PDA

View Full Version : List of things you can use Cutting Words for?

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-07-29, 05:51 PM
It was only a couple days ago I learned you could use Cutting Words against an enemy's initiative roll. Maybe I've been playing too many board games but is there a list available for things you can use Cutting Words for/against?

claypigeons
2022-07-29, 06:29 PM
It works on anything that counts as an Attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll.

So the ability check to counterspell a higher level spell is an oft forgotten use.

If your table rolls magic missile 1 time, Cutting Words can be hilarious.

Generally you'll get the most mileage out of using it against attack rolls, especially if the enemy has just one or two big attacks. Conferring disadvantage (via silvery barbs) doesn't mean much if it has +15 to attack. But giving it a -1d10 or -1d12 could actually make it miss more often.

lall
2022-07-29, 07:52 PM
It’s a reaction, so can’t be used to lower initiative if surprised.

When I’m asked to make a charisma check of some sort, I usually won’t know if the check is opposed or if the DM has a DC in mind. So I’ll state that I’m using CW if the roll is opposed. Not so much if my bard is trying to get an entire crowd to enjoy his performance, but definitely if the audience is one in another setting.

sambojin
2022-07-29, 08:27 PM
Also remember that plenty of wildshape forms or conjures or polymorphs make the enemy take ability checks to get-out-of-being-grappled-restrained. Things like a Giant Constrictor Snake's/ Giant Octopuses restrain-on-hit can keep a victim restrained very reliably for multiple rounds alongside cutting words.

A lot of that sort of stuff are saves, not ability checks, normally. But grapple (+restrain) checks is always cutting words'able, no matter the source, when it's physically based rather than done by spells. Gets very scary alongside the Hex spell, and a druid with Athletics proficiency. Or any sort of flying, or a martial grappler PC.

Chronos
2022-07-30, 06:41 AM
A druid with athletics proficiency usually isn't relevant, because usually when a druid is grappling, it's via a wildshape form that has auto-grapple like the giant scorpion. For a giant scorpion's style of grappling, the scorpion never actually rolls a check.

It is useful if you're just in the form of some generic big bruiser like an earth elemental, though.

LudicSavant
2022-07-30, 07:52 AM
It was only a couple days ago I learned you could use Cutting Words against an enemy's initiative roll. Maybe I've been playing too many board games but is there a list available for things you can use Cutting Words for/against?

It can be used against any ability check, attack roll, or damage roll.

Some notable cases: Damage Rolls
- Effects that can hit multiple targets simultaneously use one damage roll for all targets. If you Cutting Words the damage roll, you cut it for everyone in an AoE, offering a party contribution similar in scope to a Mass Healing Word. You can even considerably weaken a Nuclear Wizard's Magic Missile.

- Cutting a damage roll does more than just save HP, it also can preserve effects like Armor of Agathys for extra hits, or lower the DC of Concentration checks.

Some notable cases: Ability Checks
- Dropping an enemy's initiative can be incredibly valuable. If you switch them from 'beating the party's initiative' to 'behind the party's initiative,' congratulations, they just lost an entire turn with no save. Yes, it's that good.

- You can use Cutting Words on dispel and counterspell checks, essentially getting back a spell slot that otherwise would have gone kaput.

- You can cut Athletics checks to make it easy to grapple/shove people. Who needs Strength when you have wit?

- Some spells use ability checks instead of saving throws, such as Telekinesis or folks trying to break out of Wrathful Smite. You can Cutting Words any such attempts!

- Stacks with a Warlock's Hex penalty to ability checks, too, which can make attempts to break free of grapples and certain spells just doomed to fail basically forever.

Some notable cases: Attack Rolls
- This works pretty much exactly like you expect it to and it's great value against foes with strong individual attacks. Particularly since you alter the roll after a roll is made.

- Try grabbing the Moderately Armored half-feat (or a 1-level multiclass dip) to stack with this. It's not quite armor+shield+Shield, but it's the next best thing and quite spammable.

Angelalex242
2022-07-31, 10:58 AM
It's always amusing to hear the bard yell, "You suck" at monsters, people, and all sorts of things, and it WORKS! They do suck!

RogueJK
2022-07-31, 11:33 AM
- Some spells use ability checks instead of saving throws, such as Telekinesis or folks trying to break out of Wrathful Smite. You can Cutting Words any such attempts!

See also Entangle, Web, and Ensnaring Strike.

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-07-31, 06:03 PM
Thank u all for the tips. Its all about knowing your character's abilities!

LudicSavant
2022-07-31, 06:42 PM
Its all about knowing your character's abilities!

Indeed. Would that more people had this attitude; how you use your abilities is even more impactful than your choice of build.

KorvinStarmast
2022-08-04, 10:26 AM
Indeed. Would that more people had this attitude; how you use your abilities is even more impactful than your choice of build. Ain't that the truth?