PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help choosing the 1st-level spell for Strixhaven Initiate (Quandrix)

yisopo
2022-07-26, 04:44 AM
Hi all,
as stated in the title, could you please help me choosing the 1st-level spell for the feat Strixhaven Initiate?

Strixhaven Initiate

You learn [...] one 1st-level spell based on the college you choose, as specified in the Strixhaven Spells table below.

You can cast the chosen 1st-level spell without a spell slot, and you must finish a long rest before you can cast it in this way again. You can also cast the spell using any spell slots you have.

[...]

Quandrix [...] Choose one 1st-level druid or wizard spell.

Here some info:

- Divination Wizard
- Campaign* from level 3/5 to level 14
- Other feats I have/will have: Lucky and Alert
- Quandrix College, so from druid or wizard spells
- I'm not interested in healing

I think an obvious choice may be Shield. But what about Mage Armour, Silvery Barbs, Gift of Alacrity? Other spells? Choosing Mage Armour or Gift of Alacrity is tempting because their longer duration.

Thank you!

EDIT: The adventures will be "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" and "The Rise of Tiamat", so till level 15.

follacchioso
2022-07-26, 04:52 AM
Since you are a Divinitation wizard, I would go for a spell that is not on the Wizard list.

Healing Words and Goodberries come to mind, as they provide you a way to heal an ally in case of emergencies. Entangle and Faerie Fire for battlefield control. Speak with Animals for useful RP interactions.

Pooky the Imp
2022-07-26, 06:46 AM
If you picked Speak with Animals, you'd also be able to cast it as a ritual, right?

Dualight
2022-07-26, 08:09 AM
It wouldn't be a wizard spell, nor would it be in the spellbook, so no, ritual casting it is not an option, as the wizard's ritual casting feature specifies that it only works for wizard spells that are in the spell book. Which incidentally also means that a wizard who has lost their spellbook cannot ritual cast spells, even if they still have them prepared.

yisopo
2022-07-26, 09:01 AM
I edited the first post, adding the adventures will be "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" and "The Rise of Tiamat".

Since you are a Divinitation wizard, I would go for a spell that is not on the Wizard list.
Yes, you are right. But only if it is worth. :smallbiggrin:

Healing Words and Goodberries come to mind, as they provide you a way to heal an ally in case of emergencies.
As specified in the first post, I want to avoid healing spells.

Entangle and Faerie Fire for battlefield control.
I prefer Entangle over Faerie Fire. But I don't think casting Entangle every day is better than casting Mage Armour every day. :smallbiggrin:

Speak with Animals for useful RP interactions.
I'm interested in minmaxing, so I would avoid spells mainly for RP.

tiornys
2022-07-26, 11:16 AM
Unless you have incredible Dex for some reason, optimal play involves an early multiclass for medium armor proficiency. If that's not something you plan to do for whatever reason, Mage Armor is a good choice.

Otherwise, Entangle is the best non-healing spell you wouldn't otherwise have access to and is good enough to be worth your concentration at least once per day in at least tiers 1 and 2, assuming a standard number of encounters per long rest. If you're worried about potentially wasting the spellcast at higher levels and/or only expect a few fights per long rest, go with Shield or Silvery Barbs.

follacchioso
2022-07-27, 12:20 AM
Entangle is actually on the Quandrix list, so you can learn it anyways from a scroll or from levelling up.

I know you said no healing, but healing word is just so good... Wizards do not normally have means to heal, and this can be even be based on INT...

Mage armour is a 8 hours duration spell, and it is one of the few spells that you can use effectively with Arcane Recovery at the beginning of the day. Some DMs even allow players to cast it one minute before the end of a long rest, using the spell slot from the previous day and recovering one minute afterwards. It's a bit on the edge of the rules, but overall not too overpowered.

yisopo
2022-07-27, 02:20 AM
Entangle is actually on the Quandrix list, so you can learn it anyways from a scroll or from levelling up.
You are right, I didn't notice. Great! ;)

I know you said no healing, but healing word is just so good... Wizards do not normally have means to heal, and this can be even be based on INT...
You are totally right, but thematically I don't like my PC being able to heal. Moreover, there will be a life cleric in the party.

Mage armour is a 8 hours duration spell, and it is one of the few spells that you can use effectively with Arcane Recovery at the beginning of the day. Some DMs even allow players to cast it one minute before the end of a long rest, using the spell slot from the previous day and recovering one minute afterwards. It's a bit on the edge of the rules, but overall not too overpowered.
Unfortunately my DM is not among them. :(

Unless you have incredible Dex for some reason, optimal play involves an early multiclass for medium armor proficiency. If that's not something you plan to do for whatever reason, Mage Armor is a good choice.
I thought multiclassing with Wizard was not "mandatory" from an optimization point of view. Am I wrong?

For several reasons, I would prefer to avoid multiclassing. So, in this scenario, you confirm Mage Armor, great.

Anyway, you can read the optimization of my build here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?646526-Build-Divination-Wizard-lvl5-with-strange-ability-score-generation&

Otherwise, Entangle is the best non-healing spell you wouldn't otherwise have access to and is good enough to be worth your concentration at least once per day in at least tiers 1 and 2, assuming a standard number of encounters per long rest.
As follacchioso noticed, Entangle is in my list thanks to the Quandrix Initiate feat. So I will have it anyway.

I didn't know Entangle was worth till level 10. Good to know! ;)

If you're worried about potentially wasting the spellcast at higher levels and/or only expect a few fights per long rest, go with Shield or Silvery Barbs.
So you think Silvery Barbs or Shield are better than Magic Armor as "special spell" from the Strixhaven Initiate feat?

tiornys
2022-07-27, 12:34 PM
I thought multiclassing with Wizard was not "mandatory" from an optimization point of view. Am I wrong?
At high op, shield proficiency is considered mandatory and a 1 level full caster progression dip is cheaper than 2 feats. At most tables it's good but staying single classed is also fine.

As follacchioso noticed, Entangle is in my list thanks to the Quandrix Initiate feat. So I will have it anyway.

I didn't know Entangle was worth till level 10. Good to know! ;)
I'm pretty sure it's the background that adds it to your list. The feat only gives you what you pick.

Entangle is good in most of the same scenarios where Web is good, so it retains value until you stop expecting to see enough melee walkers to burn through your Web slots.

So you think Silvery Barbs or Shield are better than Magic Armor as "special spell" from the Strixhaven Initiate feat?
I think those spells will see use every day at all tiers of play, maybe even more consistently than Mage Armor (I think there's at least one magic item that can obsolete Mage Armor).

yisopo
2022-07-29, 08:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the background that adds it to your list. The feat only gives you what you pick.
You are totally right.

Entangle is good in most of the same scenarios where Web is good, so it retains value until you stop expecting to see enough melee walkers to burn through your Web slots.
Do you think it is worth to take both, Entangle and Web, considering my build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?646526-Build-Divination-Wizard-lvl5-with-strange-ability-score-generation&)?

I think those spells will see use every day at all tiers of play, maybe even more consistently than Mage Armor (I think there's at least one magic item that can obsolete Mage Armor).
Uh, I didn't consider magic items may replace Mage Armor!

Ramaladni
2022-07-29, 08:35 AM
I'm playing a Quandrix Wiz, picked up FF, but I've really only had the chance to use it once. If you discard that option, the spell list isn't very exciting, since you've also excluded HW and Goodberry. A free use of Faerie Fire/Entangle or another wizard spell might be best.

tiornys
2022-07-29, 10:07 AM
How much do you know about the rest of the party? Specifically: is anyone in the party melee focused with minimal ranged options, and how many characters have access to forced movement? Web is much better than Entangle in a party where everyone has a decent ranged attack and you have lots of forced movement (Repelling Blast, Swarmkeeper Ranger, Crusher and Telekinetic feats, maybe Thorn Whip, etc.) to push enemies who escape Web back into it. In this case you'd want to use Web as much as possible, would likely keep it on your prep list for the entire campaign, and I would probably not take Entangle.

Conversely, if your leveled spells like Thunderwave and Vortex Warp are the only forced movement in the party, then Entangle and Web often accomplish the same thing except Entangle is cheaper with longer range (you'd still want Web also for its ability to go vertical/hinder fliers). If you have an overly enthusiastic melee character who's likely to go engage enemies in the area even if that's tactically unwise, then Entangle's lack of repeated restrain becomes something of an advantage instead of a disadvantage. In this case I'd learn both and expect to eventually drop Web from my prep list.

yisopo
2022-08-01, 02:42 AM
I'm playing a Quandrix Wiz, picked up FF, but I've really only had the chance to use it once. If you discard that option, the spell list isn't very exciting, since you've also excluded HW and Goodberry. A free use of Faerie Fire/Entangle or another wizard spell might be best.
Thanks for the comment. If I could go back, would you pick another spell?

How much do you know about the rest of the party? Specifically: is anyone in the party melee focused with minimal ranged options, and how many characters have access to forced movement?
Other party members:
- Eldritch Knight with a melee weapon
- Monk of the Shadow
- Cleric (Life, light or nature... she hasn't choice yet)
- me

I think none will have access to forced movement.

Web is much better than Entangle in a party where everyone has a decent ranged attack and you have lots of forced movement (Repelling Blast, Swarmkeeper Ranger, Crusher and Telekinetic feats, maybe Thorn Whip, etc.) to push enemies who escape Web back into it. In this case you'd want to use Web as much as possible, would likely keep it on your prep list for the entire campaign, and I would probably not take Entangle.
I think I'm not in this scenario then.

Conversely, if your leveled spells like Thunderwave and Vortex Warp are the only forced movement in the party, then Entangle and Web often accomplish the same thing except Entangle is cheaper with longer range (you'd still want Web also for its ability to go vertical/hinder fliers). If you have an overly enthusiastic melee character who's likely to go engage enemies in the area even if that's tactically unwise, then Entangle's lack of repeated restrain becomes something of an advantage instead of a disadvantage. In this case I'd learn both and expect to eventually drop Web from my prep list.
Thanks! ;-)

Bobthewizard
2022-08-01, 07:28 AM
Other party members:
- Eldritch Knight with a melee weapon
- Monk of the Shadow
- Cleric (Life, light or nature... she hasn't choice yet)
- me

I would definitely recommend healing word with this party. I know you don't want healing, but someone might need to pick up that life cleric sometimes.

yisopo
2022-08-03, 04:24 AM
I would definitely recommend healing word with this party. I know you don't want healing, but someone might need to pick up that life cleric sometimes.
You almost convinced me. :smallbiggrin:
I have some time before starting the game, so I will ponder more about this on the next weeks.

Thank you very much!