PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Does Wall of Fire have to be straight? (when not used in ring form)

jmax
2022-07-23, 03:42 PM
Effect: Opaque sheet of flame up to 20 ft. long/level or a ring of fire with a radius of up to 5 ft. per two levels; either form 20 ft. high
An immobile, blazing curtain of shimmering violet fire springs into existence.

It just struck me that Wall of Fire (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfFire.htm) doesn't specify whether it has to be straight when not deployed in ring form. It doesn't have the (S) to indicate it's meant to be shapeable, but unlike Wall of Force (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfForce.htm), it doesn't specify that it must be flat (or even vertical). So could you snake it along the ground in a curve of your choice? That would suddenly make it a lot more powerful - the damage is still light (except against undead, for whom it's moderate), but depending on how finely you can draw the line, you could potentially hit all enemies on the field by making it an irregular shape that covers all of them.

None of "wall", "curtain", or "sheet" implies rigid or flat (or even vertical for that matter, but we can infer that from how fire behaves in real life), so we don't get any clue from that. We only get two clues from the provided text:

The ring form creates a circumference smaller than the allowed length of the "sheet" version. If the wall could be a flexible shape, it wouldn't be necessary to specify the ring form (which works out to 15.7 linear feet per caster level) except to speed up gameplay.
Medium range doesn't actually allow you to fit the whole available length in range past 10th level if it has to be straight, and even then it would have to pass through your own square. When it first becomes available at 7th level, you'd still have to place the wall quite close to yourself to get the full range. Defining a range smaller than the spell's area would be odd, though not unheard of.

"Wall" is not defined as a standardized shape in the Area (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#area) rules, so that doesn't help.

I'd be concerned about a curvy interpretation being applied to Blade Barrier (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bladeBarrier.htm) as that has similar verbiage with more damage, but Blade Barrier allows a Reflex save to negate the damage when placed in a creature's square, so that's probably ok.

What do you all think?

KillianHawkeye
2022-07-23, 04:18 PM
FWIW, I've always imagined wall spells as being straight, vertical lines unless shapeable or another option is given (e.g., ring shaped wall of fire, or hemispherical dome with wall of ice).

Troacctid
2022-07-23, 06:52 PM
I think the absence of a shapeable tag means it's probably a straight line.

Darg
2022-07-23, 09:12 PM
You don't have to fit the area into the range. If your fireball can be flung 800 ft but it's radius reaches 820 ft, that extra 20 ft aren't simply cut off. You only need part of the wall within range.

jmax
2022-07-23, 09:30 PM
You don't have to fit the area into the range. If your fireball can be flung 800 ft but it's radius reaches 820 ft, that extra 20 ft aren't simply cut off. You only need part of the wall within range.

Nope. It's silly, but the rules are quite clear:

Range
A spell’s range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the Range entry of the spell description. A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin. If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted.

Emphasis mine.

Troacctid
2022-07-23, 11:55 PM
Nope. It's silly, but the rules are quite clear:

Emphasis mine.
Wall of fire is an effect, not an area, so this may not apply. But either way, the wall will never outgrow the range completely, because both the length of the wall and the diameter of the allowable range (not the radius, since the wall can extend in both directions) increase by 20 ft per level.

jmax
2022-07-24, 06:57 AM
the wall will never outgrow the range completely, because both the length of the wall and the diameter of the allowable range (not the radius, since the wall can extend in both directions) increase by 20 ft per level.

Ah, derp. I'm so used to areas being measured by radius that I forgot to not double the length of the wall. So yeah, you can put the wall 173 feet away at CL10 and still fit the full length of the wall - if my groggy, just-woke-up trig is right. At CL20, it should be 250 feet (a smaller ratio relative to range, but the range has increased as well). That's plenty of room.

The original question still stands, though I'm inclined to agree that the intent was for it to be straight (but it would be much more worthwhile if it didn't have to be). Though it is a little odd that you can make it perfectly straight or perfectly circular but nothing in between.

Quertus
2022-07-29, 11:26 AM
Given that it’s “flaming”, I kinda always assumed it wasn’t straight. :smallwink:

I’ll show myself out now.