PDA

View Full Version : Optimization level 20 warforged tank help

sxpaiscia
2022-07-30, 04:11 AM
hello! i have to create a lvl20 character for a one shot, with 3 magical items (the dm did not ask for the rarity, but he will veto them if they are too op), 30 points to buy for stats (we use an additional one for "mental sanity" but i can kinda dump it ahah).
and all manuals are fine.

it's my first time creating a pg with such hight level so i'm kinda overwelmed by all the possible choices... i wanted to play for sure a warforged with lots of AC. i'm more interested in taking damage and supporting than in doing the damage.

i was thinking of multiclass cleric (forge) mixed with artificer(armorer maybe), something like cleric8/artificer12. could it work or not be good enough? i know for sure i will have to keep up with a lvl20 moon druid my friend will bring and that is already OP ahah. i would prefer to keep this 2 classes because i like playing clerics and artificer has always interested me but i never got much chance to try it :). i know i will nto be able to cast much this way, but still have nice things from the forge domain and the possible infusions...

any help, advice, suggestion would be nice thanks :)

Mastikator
2022-07-30, 04:31 AM
Some disconnected thoughts.

Consider War Wizard 2 for Arcane Deflection if you're multiclassing.

Consider Fighter 2 for Defensive fighting style and action surge (a little bit of nova, OR casting two leveled spells on the same turn).

If you get Fighter 2 then Armorer may be really worth considering, you could hit up to 5 different targets with thunder gauntlets if you combine haste with action surge. If you also get 1 or 2 levels of War Wizard you could cast Shield to boost your AC when the enemies inevitably attack you.

Ring of Protection stacks with Cloak of Protection.

A pure artificer 20 gets up to +6 to all saves from their capstone. If two of those are cloak and ring you'd have a +8 base to all saves. IMO a forge cleric gives you nothing that an artificer can't do. I strongly recommend not multiclassing artificer, the capstone is really good.

Battlesmith is IMO the most supportive subclass. Don't think of the steel defender as a great tank though, but if it goes down it's only a 1st level spell slot to bring back, and if not then mending is free.

Both battlesmith and artillerist weaponize their bonus action so feats like PAM and XBM are mostly wasted.

Unless you get Sharpshooter a returning javelin + shield is better than a repeating hand crossbow + shield. If you DO get sharpshooter then it would be worth casting Haste on yourself for a total of 3 attacks (+ Steel Defender or Eldritch Cannon)

Damon_Tor
2022-07-30, 05:05 AM
Some disconnected thoughts.

Consider War Wizard 2 for Arcane Deflection if you're multiclassing.

Consider Fighter 2 for Defensive fighting style and action surge (a little bit of nova, OR casting two leveled spells on the same turn).

If you get Fighter 2 then Armorer may be really worth considering, you could hit up to 5 different targets with thunder gauntlets if you combine haste with action surge. If you also get 1 or 2 levels of War Wizard you could cast Shield to boost your AC when the enemies inevitably attack you.

Ring of Protection stacks with Cloak of Protection.

A pure artificer 20 gets up to +6 to all saves from their capstone. If two of those are cloak and ring you'd have a +8 base to all saves. IMO a forge cleric gives you nothing that an artificer can't do. I strongly recommend not multiclassing artificer, the capstone is really good.

Battlesmith is IMO the most supportive subclass. Don't think of the steel defender as a great tank though, but if it goes down it's only a 1st level spell slot to bring back, and if not then mending is free.

Both battlesmith and artillerist weaponize their bonus action so feats like PAM and XBM are mostly wasted.

Unless you get Sharpshooter a returning javelin + shield is better than a repeating hand crossbow + shield. If you DO get sharpshooter then it would be worth casting Haste on yourself for a total of 3 attacks (+ Steel Defender or Eldritch Cannon)

At some point you'll want to start using your bonus actions for Magic Stone to equip the Tiny Servants built into a TSAR rather than your Steel Defender, though its reaction is still pretty great. I really like a Gnome Battlesmith mounted on the Defender. The Saddle of the Cavalier prevents you from being separated (depending on how literally your DM reads the item, it probably even prevents you from being teleported apart from each other) and the Mounted Combatant feat makes it very hard to attack the Defender directly. Then load your SSI with Warding Bond and have the Defender cast it on you every fight. Bam, resistance to all damage, +1 AC, +1 to all Saves. Extra points if you decide your Defender looks like a little mech. Infuse yourself both a Ring of Protection and a Cloak of Protection, bam, another +2 to AC and saves.

animorte
2022-07-30, 05:40 AM
How often do you get the chance to hop straight to a wicked good capstone? Watchers Paladin all the way!

The party gets a sweet initiative bonus, valuable Int/Wis/Cha saves, truesight for you, and a banishment ability. You could also have Defense fighting style and perhaps Shield Master.

stoutstien
2022-07-30, 05:56 AM
I'd vote for a solo class artificer. Either battlesmith or artillerist depending on your party. Both can get high 20s/low 30s in AC, some of the best saves in the game, the mobility to make the most of it, and a pile of party support for good measure.

Key notes- at his level you can bypass restrictions on magic items. So stuff like staff of power, certain magical spell books, and combining stuff like the metamagic feat and magic items that are usually reserved for sorcerers are fair game.
This means depending on your DMs leniency you have silly high spell save/attack modifiers with stuff like(pick any two) staff of power, all purpose tool, staff of wood land, war wand, rod of absorption, ...you get the point. Then you can go shopping for none held items like amulet of devout.
You can even safely use the risky options that have saves attached thank you to FoG+ floating +6 on top of your native ST value. You can do weird stuff like spam amulet of planes safely to just spam PS.

A lot of people are under the impression that games with lots of magic items devalues infusions but in reality its the opposite. The less holes you need to fill the deeper into your portfolio you can delve. Hard to justify a pipe of haunting if your party's meathead is lacking a magic stick.

They aren't broken tier but they are in the shenanigans category.

Mastikator
2022-07-30, 08:29 AM
At some point you'll want to start using your bonus actions for Magic Stone to equip the Tiny Servants built into a TSAR rather than your Steel Defender, though its reaction is still pretty great. I really like a Gnome Battlesmith mounted on the Defender. The Saddle of the Cavalier prevents you from being separated (depending on how literally your DM reads the item, it probably even prevents you from being teleported apart from each other) and the Mounted Combatant feat makes it very hard to attack the Defender directly. Then load your SSI with Warding Bond and have the Defender cast it on you every fight. Bam, resistance to all damage, +1 AC, +1 to all Saves. Extra points if you decide your Defender looks like a little mech. Infuse yourself both a Ring of Protection and a Cloak of Protection, bam, another +2 to AC and saves.

I've found that the defender is good enough at grappling/shoving to make those worthwhile options for your bonus action. Especially if you have fewer enemies.

On SSI I think invisibility might be the strongest option, since each member can cast it on themselves and then hand over the item to the next person.

Definitely agree on cloak and ring of protection for yourself since they also add to the capstone.

A enhanced defense half plate and radiant shield, ring, cloak gets you ac 24. You also got shield on battlesmith.

The steel defender dies easily but IMO it's not a problem really, it's a measly 1st level spell slot and 1 action to revive to full.
Attacks aimed at the steel defender are attacks not aimed at other members. That's tanking.

stoutstien
2022-07-30, 10:54 AM
I've found that the defender is good enough at grappling/shoving to make those worthwhile options for your bonus action. Especially if you have fewer enemies.

On SSI I think invisibility might be the strongest option, since each member can cast it on themselves and then hand over the item to the next person.

Definitely agree on cloak and ring of protection for yourself since they also add to the capstone.

A enhanced defense half plate and radiant shield, ring, cloak gets you ac 24. You also got shield on battlesmith.

The steel defender dies easily but IMO it's not a problem really, it's a measly 1st level spell slot and 1 action to revive to full.
Attacks aimed at the steel defender are attacks not aimed at other members. That's tanking.

I'd ask DM about death ST for SD. Those go a long way for staying power for them as sponges.

sxpaiscia
2022-07-30, 06:21 PM
thanks you all for all this answers ^^ you all really helped me out!

i think i will go for a warforged battlesmith artificer 18 and maybe fighter 2 just for the defensive style and action surge, getting that nice infusions for cloak and ring of protection :D , i'm not a fan of ranged attacks so i dont really enjoy the artillery subclass. would sentinel be a good trait to have to combine it with the steel defender if we fight close to eachother? what other traits could be useful still as a support playstyle?

also because i'm a warforged does the "repair" ability of the defender be able to heal me too? it says a "costruct" so I should be considered as one?

suggestion for the three magic items the dm let me have at creation?

Urbanmech
2022-07-30, 07:10 PM
If you can get the Artificer capstone you should. It far out weighs the benefits of two fighter levels. +6 on all saving throws and 6 potential death wards is super valuable at 20th level.

For items: Staff of Power gives you more AC, Saves, Spell, Attack and Damage in addition to tons of other spells. Cloak of Displacement to further frustrate foes from hitting you in melee. If legendary items are available there are lots to choose from: Holy Avenger, Rod of Lordly Might, Staff of the Magi.

Damon_Tor
2022-07-30, 09:01 PM
If you can get the Artificer capstone you should. It far out weighs the benefits of two fighter levels. +6 on all saving throws and 6 potential death wards is super valuable at 20th level.

For items: Staff of Power gives you more AC, Saves, Spell, Attack and Damage in addition to tons of other spells. Cloak of Displacement to further frustrate foes from hitting you in melee. If legendary items are available there are lots to choose from: Holy Avenger, Rod of Lordly Might, Staff of the Magi.

This, absolutely. The artificer has one of the best capstone's in the game.

Interestingly, as a Warforged you have an interesting opportunity in that regard: the warfored-only item "wand sheathe" is an attuned item, but both it and the wand you attach to it can share the same attunement slot. This means that if you have one in each arm that's +2 to each save, above and beyond what other artificers can manage.

You seemed concerned about whether or not you can out-tank the moon druid. Well he has infinite hitpoints only so long as he can use his actions/bonus actions to wildshape, meaning his weakness is control spells. You, however, are the SAVE MASTER. Spells don't bother you at all. Paladins? Monks? Your saves are higher. And your AC is baller too.

stoutstien
2022-07-31, 05:19 AM
Unless it's a super meat grinder one shot I'd look for fun combos for magic items instead of raw power. You can do something like the metamagic adept+ *pick one* shard. Fun combos that are new and entertaining.

if you go battle smith there a certain instrument that allows mending as an action (lyre of building) it also allows you to give your cannon limited immunity as a reaction if you are a artillerist. Nice bonus spell to boot.

CTurbo
2022-07-31, 11:44 AM
Just because it hasn't been said yet, why not make a level 20 Forge Cleric? You get Fire immunity and auto succeeding Divine Intervention. High level Cleric spells have been considered boring, but they're strong.

sxpaiscia
2022-07-31, 05:45 PM

thanks! yeah that seems the right decision ^^'' are death wards with the infusions that useful at such lvls?
staff of power looks amazing! i will ask for it :D

This, absolutely. The artificer has one of the best capstone's in the game.

Interestingly, as a Warforged you have an interesting opportunity in that regard: the warfored-only item "wand sheathe" is an attuned item, but both it and the wand you attach to it can share the same attunement slot. This means that if you have one in each arm that's +2 to each save, above and beyond what other artificers can manage.

You seemed concerned about whether or not you can out-tank the moon druid. Well he has infinite hitpoints only so long as he can use his actions/bonus actions to wildshape, meaning his weakness is control spells. You, however, are the SAVE MASTER. Spells don't bother you at all. Paladins? Monks? Your saves are higher. And your AC is baller too.

that looks like a really cute magic item, so it works as if u have 2 more items attuned to you? to reach +8? also what wands could i get?

Just because it hasn't been said yet, why not make a level 20 Forge Cleric? You get Fire immunity and auto succeeding Divine Intervention. High level Cleric spells have been considered boring, but they're strong.

it seems like the artificer for now is a bit more fun to play even if i love clerics ^^ time to try something new

Damon_Tor
2022-07-31, 07:24 PM
that looks like a really cute magic item, so it works as if u have 2 more items attuned to you? to reach +8? also what wands could i get?

Talk to your DM, but yes, you would have 8 items attuned to you, so +8 to all saves from your capstone.

As for what wand to use with it: an extended wand counts as being held but it doesn't take up a free hand, so you could use an Enhanced Arcane focus in one one sheathe (+2 to spell attack rolls) a Wand of War Mage in the other (+3 to spell attack rolls) and still have both hands free for your shield and/or weapons. That said, the Wand of Viscid Globs from Out of the Abyss is quite strong: 7 charges of a 1-hour duration restrain effect based on an attack roll (not a save) is really very, very good.

Phhase
2022-08-01, 07:19 PM
Straight Zealot barbarian. Juice your str, dex, and con to as close to 20 as you can, so the barbarian capstone can take you to 24. You will rarely if ever fail strength or con saves, and only fail dex saves slightly more, and will have an AC in the 20s with a sheild. Persistent rage and infinite rages at level 20 means you can always be raging, and Zealot barbarian is actually literally impossible to kill while raging. And being Warforged means that the Sleep spell, one of the only for-sure ways of shutting down a Zealot Barbarian, no longer works (warforged are immune to sleep). The literal only things that can kill you are mind control effects to force you to stop raging, and if you can find a way (maybe an allied wizard or an item) to get some psychic sheilding (ideally Mind Blank), congratulations, you're immortal.