PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bracers of Intravenous Potions

Darth Credence
2022-07-28, 04:27 PM
I am working on a new magic item, and interested in some feedback. The spoiler text is the description I've made on dndbeyond:

The gnomish artificer Tatya Armbrace nearly died when she fell into a lake while wearing full armor. It took her far too long, she said later, to dig into her bags to find a potion of water breathing, and decided to do something about it.

Her solution was the bracers of intravenous potions. In order to use the bracers, the owner puts them on their wrists and attunes to them. In the process of attunement, the bracers insert needles directly into the veins of the user. Their blood then flows through the bracers themselves on the way back to their body. At that point, the user is attuned, and ready to use the bracers.

The bracers have extradimensional spaces (do not store in bags of holding), accessible from one of the four gems on each bracer. The gems are clear quartz, an inch in diameter, and firmly set in a row going from the wrist up the arm. When a gem is pressed, the section of the bracer under the gem opens, revealing the extradimensional space. Each space has enough room to pour in two potions (mixing potions is not recommended), meaning the bracers can hold a maximum of 8 potions worth of liquid. Once a potion has been introduced into the bracers, the gem changes color to match the color of the potion stored there.

The owner of the bracers can, with the use of a bonus action or reaction, touch one of the gemstones and release the potion directly into their veins. The potion takes effect immediately. When the space is empty, the gem turns back to clear.

Removing the bracers results in losing blood, quickly. The bearer will lose 10% of their hit points each round, until they receive magical healing, someone stops the bleeding by making a DC25 medicine check (advantage with a medical kit), or they die.

Notes: Wristwear

Basic idea - bracers that allow the character to store potions for future use, and then use those particular potions as a reaction or bonus action. This seems, and is intended to be, a pretty powerful effect, while still putting some limits on potions as a bonus action. They can't give it to others, and they can't do it with just any potion - it has to be one that they have intentionally put in the bracers for future use. My idea is that the two bracers are each independent items, and can be attuned together taking one slot if they somehow get both, or can be attuned individually.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them - please, if you see a problem that I have missed, let me know before I use them!