PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Did not anticipate the players - now what?

Darth Credence
2022-07-25, 11:04 AM
My players have been searching for the son of one of their allies, who was conscripted and sent into war against the fey (it really made sense at the time). They were finally approaching the tower that they knew he was in, and that was going to be the focus of several sessions. I was taking some inspiration from Tomb of Horrors, so the tower had four "entrances", three of them false.

So the session was going great! They were being pursued by a small part of the Wild Hunt (I planned on the whole thing coming after them when they try to escape the Feywild), and we made it into a skill challenge chase scene. I had written up a bunch of flavor text for places in the forest they were being chased through, and timed some chase music to it, so it really came together well. We established the rules of how things would work, they had a two minute head start, they needed 8 successes to reach the tower, and lost 30 seconds on each failure. They made it with only two failures, leaving them a minute to figure out what to do.

So, tower with four fifty foot long tunnels leading in at each main compass point. They came in from the south east, but had overhead scouts give them the entire layout. They had to get up the motte to where the tower was, then figure out which entrance to go in. The one to their immediate left was the correct one, and was a slightly modified version of the correct one from ToH. They go to the right.

That one was a modified version of the giant devil face. Instead of a devil, it was a lion for lore reasons, that opened its mouth when light was shined on it. They saw the lion at the end with dark vision, decided it wasn't the place, and split up to go around each way. To the right was the sliding block entrance. One character, the impulsive one we'll call T, headed down, set off the trap, and barely escaped. It worked well, tension ratcheted up, everyone was on the edge of their seats after what we'd done so far. Same time, the wizard and fighter had gone around with T, but kept moving to the other side. The ranger went over the correct entrance to check the back, while the artificer checked the correct entrance, and the bard hid.

The artificer saw the long hallway in darkvision, so didn't get the bright colors and couldn't tell what all the mosaics and frescoes were, but saw the misty arch at the end. He sends his mechanical servant through, it disappears, ending up in a cell, although they don't know that just that it's gone. They bring in light, see the path in the floor, note the colored stones in the archway, talk about it, clearly have a handle on what needs to be done to get through. Wizard and ranger have made it to the farthest entrance, the ceiling trap had already gone off, killing members of the group they were following. Great, everyone's ready to head to the correct entrance, and we will proceed with the dungeon. Hooray!

Not so fast. The wizard sends their familiar through, then pocket dimensions it and brings it back, finds out about the cell. Well, that must be the wrong entrance, they decide, so let's check out the lion. Now, I knew it was at least possible that one of them, almost certainly T, decides to go through it, so it was not a sphere of annihilation. It was a one way portal to the astral plane. I had a plan in case someone gets sucked through - they'd be picked up by a Spelljammer, who would take them to a color pool if they gave them a magic item to fuel the ship. The person would lose a minor item, but make it back home safe, and the player could play the sidekick for the rest of the session. But it would only be one, right? Because they always have a telepathic bond going, and could tell the others what was up, or they could do the send the familiar through bit, and learn what was going on, or they could use sending to find out where the first person through had ended up. I'm saying they have options.

But, by this point, the minute was almost up, and everyone was panicking. Everyone but the ranger had made it to that entrance. And rather than check at all, they just one right after the other ran through. The ranger stayed carefully on the path, but did not do anything with the keystone, so he ended up in the cell, which he could quickly and easily escape from, and he could let the person they were after out. Everyone else is now somewhere in the Astral plane.

TL;DR - All but one panicked, and jumped into a portal leading to a random place in the Astral Plane, not using any of the many ways they had on hand to know that was happening. One person made it to the dungeon, the rest are scattered. They are so excited to find out what I have planned for them, and the answer is nothing. I have nothing planned. I can have adventures in the Astral plane, sure, but one guy is still on mission, and short of him escaping the tower and going and diving in the mouth, I don't know what to do. And having said that, I'm pretty sure that he will go and dive in the mouth as soon as possible, because why not?

Worst part for me personally - I am halfway through building the escape, which would require them to activate a number of runes to open the portal. I was programming an Arduino to light up the runes as they are activated, then light up the waterfall portal when everything is activated. Clear resin prints, alcohol ink painting, it was shaping up to be awesome. Oh, well.

Eldan
2022-07-26, 04:35 AM
Okay, so. First, make it so that the last player and the person they are rescuing also jumping in the astral is a logical idea.

You mentioned the wild hunt. Have them lay siege to the tower (there's an ancient protetion circle around the tower, so they can't come in, but they won't give up easily.) So in character, the ranger thinks the astral plane is the only way out. It also makes sense, that's where all the allies are. Scrap any other planned exits, and talk to the player OOC, that he should please just go through, for the sake of having the party together.

Then, don't have them too scattered. Make it so they find each other drifting after a few real-world minutes, then proceed with an astral adventure. The astral adventure is now about getting their ally's son back in one piece from the astral.

Your set piece sounds awesome. Do what every DM ever has done if the players skip a cool setpiece: put it in the next adventure.

Pauly
2022-07-26, 05:48 PM
Tomb of Horrors is designed as a stand alone tournament module not something to drop into a campaign, so there are certain elements to it that make it hard to translate into a campaign event.

What I would do to try to get the party back on track.
1) the members sent to the astral plane are not sent to random places but to a mirror location of your ToH.
2) This location is designed as a live catch trap by the builder of your ToH for reasons.
3) there is a method of communication between the astral plane and the party member left behind.
4) the party can activate a return mechanism from the astral plane, but it requires someone at the astral plane and someone in the ToH.
5) This seems to me as best suited as a puzzle to solve, not a combat to win. Not to say there is no combat, just that combat is the lessee challenge.

Darth Credence
2022-08-03, 04:51 PM
Okay, so. First, make it so that the last player and the person they are rescuing also jumping in the astral is a logical idea.

You mentioned the wild hunt. Have them lay siege to the tower (there's an ancient protetion circle around the tower, so they can't come in, but they won't give up easily.) So in character, the ranger thinks the astral plane is the only way out. It also makes sense, that's where all the allies are. Scrap any other planned exits, and talk to the player OOC, that he should please just go through, for the sake of having the party together.

Then, don't have them too scattered. Make it so they find each other drifting after a few real-world minutes, then proceed with an astral adventure. The astral adventure is now about getting their ally's son back in one piece from the astral.

Your set piece sounds awesome. Do what every DM ever has done if the players skip a cool setpiece: put it in the next adventure.

Oh, yeah. That set piece will be used somewhere.

That's good advice, thanks. I have a plan now, that I'll mention below.

Tomb of Horrors is designed as a stand alone tournament module not something to drop into a campaign, so there are certain elements to it that make it hard to translate into a campaign event.
That's why I said heavily modified - it would be closer to "I used a few ToH traps in my dungeon", specifically the entrance, the modified green devil face, swapped the siren for a medusa with three bags that they can choose from if they ask, and the first key.

What I would do to try to get the party back on track.
1) the members sent to the astral plane are not sent to random places but to a mirror location of your ToH.
2) This location is designed as a live catch trap by the builder of your ToH for reasons.
3) there is a method of communication between the astral plane and the party member left behind.
4) the party can activate a return mechanism from the astral plane, but it requires someone at the astral plane and someone in the ToH.
5) This seems to me as best suited as a puzzle to solve, not a combat to win. Not to say there is no combat, just that combat is the lessee challenge.

I was working on incorporating the advice that you and Eldan gave - getting everyone back together, and either returning to the tower, or sending the last members to the astral plane and have to escape from there. Then I talked to my players.

They initially wanted to run everyone separately over Discord, and then have another session when everyone is back together. After some talk, we all agreed that that would incredibly slow down the game, especially considering they can communicate and it would be hard to coordinate that through Discord, and it would be boring if we did it live. I told them I had several ideas for how I could bring them back together, and that they could be attempting to meet up either in the astral or the tower. Then someone came up with the idea that those in the astral play out in the astral while the one player takes a new character there to join in, and the one who made it into the tower frees prisoners who are played by the other players and we play that out. Works for me, so that's where we're going.

We're finishing the tower first, since I have that prepared. I told them to make whatever they want, and they went nuts, going with races that are not part of the normal campaign. Since it's temporary and in the Feywild, I ran with it. There is a harengon, a firbolg, a grung, and Conner, the prisoner they were looking for. In the end, if they escape the Feywild, they will turn into a rabbit, a cow, a frog, and a soldier (no more class levels). Their ability to help will be purely based on the magic of the Fey, which goes away when they leave (I talked to each one individually, looking to find out if they wanted to keep these characters or go with this, and they each agreed to go with it.)

Once that is done, we will switch to the astral. I've already given each one a way to find the others, without knowing. The first person through looked around and saw a Spelljammer, with a Giff pointing a pistol at him. He offered a ride in exchange for fueling the ship, and the Giff knows how to get to cities floating in the sea. For the others, I took a set of molecule building blocks and created a constellation, with each atom representing a massive city or the like. I then took pictures from different angles, so I could describe it to them as everyone seeing it from a far off distance. They all took the hook and are headed towards the purple one, because the yellow ones were boring and the red one had to be bad. They'll all get together, and the person whose character did not go through will be playing the Giff, as a down on his luck spelljammer who doesn't have enough money to fuel the ship, and sees the adventurers as a way to get flying again.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. That I ended up going a different way doesn't change that I appreciate it, and it has absolutely helped.