. :(

The only such game I've gotten to play in that lasted more than two sessions was back in the late 1980s. It was a superhero game, but the GM got tired of the game and decided to kill off all the PCs. But I outsmarted him and defeated his killer supervillains. So, then he ran one final session that involved a McGuffin that was the power source for everyone's superpowers which was going to be destroyed or misused or something. My character saved the day in such a way that he ended up being the only person on the planet to retain his superpowers... but it was still a hollow victory because that ended the campaign.