PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Lvl 20 One Shot advice help - Building Mizzmage, do we go cleric or wizard main?

Enderasha
2022-07-27, 06:24 AM
So preface. We are planning level 20 one shots in between rotating DM's. The premise is relatively simple but there are a couple restrictions. Limited funds so costly spells might be hampered or repeatedly casting spells with material components could also be limited (looking at you Fortune's Favor). No extended magic beyond the current day so no simulacrum, clone, magic jar shenanigans etc. This is to only slightly curb the insanity that is high level arcane magic. Also death is permanent. If you fail 3 death daves (or die outright) your character is immediately retired and has to be replaced. Will be a high difficulty.

The goal is creating a mizzmage - or caster utilizing the Mizzium Apparatus. I know lots are probably familiar but I was only recently clued into this concept. The apparatus lets you cast spells on any spell list you have access to regardless of what levels of spells you normally have access to from it as long as you have spell slots to do so. e.g. having one level of druid lets you cast all druid spells. The only limit is making an arcana check DC 10+2xSpell Level.

The three options I am looking at are as follows. Two are slightly unorthodox compared to the typical builds because I'm weird. I want to know which you think would perform better functionally for themselves and for the party as a whole.

Vedalken Wizard Chronurgy 19/Peace 1
This is the most conservative build and I've seen it posted a few places. It would gain access to emboldening bond and Vedalken for +2d4 (though really the +2 is the important part) for a total Arcana bonus of +19. This guarantees up to 5th level spells 'auto prepared' from both the cleric and wizard spell lists. The only spells from those levels I'd likely prepare are Silvery Barbs (spell mastery), Mind Whip (spell mastery) and counterspell/dispel for upcast.
Notable magic items: Robe of the Archmagi; Grimoire +3; Mizzium Apparatus; Broom of Flying

Perks: Cleric spell list, Peace buff, +5 initiative and gift of alacrity, 2x Ally rerolls, Lvl 19 ASI, Abeyance (though limited to single action cast time spells), Arcane Recovery, and Convergent Future

Shadar-Kai (or any other mechanically useful race) Wizard Chronurgy 18/Stars 2
This build still has spell mastery but would have access to only Arcana +17 which means only level 4 spells guaranteed all the time. Druid spell list is a bit different but still gives restorative magics and some odd utility that can be useful but not always needed so good for free prep. Same spell mastery and preparations as above. The big advantage is entering starry form as a bonus action gives you automatic preparation for Wizard and Druid spells levels 1-9
Notable magic items: Robe of the Archmagi; Grimoire +3; Mizzium Apparatus; Broom of Flying

Perks: Druid spell list, Mizz access levels 1-9, +5 initiative and gift of alacrity, 2x Ally rerolls, Abeyance (though limited to single action cast time spells), Arcane Recovery, and Convergent Future

Honorable mention is of course the standard Chron 17/Stars 2/Knowledge 1 which has everything baked into it (expertise arcana and starry form. While I get this is strong I have a really hard time playing a wizard of this level for the first time and not getting Spell Mastery.

Here's the odd-ball build, is it worth it?

Dwarf Twilight 17/Stars 2/Wizard 1
The idea here is using the Cleric Chassi with access to wizard spells. Using heavy armor without the need for strength or dex, we are safe to pump intellect making the use of arcana not that painful. With a total bonus of +18 this build can still cast up to 5th level Cleric/Druid/Wizard spells outside of starry form and cast up to 9th level spells of each in starry form. We lose the powerful Chron features and spell mastery but gain some pretty sizeable party wide buffs. Twilight's Aura is amazing and at this level also provides +2 AC to all allies inside of it.
Notable Magic items: Ioun Stone of Mastery; Amulet of the Devout +3 (using it RAW, all class spells); Mizzium Apparatus; Broom of Flying for not in dim light or darkness

Perks: Druid and Cleric spell lists, Mizz access levels 1-9, Advantage on Initiative (though no dex so bonus is lower), Twilight Aura 1d6+17 and +2 AC to allies within it, Harness Divine power up to level 4 spells

I am literally having analysis paralysis on this right now