PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Beginner Resource

MagneticDragon
2022-07-28, 09:34 AM
Greetings.

As someone who finds themselves somewhat frustrated by the limitations of 5E. I have decided to try and expand my horizon and have a look at some of the older editions of the game. Specifically, 3.5, 4, and Pathfinder. As well as Pathfinder 2E. Pathfinder, it seems, has a very up-to-date system reference document.

However. I have been incapable of finding an effective system reference document for 4th Edition. And the one I have found for 3.5, while quite capable of covering the basics, seems like it has very little information beyond the core. Meaning that I will undoubtedly be missing a significant amount when it comes to potential classes and feats.

Does anyone have any websites they can direct me towards in order to expand the information I have in regards to 3.5 and 4E content? Additionally. Is there a table of content in regards to optimisation guides for classes on this forum for when I wish to have a shot at these other classes?

I admit I tend to do roleplay more than rollplay, but the rollplay aspect should be fun and enjoyable and making a weak character feels counterproductive to that.

Thank you very much in advance.

Telonius
2022-07-28, 10:30 AM
There are websites with a whole lot more content listed, but the main issue is that only Core (Players Handbook, Monster Manual 1, Dungeon Master's Guide, and portions of Unearthed Arcana) were released under the Open Game License. Even some of the monsters in MM1 weren't part of it, like the Mind Flayer; they were deemed proprietary. So you won't find them on d20srd.org. Pathfinder doesn't really have this issue; since it's not released by Wizards, and is entirely covered by the OGL, they can post pretty much whatever updates they want.

Forum rules prevent us from linking out to any of the sites that provide non-OGL content. (They're usually pretty easy to find - Google any prestige class name as a search term, and they're usually in the top couple of results).

I don't think we actually have a post listing the updated handbook links for 3.5. A lot of the older ones were posted on other sites that have since gone defunct. But if you google Giantitp (class name) handbook, it should direct you to the right place. (I'd really recommend Google or some other search engine; the Search function on this site is not the best).

redking
2022-07-28, 10:31 AM
Player's Handbook 1 and 2 and the Dungeon Master's Guide covers everything you need to know about 3.5E. Just do a Google search and you will be able to discover the most appropriate way to obtain them.

MagneticDragon
2022-07-28, 10:42 AM
Oh I see.

That is unfortunate. Rather understandable I must say. But unfortunate.

I guess I shall have to do my best to rely on google to find what I desire then.

Kurald Galain
2022-07-28, 11:11 AM
However. I have been incapable of finding an effective system reference document for 4th Edition.
That's because sharing the rules on the internet is legal for PF/5E/P2, legal only for a few books for 3.5, and completely illegal for 4E.

A beginner resource you can consider is https://warhorn.net/ - find an online table and play.

Is there a table of content in regards to optimisation guides for classes on this forum for when I wish to have a shot at these other classes?
For 3E and PF and 5E, this forum has you covered (here's the PF list (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?233029-PF-Optimization-Guides-Compendium)). For 4E, I'm not so sure any of that exists any more (there used to be a lot at the WOTC forums, but they wiped that years ago).

lylsyly
2022-07-28, 11:34 AM
4E never had a system reference document, 5E is a sham and 3.5 has stated only contains certain books. The most complete is the PF1 srd. At our table we use 3.5 with additions from Pathfinder 1 srd.

Good luck and good gaming!

sleepyphoenixx
2022-07-28, 11:36 AM
Is there a table of content in regards to optimisation guides for classes on this forum for when I wish to have a shot at these other classes?

Threads from the Wizards forums (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?444041-Threads-from-the-Wizards-forums) and the Handbook Index on minmaxforum.com (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=399.0) should cover most of what you need.

MagneticDragon
2022-07-28, 12:17 PM
Thank you, thank you very much. This is sure to point me to anything and everything I need!

Well. Except one thing, and I feel sheepish for not asking.

What do people do for character sheets?

JNAProductions
2022-07-28, 12:28 PM
Thank you, thank you very much. This is sure to point me to anything and everything I need!

Well. Except one thing, and I feel sheepish for not asking.

What do people do for character sheets?

I use Mythweavers (https://www.myth-weavers.com/). You do need an account, but it's free.

MagneticDragon
2022-07-28, 01:41 PM
I see! Is that what most people here use? Or are there other options?

Making a new account just to make character sheets sounds like a hassle, but if I must, I must.

Rleonardh
2022-07-28, 03:56 PM
On character sheets, in all honestly make one on notebook paper.

Or look online for printable character sheets if you really must.

There a 3.5 character sheet app that you can download and it has tabs. Can use that as reference if needed also.

If you don't have the books you will need to search for exp tables and other missing things needed.

MagneticDragon
2022-07-28, 04:55 PM
That... sounds tedious, in all honestly.

I never did like paper sheets. But I suppose it is an option.

lylsyly
2022-07-28, 06:15 PM
if you don't like paper sheets then mythweavers is probably you best option

MagneticDragon
2022-07-29, 03:06 AM
Guess I will have to look into making a new account after all then.

Benji8070
2022-07-29, 07:56 AM
I use TOS+: https:// theonlysheet.com/homepage/ (website split because I can't post links yet)

There is a small annual cost, but it is easily the best character sheet I've ever found. It comes ready loaded with all the SRD information and the forums have downloadable character classes/races/templates/feats/spells etc to use with the sheet. It also has a laptop mode if you prefer to play without physical paper sheets.

The original version covers 3.5 and PF, and there are different versions of the sheet that cover 5E and PF2