PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Pathfinder 1e] Eberron Halfling Barbarian?

spectralphoenix
2022-07-24, 07:00 PM
I was sort of considering the possibilities of making a Talenta halfling barbarian. Generally speaking, halflings are *ahem* underserved by the Barbarian rules, but the Pathfinder makes DEX melee a lot more viable, the Unchained Barbarian (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/barbarian-unchained)'s rage is rewritten to get untyped damage bonuses instead of a STR bonus, and finally the Mad Dog (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo-barbarian-archetypes/mad-dog/) archetype even allows for a dino animal companion. So with all that in mind, I was curious about how solid of a build could be put together with this.

Stats: I'm thinking of starting out with the following, after racial adjustments:

STR: 13
INT: 8

DEX: 20
WIS: 12

CON: 14
CHA: 9

That's a bit more strength than the typical DEX build, but I want Power Attack, and it will come in handy for the first two levels until Dervish Dance comes online. Not much point trying to intimidate anyone at small size, and I don't have the feat slots for it anyway.

Racials: Fleet of Foot is probably better than sure-footed. I could conceivably swap halfling luck for underfoot, but his physical defense is probably already better than a standard barb and you can never have too high a save bonus.

Traits: Reactionary or Axe to Grind, something that gives a bonus to Will saves?

Equipment: Starts out with a short sword and buckler to take advantage of Weapon Finesse, then swaps to scimitar/buckler at third level. Some gear for the dino, otherwise pretty predicatable.

Skills: Perception, two ranks in Perform(dance) for prereqs, Ride, Survival?

Feats:

Weapon Finesse

Dervish Dance

Extra Rage

Power Attack

Improved Critical

Risky Striker

Not as certain about the rest, maybe Critical Focus and a critical feat? Also not sure whether Power Attack or Extra Rage should go first - Power Attack is obviously useful, but the archetype penalty means I'm behind on rage rounds.

Rage Powers: He only gets half as many due to mad dog, so not as many choices here. I'd just go with the Accurate Stance tree.

Animal Companion: Deinonychus. Can't actually ride it until it grows at 7th level, and then I'd probably be better off fighting in tandem than riding it in combat, but the dino animal companion is key to the aesthetic, and a pretty powerful sidekick to boot.

So the obvious disadvantage here, of course, is that it takes a little bit for everything to come online. 3rd level to get DEX to damage, 4th level to get Rage, 7th to get Power Attack and a medium size dino. Still, I think this could be reasonably playable even at low levels, and actually pretty decent once the whole toolset is up. Any good ways to improve this?* Any rules oversights or whatnot in the build?

*other than "stop messing around with halfling barbarians and stick to the classics"

Kurald Galain
2022-07-25, 01:37 AM
I find you usually don't need Extra Rage, you should get plenty of rounds from your class itself.

Don't go for Power Attack on a dex-based character; you have Risky Striker and Piranha Strike to cover for that (and maybe Big Game Hunter). That also means you can drop your strength to about 8 and spend the points on something more useful to you.

Bear in mind that most classes are not fully effective at first level, so don't worry too much about that. I don't recommend sinking a lot of build resources into something you won't use after level two.

Finally, consider one level of Mouser swashbuckler, which is both effective and hilarious. HTH.

spectralphoenix
2022-07-25, 08:03 PM
I find you usually don't need Extra Rage, you should get plenty of rounds from your class itself.

Don't go for Power Attack on a dex-based character; you have Risky Striker and Piranha Strike to cover for that (and maybe Big Game Hunter). That also means you can drop your strength to about 8 and spend the points on something more useful to you.

Bear in mind that most classes are not fully effective at first level, so don't worry too much about that. I don't recommend sinking a lot of build resources into something you won't use after level two.

Finally, consider one level of Mouser swashbuckler, which is both effective and hilarious. HTH.

Piranha Strike and 16 CON was my original plan, but it only works with light weapons. A light weapon would require Slashing Grace, which would require another prerequisite feat before things get moving. And Risky Striker is good, but it only works against Large+ opponents which is kind of limiting. Really, the whole thing is a case study of how all the various DEX melee feats just don't quite fit together easily.

I probably should consider a swashbuckler dip though, that might be the most efficient method of making things work.

Kurald Galain
2022-07-26, 01:17 AM
A light weapon would require Slashing Grace, which would require another prerequisite feat before things get moving.
True, it helps if you can get an Agile Weapon instead. Or as you say, swashbuckler dip. Dex-to-damage is expensive because of how crazy good it is to get dex-to-everything.