PDA

View Full Version : Illusionist Sorcerer?

SangoProduction
2022-07-27, 11:20 PM
It's been a while since I've played vancian casters.
But I want to play an illusionist. Someone who trivially casts a bunch of images and such illusions at almost any time, for trivial reasons. A bit of a jokester / trickster-type character.
Is sorcerer a valid illusionist for this purpose in Pathfinder?
Is there a better class?

Kurald Galain
2022-07-28, 12:41 AM
Is sorcerer a valid illusionist for this purpose in Pathfinder?
Yes, and you can consider Mesmerist as an alternative, although Sorc is probably best.

SangoProduction
2022-07-28, 01:25 AM
What sorts of feats should I pick up as an illusionist?

Kurald Galain
2022-07-28, 01:29 AM
This one is funny (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/threatening-illusion-metamagic/).

Maat Mons
2022-07-28, 03:29 AM
If you want something a little more like the 3.5 Beguiler, the Sage bloodline switches a Sorcerer's casting stat to Intelligence. You could also take the Seeker archetype, to gain Trapfinding.

Alternately, the Arcanist class would make for a good illusionist.

Particle_Man
2022-07-28, 03:37 AM
Would your dm be open to importing 3.5 classes? Because if so Beguiler itself might fit the bill.

Segev
2022-07-28, 10:51 AM
This one is funny (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/threatening-illusion-metamagic/).

Y'know, I think that one would be fair to make a +0 level adjustment to the spell. It's nice, but it's probably enough to have spent the resource to buy the feat in the first place to get this for all of your figments without having to increase the spell slot.

ShurikVch
2022-07-28, 07:54 PM
Note: Dragon #330 have rules for Spheres for Sorcerers: "Sphere Sorcerer" gets spells of their chosen Sphere 1 level earlier (at the same levels as Wizards), but spells from opposite Sphere - two levels later (i. e., say, "opposite" spell of usually-2nd-level would be available with the spells of 3rd-level); also +1 CL for chosen Sphere, and -2 CL - for opposite
One of suggested Spheres is "Shadow" (sub-school of Illusion); opposite to it is "Light" (spells with Light descriptor)

SangoProduction
2022-07-28, 09:02 PM
That's actually really neat.

Erik the Green
2022-07-31, 01:40 AM
Might I suggest you search out ERTW's beguiler conversion? It's a really solid piece of homebrew, under development since c.2014. I just re-searched for it and found the latest version as a Google doc. At 63 pages currently, ERTW really does bring the beguiler into Pathfinder, roughly along the pattern of a sorcerer, with 6 orders (kits of possible abilities plus focused spell access), 7 archetypes (including one that's a Factotum analog and another one that's CHA-based), equipment, feats, magic items, spells, and more. He even includes 7 broad templates to make other classes beguiler-like. The best pathway in the search results is through the link to the Paizo forums, I think, and it's really just matter of a minute to get to the DOC.
Regards,
ETG