PDA

View Full Version : Character with highest knowledge bonuses while still being a decent archer by level 5

Zhentarim
2022-07-23, 05:14 PM
How would I best build a pathfinder character with very high knowledge bonuses early in the game who is also a decent archer? I'd like to be generally good at all knowledge checks, as well as be good at some social interaction, so I'm thinking of doing a human bard with the "chronicler of worlds" archetype, so I can boost INT for skills and get 2 extra skillpoints per level (human "skilled trait" and favored class bonus)...and using pragmatic activator traits for Int to UMD checks and Clever Wordplay for INT to diplomacy, so by level 2 of being a bard, I'm trained in all knowledge skills plus trained in diplomacy and linguistics, and am able to use my linguistics bonus on sense motive checks (or bluff, not sure which will come up more between the two). I don't want to necessarily min-max for skills, though. I want to be decent at archery too. How can I balance this?

Gavinfoxx
2022-07-23, 05:21 PM
How about a Cloistered Cleric doing the standard Cleric Archer build?

Cortillaen
2022-07-23, 06:26 PM
The Catfolk Bard FCB is serious business for knowledges, doubling Bardic Knowledge. I think +1/2 per level to all knowledges is better for a knowledge-focused build than the 2 skill ranks per level from Human's Skilled & FCB. Only catch is I'm unclear on whether Chronicler of Worlds still has the normal Bardic Knowledge effects.

RandomPeasant
2022-07-23, 06:49 PM
How about a Cloistered Cleric doing the standard Cleric Archer build?

Cleric also gives you access to divine guidance, which will let you blow anyone else's skill checks out of the water. You might want to be a regular Cleric for the slight better BAB before divine power, but it's not more than a point's difference, and Cloistered is much better for knowledges.

Gavinfoxx
2022-07-23, 10:13 PM
When you say Pathfinder, do you mean a 3.pf game? Or PURE Pf1e? Sorry, forgot to ask earlier.

Gnaeus
2022-07-23, 11:47 PM
Probably the easiest way would be inquisitor. Big bonuses on knowledge skills and bane and judgment work well with ranged fighting.