PDA

View Full Version : DND Penguins

OOTS_Rules.
2007-11-28, 03:50 PM
Are there any stats for penguins in DND? If not, is there any homebrew material that created them?

Kyeudo
2007-11-28, 03:50 PM
Frostburn has penguins. They generaly suck in a fight, so you could substitute the stats of a flightless eagle and get the same result.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-11-28, 03:55 PM
I know, but I have plans for them. Awaken Animal + Armor + Armor Spikes + Paladin Levels = Ownage. The same thing, but with other equipment and class levels, raised by a Druid with Leadership creates a Penguin march that can be deadly. Also, what are the Penguins stats and Abilities? I don't have Frostburn. I can even make a Penguin mount with just one Enlarge Animal if they are medium. If they are small, I'll use a small creature.

Dairun Cates
2007-11-28, 04:25 PM
I know, but I have plans for them. Awaken Animal + Armor + Armor Spikes + Paladin Levels = Ownage. The same thing, but with other equipment and class levels, raised by a Druid with Leadership creates a Penguin march that can be deadly. Also, what are the Penguins stats and Abilities? I don't have Frostburn. I can even make a Penguin mount with just one Enlarge Animal if they are medium. If they are small, I'll use a small creature.

What? No shotguns ala futurama?

MCerberus
2007-11-28, 04:28 PM
What? No shotguns ala futurama?

I would be more afraid of the sniper penguin.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-11-28, 04:31 PM
Druids and D20 Modern a good combination does not make! Now, if you talk crossbows . . .

RTGoodman
2007-11-28, 04:52 PM
Also, what are the Penguins stats and Abilities? I don't have Frostburn. I can even make a Penguin mount with just one Enlarge Animal if they are medium. If they are small, I'll use a small creature.

The stats are in a non-OGL book, so you can't really post them here, but (without looking it up) I think that they're Tiny, so good luck trying to ride one.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-11-28, 05:35 PM
Hmm, I would expect them to be at least small. . . I think I am going to try to make a homebrew penguin. Does anybody have the link to the CR-generator thing Fax Celestis made?

Draz74
2007-11-28, 05:55 PM
Hmm, I would expect them to be at least small.

Take a look at some real-life pictures of penguins. Most of them are definitely Tiny or even Diminutive.

You're probably thinking of the biggest 2 or 3 species of penguins, like Emperor Penguins. Those, I could see being Small with no trouble.

kpenguin
2007-11-28, 06:00 PM
There's stats for a tiny penguin here (http://www.dmtools.org/details.php?id=225). I think there are dire penguin stats around here somewhere.

Xuincherguixe
2007-11-28, 06:03 PM
I know, but I have plans for them. Awaken Animal + Armor + Armor Spikes + Paladin Levels = Ownage.

You have been peering into my nightmares sir.

DraPrime
2007-11-28, 06:08 PM
I know, but I have plans for them. Awaken Animal + Armor + Armor Spikes + Paladin Levels = Ownage. The same thing, but with other equipment and class levels, raised by a Druid with Leadership creates a Penguin march that can be deadly.

Oh no.....

Alleine
2007-11-28, 06:12 PM
I just took a look at the frostburn penguins, and they suck! Hard!

Of course, if you wanted a medium penguin, just make it an emperor penguin. Those get pretty big, right?

daggaz
2007-11-28, 06:37 PM
Take a look at some real-life pictures of penguins. Most of them are definitely Tiny or even Diminutive.

You're probably thinking of the biggest 2 or 3 species of penguins, like Emperor Penguins. Those, I could see being Small with no trouble.

I dunno. I would say emporer's are defintitely small. Other penguins are tiny.

Id love to see a RL diminutive penguin, that would be cute.

RTGoodman
2007-11-28, 07:47 PM
Hmm, I would expect them to be at least small. . . I think I am going to try to make a homebrew penguin. Does anybody have the link to the CR-generator thing Fax Celestis made?

Well, if you still want to homebrew it, here's Fax's Guide to Homebrewing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1183222&postcount=1), which has the stat block for creatures and a link to Vorpal Tribble's guide to creating monsters. Don't know if those are what you're looking for (or if you even need them, considering the other posts), but thought I'd post 'em anyway.

Eldmor
2007-11-28, 07:51 PM
Druids and D20 Modern a good combination does not make! Now, if you talk crossbows . . .
They're called hippies. :smalltongue:

Alysar
2007-11-28, 07:53 PM
There's stats for a tiny penguin here (http://www.dmtools.org/details.php?id=225). I think there are dire penguin stats around here somewhere.

Dire Penguin

That is just begging to be made into the name of a rock band.

goat
2007-11-28, 08:38 PM
The Pseudonatural Paragon Dire Penguin? Leading an army of Pseudonatural Dire Penguins in their grand March out of the frozen south.

Everywhere they go, fish stocks are depleted, fishing fleets are destroyed and scattered groups of desperate fugitives are left to wonder "just how DO they fight so well while balancing those eggs between their feet?"

OOTS_Rules.
2007-11-28, 08:42 PM
I checked on the internet and emperor penguins are officially about Four Feet. They are pretty much the same size as dwarves in DND, so I decided to make them medium. The Emperor Penguin will recieve a homebrew page shortly.

Chronos
2007-11-28, 09:43 PM
Well, dwarves aren't the best comparison, since they're unusually broad and stocky for their height. But I'm finding their weight listed as 80-90 pounds, which is on the low end for an adult human, and well above the weight of a halfling or gnome, so yeah, medium is probably OK (though just barely). I think I would stat them out as Small, but make the first step in their advancement Medium.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-28, 09:52 PM

Oh no.....

OH YES. YOU KNOW YOU LOVE IT.

This is the third person I have found who shares my ambition of conquering the world using armored penguins armed with archaic melee weapons. I find this somewhat disturbing.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-11-28, 09:54 PM

This is the third person I have found who shares my ambition of conquering the world using armored penguins armed with archaic melee weapons. I find this somewhat disturbing.

This is why I need all of the improved Leadership feats that I can get. Mabye I will homebrew a PRC that can get you followers up to your class level minus five. . . Then my deadly penguin army shall conquer.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-28, 10:32 PM
Psah? Leadership? Take the Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm) PrC instead. Why bother with an army of penguins when you can have an army of mind-controlled penguins? Plus Thrallherd levels count twice for your Leadership score (once for character level, once as a bonus), you get two cohorts (one a level above a normal cohort), and you can sacrifice cohorts and followers with no penalty (you get replacements within twenty-four hours).

kjones
2007-11-28, 10:37 PM
I always knew this day would come. To the barricades, fellow homo sapiens! We'll not go down without a fight.

RTGoodman
2007-11-28, 11:05 PM
Well, dwarves aren't the best comparison, since they're unusually broad and stocky for their height. But I'm finding their weight listed as 80-90 pounds, which is on the low end for an adult human, and well above the weight of a halfling or gnome, so yeah, medium is probably OK (though just barely). I think I would stat them out as Small, but make the first step in their advancement Medium.

You know, there's already a mechanic for creatures that are a little too big to fit their size category, but just small enough not to be bumped up. Thus, I submit that you make...[drum-roll]

Small penguins with Powerful Build.

FinalJustice
2007-11-28, 11:11 PM
They'd make cool familiars. I love Pen² >D

daggaz
2007-11-28, 11:24 PM

what, you never saw that horrible batman movie with the penguin?

Alleine
2007-11-28, 11:45 PM
I always knew this day would come. To the barricades, fellow homo sapiens! We'll not go down without a fight.

What, fight? Good heavens no! How could you? Penguins are so adorable!
We were just going to join their side/give up!

Nermy
2007-11-28, 11:46 PM
I, for one, welcome our new penguin overlords.

daggaz
2007-11-28, 11:53 PM
I, for one, welcome our new penguin overlords.

Hail ants! Erm... penguins.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-28, 11:53 PM
Because it has to be said: Duuuuuuude!!!!

kpenguin
2007-11-29, 01:13 AM
Here we go, dire penguins:

Dire Penguin

Large Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), swim 50 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +6 natural), touch 12, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+4) and 2 Wings +4 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Echolocation, hold breath, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +13
Feats: Power Attack, Multiattack
Environment: Cold Aquatic
Organization: Solitary, pair, or flock (1-3 Dire Penguins and 4-8 Penguins)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 5-9 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: –

Bigger, meaner cousins of penguins, Dire Penguins are vicious arctic predators. Unlike the cute, waddling penguins, Dire Penguins are sleek and angular, clearly predators. They are said to look almost more like a velociraptor than a bird. Dire Penguins are easily angered and almost always hungry, and they will attack almost any non-penguin they can see without provocation. A Dire Penguin can be summoned with a summon nature's ally II spell, while a Celestial or Fiendish Dire Penguin can be summoned with summon monster III. A 4th level or higher Druid may take a Dire Penguin as an animal companion with a -3 adjustment to his effective druid level.

Echolocation (Ex)
Dire Penguins, like whales and dolphins, can navigate through water via echolocation. While its head is immersed in water, it gains blindsight out to 40 ft., though it can only use it to perceive creatures within the water. This ability does not work in an area of magical silence.

Hold Breath (Ex)
A Dire Penguin can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 6 times its Con score before it risks drowning.

Skills
A Dire Penguin has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

I knew it was on the homebrew boards here somewhere. If you're reading this, good job Demented One. Those penguins are totally bad-ass.

kjones
2007-11-29, 08:43 AM
It gets Wing/Wing/Bite? I'm having a hard time picturing that...