PDA

View Full Version : Character Illustrations

MythAdvocate
2007-11-28, 03:42 PM
Hello,
I will be posting some character illustrations from my home campaign. If you would like to see more of my artwork, or stories, please visit one of the following:
Website (http://www.aaronsiddall.com/)
Myspace Page (http://www.myspace.com/mythadvocate):
Blog (http://mythadvocate.blogspot.com/)

TINEN-GOROTH, THE SKULL KING
http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs22/300W/i/2007/320/2/0/The_Skull_King_by_MythAdvocate.jpg
(Half-Fiend Human Lich Wiz 20/Epic 10)
Medium Sized Undead (Extraplanar)
HD: 30d12 (210 hp)
Init: +10 (+6 Dex, Improved Initiative);
Speed: 30 ft, Fly 60ft (average)
AC: 25/29 (+6 Dex, +6 natural, +3 Bracers/ +4 Mage Armor);
Attack: +18/+13 melee, or +21/+16 ranged;
Damage: Bite 1d6+3, Claw1d10+ 3
Special Attacks: Spell-Like Abilities, Touch Attack, Fear Aura, Spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Undead, Immunities,
DR 15/good and bludgeoning, Turn Resistance +4.
Saving Throws: Fort +13, Ref +17, Will +19;
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 22, Con - , Int 27, Wis 14, Cha 15.
Skills: Appraise +28, Concentration +23, Craft (Stonemasonry) +9,
Hide +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +40, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) +27, Knowledge (Geography) +31, Knowledge (Nature) +22, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +41, Knowledge (Religion) +41, Knowledge (The Planes) +40, Listen +20, Move Silently +6, Search +28, Spellcraft +48, Spot +32;
Feats: Brew Potion, Craft Rod, Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, Enlarge Spell, Eschew Materials, Great Fortitude, Heighten Spell, Improved Initiative, Maximize Spell, Run, [Scribe Scroll], Silent Spell.
Epic Feats: Epic Spellcasting, Ignore Material Components, Permanent Emanation (Foresight).
Languages Spoken: Common, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Infernal, Orc.
Possessions: Rings (Feather Fall, Blinking, Freedom of Movement), Cloak of Major Displacement, Cube of Force, Skull Helm of Power (Pearl of Power effect), +3 Bracers of Armor.

The Skull King appears as Skull-faced monster with scabrous clawed hands. Despite the rot of his person, this lich is always well dressed.
The skull king wants to become a full-fledged god, and is worshipped as an aspect of deathless victory within his own lands of Ras-Assuhl (Persian-esq mageocracy). Towards this end he conducts elaborate arcane research and seeks to wrest control over the whole of the earth. His armies of Daemons, Hobgoblins, and Human troops are on the move. Presently, control of Dwarf Gate is of interest, though as that plan progresses, he will turn his eyes to the Southern Kingdoms.
The Skull Kings familiar, is a Larvae that was once the soul of his ancient mentor, Xaxath the Bold and now answers to Xaxath the Wretch.
Combat
The skull king rarely engages in combat himself outside of an occasional scuffle with a sacrifice victim, but prefers the “long arm” approach. The Skull King uses agents, demons, and long-range spells for most foes, often entrapping particularly interesting foes in Larvae form to be used in elaborate spellcasting.
Half-Fiend Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day-darkness, poison, unholy aura; 1/day-desecrate, unholy blight, contagion, blasphemy, horrid wilting, summon monster IX (fiends only), destruction.
Fear Aura (Su): Liches are shrouded in a dreadful aura of death and evil. Creatures of less than 5 HD in a 60-foot radius that look at the lich must succeed at a Will save (DC 17) or be affected as though by fear as cast by a 30th level sorcerer (30 rounds).
Paralyzing Touch (Su): Any living creature the lich touches must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 17) or be permanently paralyzed. Remove paralysis or any spell that can remove a curse can free the victim (see the bestow curse spell). The effect cannot be dispelled. Anyone paralyzed by a lich seems dead, though a successful Spot check (DC 20) or Heal check (DC 15) reveals that the victim is still alive. This power works in conjunction with the lich’s damaging touch (see above).
Turn Resistance (Ex): A lich has +4 turn resistance (see page 10).
Damage Reduction (Su): A lich’s undead body is tough, giving the creature damage reduction 15/+1.
Immunities (Ex): Liches are immune to cold, electricity, polymorph, and mind-affecting attacks.
Wizard Spells Known (4/7/6/5/5/5/5/4/4/4): 0th -- Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Disrupt Undead, Flare, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Resistance, Touch of Fatigue. 1st -- Alarm, Animate Rope, Chill Touch, Color Spray, Detect Secret Doors, Detect Undead, Erase, Feather Fall, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Sleep. 2nd -- Command Undead, Daze Monster, Ghoul Touch, Hypnotic Pattern, Levitate, Owl's Wisdom, Phantom Trap, Resist Energy, See Invisibility, Web. 3rd -- Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Displacement, Fireball, Greater Magic Weapon, Halt Undead, Haste, Illusory Script, Keen Edge, Lightning Bolt, Ray of Exhaustion, Suggestion. 4th -- Arcane Eye, Charm Monster, Fear, Fire Trap, Lesser Geas, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, Locate Creature, Mnemonic Enhancer, Phantasmal Killer, Secure Shelter, Solid Fog, Wall of Fire. 5th -- Baleful Polymorph, Hold Monster, Mirage Arcana, Nightmare, Secret Chest, Sending, Stone Shape. 6th -- Circle of Death, Contingency, Greater Dispel Magic, Mass Fox's Cunning, Mislead, Move Earth, Permanent Image, Stone to Flesh. 7th – Banishment, Control Undead, Delayed Blast Fireball, Ethereal Jaunt, Grasping Hand, Greater Arcane Sight, Finger of Death, Insanity, Instant Summons, Mass Invisibility, Plane Shift, Power Word Blind, Sequester, Summon Monster VII, Teleport Object. 8th -- Antipathy, Clone, Incendiary Cloud, Irresistable Dance, Iron Body, Maze, Mind Blank, Polymorph Any Object, Screen, Sunburst, Sympathy, Trap The Soul. 9th -- Crushing Hand, Energy Drain, Foresight, Gate, Mage's Disjunction, Meteor Swarm, Refuge, Shades, Soul Bind, Summon Monster IX, Teleportation Circle, Time Stop, Wail of the Banshee, Weird, Wish.

This guy is the main bad-dude in my home campaign setting. He rules a sizeable kingdom to the south-west and is looking to grind the opposition to dust. Nearly two whole parties of 7th+ level adventurers were wiped out during conflicts with his minions.

This guy is a practiced and careful baddie, strangely generous and interested in people who show initiative and intelligence. This doesnt mean he wont kill them, just that he will have some class and style about it...

Yes, yes, I know. He's 3rd Edition. When T$R converted to 3.5, I already had all of the 3E books. Im also a rules tinkerer, so I and my group already have enough house rules to not need to buy additional books.

MythAdvocate
2007-11-28, 03:43 PM
Another notable NPC:

Mother "Misery" Lovage (Night Hag Wiz 10)
http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs23/300W/i/2007/320/2/4/Mother_Lovage_by_MythAdvocate.jpg
Medium-Size Outsider (Evil)
Hit Dice: 8d8+8+10d4+10 (84 hp)
Initiative: +5 (Dex, Imp Initiative)
Speed: 20 ft.
AC: 20 (+1 Dex, +9 natural)
Attacks: Bite +17 melee or +2 unholy flail
Damage: Bite 2d6+6 and disease, or +2 unholy flail (1d8+6+2d6vs good).
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, dream haunting, Spells
Special Qualities: Immunities, SR 25, damage reduction 20/+3
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +12, Will +20 (22)
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 17, Cha 16
Skills: Alchemy +12, Bluff +22, Concentration +11, Intimidate +13, Knowledge (arcane, planes) +20, Lucid Dreaming +15, Listen +12, Ride +11, Scry +16, Sense Motive +20, Spellcraft +20, Spot +10
Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting, Mounted Combat, Scribe Scroll (B), Iron Will, Craft Wondrous Items, Craft Arms and Armor, Empower Spell, Silent Spell, Improved Initiative
Climate/Terrain: Spineharrow Forest (Dreamscape)
Challenge Rating: 19
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Advancement: 9-16 HD (Medium-size)

Misery Lovage is a reclusive night hag with a taste for the dreams of mortals. She is as nasty as they come, and will not tolerate interlopers unless they have a damn good reason for wasting her time. She had dealings with the Skull King in ages past, and is in hiding in the Dreamtime, as being undead, he does not dream.
Mother Lovage speaks Infernal, Abyssal, Draconic and Celestial.

Combat
Mother Lovage always attempts to lull foes into a sense of comfort, offering food and light conversation to gauge a visitors intent. If they interest her AND show respect, she remains friendly. If they are uninteresting or rude she sicks her pets on them while using spells to annihilate them.
Disease (Ex): Demon fever Each day thereafter, on a failed save, the creature must immediately succeed at another Fortitude save or suffer 1 point of permanent Constitution drain.
[B]Spell-Like Abilities: At will - detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect magic, magic missile, polymorph self, ray of enfeeblement, and sleep. These abilities are as the spells cast by an 8th-level sorcerer (save DC 11 + spell level). A night hag can use etherealness at will as a 16th-level sorcerer so long as it possesses its heartstone.
Dream Haunting (Su): Night hags can visit the dreams of chaotic or evil individuals by using a special periapt known as a heartstone to become ethereal, then hovering over the creature. Once the hag invades someone’s dreams, it rides on the victim’s back until dawn. The sleeper suffers from tormenting dreams and suffers 1 point of permanent Constitution drain upon awakening. A sleeper reduced to a Constitution score of 0 dies. Only another ethereal being can stop these nocturnal intrusions, by confronting and defeating the night hag.
Immunities (Ex): Night hags are immune to fire and cold, and to charm, sleep, and fear effects.
Wizard Spells Known (4/6/5/4/4/3): 0th -- Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Disrupt Undead, Flare, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Resistance. 1st -- Change Self, Color Spray, Feather Fall, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Message, Obscuring Mist, Shield, Shocking Grasp, Sleep, Spider Climb, Summon Monster I. 2nd -- Arcane Lock, Endurance, Ghoul Touch, Invisibility, Knock. 3rd -- Dispel Magic, Fly, Hold Person, Lightning Bolt, Lucid Dream, Slow. 4th -- Arcane Eye, Bestow Curse, Fire Trap, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Polymorph Other, Polymorph Self, Wall of Ice. 5th -- Cloudkill, Hold Monster, Major Creation, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound.

Mother Lovage is a quest subject in my home campaign. She has some mysterious dirt on The Skull King, and is hiding in a Dreamscape forest of horrors. The Lich isn't all that interested in her anymore, as he considers himself beyond the touch of past mistakes.

A group of Material Plane Hags serve Mother Lovage, with whom they communicate through Lucid Dreaming. These "Hags of Spineharrow" have certain regions under their command.

Past PC's in the campaign setting encountered some of these "lesser" hags. Notably "Auntie" Fortuna (Annis Hag, Sor 7), and Black Alice (Annis, Barbarian 10). Auntie Fortuna did not survive her encounter, but Black Alice did (though the PC's did not).

MrEdwardNigma
2007-11-28, 05:05 PM
I have to say, these drawings are absolutely brilliant! Awesomely done, really.
I also think the character of Mother Lovage is a very original one. The Skull King not so, but hey, every campaign needs a stereotype baddie, right?
The larva is original though :smallbiggrin:

rubakhin
2007-11-28, 07:40 PM
I like these. Kinda kinky.

hyperfreak497
2007-11-28, 10:50 PM
I like these. Kinda kinky.

Good evening to you, too, rubakhin.

Same comment as before. The lich could use epic mage armor.

MythAdvocate
2007-11-29, 03:24 AM
I have to say, these drawings are absolutely brilliant! Awesomely done, really.
I also think the character of Mother Lovage is a very original one. The Skull King not so, but hey, every campaign needs a stereotype baddie, right?
The larva is original though :smallbiggrin:

Yes, the Skull King is a classic, "mwa-ha-ha" style baddie. His uniqueness will be in his personal style. Unlike many lich's he will be very active, and likely to travel in disquise. He will have the "play with your food" way of the James Bond villain, so might even seem to be an alright guy...

MythAdvocate
2007-11-29, 01:58 PM
Below is an illustration of one Shandrilla, and her drake mount. Though the beast is indeed fierce, I have invoked the laws of fantasy color-coding. For as everyone knows- redheaded women and girlds are of indomitable spirit! :smallsmile:

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs23/i/2007/333/f/8/Red_Riding_Green_by_MythAdvocate.jpg

Still, I rather like this one. Shandrilla is a Lawful Neutral Fighter/Sorcerer (4/6), with a penchant for mercenary work, though more in the recon and scouting department. She has specialized in divination and illusion spells.

Oh, and below are the 3e stats for the mount:

Segreant Green Drake
Large Dragon
Hit Dice: 10d12+ 30 (130)
Initiative: +2 (Dex)
Speed: 30ft, fly 150 ft.(poor).
AC: 19 (-1size, +8 natural, +2 Dex)
Attacks: Bite, Claw +13/+8 melee, Tail Slap +13.
Damage: Bite 2d6+4, claw 1d8+2, wing 1d6+2, tail slap 1d8+4
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attack: Prehensile tail,
Special Qualities: Animal Terror, Keen senses, Immunities.
Saves: Fort+10, Ref+9, Will+9
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Bluff+6, Search+8, Sense Motive+7, Spot+12, Swim+14, Listen+12, Move Silently+12
Feats: Alertness, Snatch, Flyby Attack,
Climate/Terrain: Any Land
Organization: Unit (2-8 drakes with the same number of handlers).
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Standard equipment, no valuables.
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Good
Advancement: 12-14 HD (Large), 15-20 HD (Huge).

Greater drakes of all sorts are rare creatures in the wild, but several breeds exist completely within captivity, bred for war and pets. The Segreant Green is a beautiful breed of drake, and extremely useful for recon and disrupting mounted foes. This breed of drake greatly enjoys the taste of horseflesh, and is often set loose on fallen horses after a battle.
Despite its uses, the sergeant green drake is an intelligent creature (by animal standards) and can be a valuable ally and friend, though they are prickly creatures if not shown respect. They weigh in at just under two tons on average, and stand about 8-11 feet when erect.

Combat
Drakes are almost never sent into battle without a mount with whom they have been paired since birth. The two act as a team, often with the rider being learned in magic to some degree (Spellcaster lvl 3+), and supporting his/her drake ally.
Keen Senses (Ex): A Segreant Green sees four times as well a human in low-light conditions and twice as well in normal light. It also has darkvision with a range of 100 feet.
Immunities (Ex): Segreant Greens are immune to sleep and paralysis effects.
Animal Terror (Ex): The drake can unsettle animals with its mere presence whenever it attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Creatures of the animal type with fewer than 19 Hit Dice within 180 feet of the drake must succeed at a Will save (DC 20) to avoid this fear effect, and remain immune to that drake's animal terror for one day. On a failure, animals with 4 or fewer HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds.

MythAdvocate
2007-12-05, 01:08 PM
Below is a character sketch or Gerr the Troll. Later versions will be posted.

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs22/300W/f/2007/339/9/4/Gerr_The_Troll_by_MythAdvocate.jpg

I have always loved DnD style trolls. But rarely have I seen them depicted with any personality. They can talk, have a society, and some can even cast spells.

MythAdvocate
2008-03-25, 11:45 AM
Whew! Its been a while since I added to this list. I shall endeavor to post more often.
Below is yet another 3E NPC character portrait:

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs29/i/2008/085/9/b/Gertrude_Spittle_by_MythAdvocate.jpg

Gertrude Spittle (Annis Hag Druid)
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 7d8+42 + 10d8+60; (202 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved initiative)
Speed: 40 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (+1 Dex, -1 Size, +10 Natural)
Attack: 2 Claws +15/+10 melee, Bite +11/+6, or Quarterstaff +15/+10 melee.
Damage: Claw 1d6+7, bite 1d6+3, or Quarterstaff 1d6+9.
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, rend 2d6+18, spell-like abilities, Druid Spells.
Special Qualities: SR 19, steely skin,
Saving Throws: Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +17; AL NE;
Abilities: Str 28 (+9), Dex 13 (+2), Con 22 (+6), Int 16 (+3), Wis 20 (+5), Cha 12 (+1).
Skills: Animal Empathy +10, Concentration +15, Craft (Herbalism) +11, Diplomacy +5, Heal +13, Hide +7, Intuit Direction +10, Knowledge (Nature) +13, Listen +13, Lucid Dreaming +5, Profession (healer) +5, Scry +10, Spellcraft +8, Spot +10, Wilderness Lore +15.
Feats: [Alertness], , [Combat casting], Create Infusion, Plant Control, Plant Defiance, Improved initiative.
[B]Challenge Rating: 16
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Gertrude Spittle is an annis hag druid of the deep fungus forests beyond the Great Rift. She is well known in the local underdark as an excellent midwife and pox doctor, though her tendency of eating the deceased and licking her tools, leave many uncomfortable with her care.
Like many hags, Gertrude appears as an over-large, twisted old woman, though 8ft 11 inches tall, with blue skin and lank, greasy hair. Gertrude wears little apart from patchwork adventuring gear and her medicines and tools of the healers trade.
Gertrude is one of the Hags of Spineharrow, a coalition of powerful hags who consider themselves the caretakers of a region within the dreamtime. Her lair is in the middle a hidden mushroom forest full of particularly vicious myconids and a great many other plant monsters.
Gertrude speaks Abyssal, Common, Drow, Druidic, Giant, Goblin, Undercommon.

Combat
Gertrude is normally aware of trespassers early, and so usually uses spells such as entangle, flame strike, and similar spells from a distance. She will use terrain to the best of her ability and enhance her potent physical powers with contagion, flame blade or magic fang.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the annis must hit a Large or smaller creature with a claw attack.
Rend (Ex): An annis that hits with both claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d6+14 points of damage.
Tear (Ex): An annis automatically hits a held opponent with all its melee attacks each round it maintains the hold.
Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day-change self and fog cloud, as an 8th level sorcerer.
Steely Skin (Ex): The steely skin of an annis reduces damage dealt by slashing and piercing weapons by 1 point of damage per hit. Conversely, their brittle bones increase damage dealt by bludgeoning weapons by 1 point per hit. (Treat combination weapons such as morningstars as bludgeoning weapons.)
Nature Sense: Gertrude can identify plants and animals (their species and special traits) with perfect accuracy. Gertrude can determine whether water is safe to drink or dangerous.
Woodland Stride: Gertrude may move through natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain at her normal speed and without suffering damage or other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion still affect the druid.
Trackless Step: Gertrude leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked.
Resist Nature's Lure: Gertrude has a +4 bonus to saving throws against the spell-like abilities of feys.
Venom Immunity: Gertrude is immune to all organic poisons, including monster poisons but not mineral poisons or poison gas.
Wild Shape: 3/Day Gertrude can transform into a medium or large viper.
Druid Spells Per Day (6/6/5/4/4/3): 0 Level- create water, cure minor wounds, detect magic, detect poison, light, resist magic. 1st Level- animal friendship, cure light wounds, detect animals of plants, detect snares or pits, entangle, megic fang. 2nd Level- animal trance, charm person or animal, flame blade, lesser restoration, speak with animal. 3rd Level- contagion, cure moderate wounds, remove disease, speak with plants. 4th Level- control plants, cure serious wounds,flame strike, freedom of movement. 5th Level- awaken, cure critical wounds, scrying.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-25, 12:12 PM
I think you should just post the images and move the stats etc.(maybei including pictures) to Homebrew. As it really seems more like that.

MythAdvocate
2008-03-25, 12:18 PM
I was in Homebrew originally. But was advised to move it all here.

Besides, as we are all proud rpg dorks (myself included), I think having stats present adds alot.

Hoplite
2008-03-25, 12:27 PM
I love the look of that muchroom man with a sword/dagger/knife.

Sensate
2008-03-25, 12:54 PM
MythAdvocate, your paintings and character designs are astonishing! I think you can safely call yourself a professional at this point. If there was any constructive criticism I could give you, trust me, I would. But I simply like every single one of these characters and I like how you're trying to augment the personality instead of just going for the classic. Again, my compliments and a question: Has anyone beaten that lich boss in your campaign? His character chart looks impressive, I enjoyed reading it.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-25, 01:20 PM
The last(and maybe the earlier ones to) looks like it could have come right out of the MM.....

And the evil mushroom man! Awesome!

MythAdvocate
2008-03-25, 01:47 PM
Has anyone beaten that lich boss in your campaign? His character chart looks impressive, I enjoyed reading it.

Thank you both, I really appreciate your comments.

As for the Skull King: No, he is yet unbeaten. Its coming down to an epic showdown in the campaign world. The Skull King has recently become annoyed that his land forces inability to successfully invade The Free Kingdoms.

More to come...