PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Looking for a path for character

MisterD
2022-07-24, 08:26 PM
I have created a level 5 Skill based character (per Adventurer's League level 5 rules. Should I take +1 Rapier or +1 Hand X-Bow)

https://ddb.ac/characters/79374446/LK45hn

Level 1:
V. Human = Insight
Feat (Skilled) = Medicine, Perception, Animal Handling
Background (sage) = Arcana History
Rogue = Athletics, Acrobatics, Sleight of hand, Stealth
Level 2:
Cleric (Knowledge) = Nature, Religion
Level 3-5
Bard (Lore) = Investigation, Survival, Intimidation, Performance

Level 6
Bard (ASI = +2 CHA)
Level 7-8
Warlock (Hex-blade) Deception, Persuasion (Beguiling Influence)

Possible paths

Level 9-10 Rogue for Swashbuckler
Level 11-20 (I hope) Bard
Rogue 3 / Cleric 1 / Warlock 2 / Bard 16

9-20 (I hope) for Swashbuckler
Rogue 11 / Cleric 1 / Bard 6 / Warlock 2

meandean
2022-07-24, 09:05 PM
(This is a Rogue 1/Lore Bard 3/Knowledge Cleric 1. VHuman, 8/16/12/10/14/14, Skilled feat. Proficiency in all skills)

Once you're Lore Bard 3 anyway, I feel it behooves you to go to 6. That's an ASI; Inspiration on a short rest rather than a long; and two 1st-3rd level spells from any class in the game. Those are all very big. You want counterspell for one of the Additional Magical Secrets. My default pick for the other is find familiar, but that's more negotiable.

At that point, you should go at least one more Rogue level and pick up Cunning Action, because that is never not useful and it'd be a real shame to be any sort of a Rogue without it. Then it really depends on what you and your party want and need... but knowing the little I know, I'd say keep going Bard. If you've never played a caster, this will be a good opportunity to learn -- a Lore Bard is versatile and powerful.

Put your ASI towards Charisma. Sleep is unfortunately already outdated by 5th level. Other good 1st-level Bard combat spells are silvery barbs (a spell so powerful it may even be disallowed); dissonant whispers (best if there's another Rogue in your party, but good even if there isn't); faerie fire; and Tasha's hideous laughter. There are useful out-of-combat spells as well, like disguise self and charm person.

MisterD
2022-07-26, 12:19 PM
Updated original post

Mastikator
2022-07-26, 01:01 PM
9-13 Ranger (gloom stalker), deft explorer nabs you 2 extra expertizes. Gloomstalker gets you an extra attack and +1d8 damage per those attacks on 1st round. 5th level of ranger nabs you extra attack

14-16 Fighter (battle master), action surge on 1st round for 2 x 3 attacks on 1st round, 4 of which can add superiority dice. If you grab sharpshooter and precise maneuver you can dish out adequate damage for a 16th level character.

meandean
2022-07-26, 06:01 PM
Stopping at Swashbuckler 3 doesn't make much sense to me. You're not two-weapon fighting... if you don't want to be in melee with someone, I think you can afford to use a bonus action to Disengage. I don't see the easier Sneak Attack as a big deal, at least if you do stop at Swashbuckler 3. The initiative bonus is great, but I'd rather take Alert as a feat than sacrifice spellcasting progress on what in this case would be mostly a caster.

The one where you take Swashbuckler to 11 sounds fun, assuming of course you want to be that sort of melee skirmisher. You could also take Warlock to 5 for the equivalent of Extra Attack; that naturally would be the better option if you do want to be an archer.

I suspect your goal here is to fill in all the circles on the character sheet, in which case this advice isn't for you... but IMO, don't take Skilled or the Beguiling Influence invocation, and unless you're going all the way with Swashbuckler, don't do the Rogue dip at all. Instead, just do a second level in Knowledge Cleric. The Channel Divinity makes you proficient in any skill. For zero cost, you can add guidance to that for an average of +2.5. If you really need to make the check, you can spend a 2nd-level slot on enhance ability and upgrade the +2.5 to advantage (usually worth around +5). That's as good as you need to be when we're talking about a situational circumstance. You're gimping the character by jumping through a marathon of hoops in order to become permanently proficient in skills that come up so rarely that temporary proficiency is more than sufficient.

MisterD
2022-07-26, 07:54 PM
Going Swahlock

https://ddb.ac/characters/79504876/uainGf

Going Bardlock
https://ddb.ac/characters/79502902/53bcpo