PDA

View Full Version : deleted

Robertus
2022-07-30, 08:00 AM
deleted deleted

Alcore
2022-07-30, 09:44 AM
The link leads to an out-of-date srd it does organize by book. If only the "modern" rescources were so good. :smallannoyed:

http://legacy.aonprd.com/

Obviously you'll want...

core rulebook
Advanced players guide
Advanced race guide
Bestiary 1

But I would also recommend "game mastery guide" (what you get in the srd is only a small fraction. If you are a world builder the material within the actual book will help shore up any missing or neglected elements). We have the ultimate lineup with combat and magic and campaign steering the game towards its own tone. All four* books really help out fleshing out the world with mechanics and non combat material.

I know many players balk at not having the entire archive to pick from but if you have a focused game in mind trim the branches off.

* technically five with ultimate intrigue. If you plan to engage in noble courts and kingdoms i recommend that over the kingdom building in Campaign.

Palanan
2022-07-30, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Robertus
Especially the Agents of Edgewatch AP looks interesting. Which books would I need to run Pathfinder Adventure Paths?

Originally Posted by Alcore
The link leads to an out-of-date srd [but?] it does organize by book.

Be aware that Agents of Edgewatch is Pathfinder Second Edition, but the link provided by Alcore is to First Edition material. You’ll need to decide which edition to work with.

I prefer First Edition myself, and there are plenty of good APs to choose from, especially Kingmaker and Crownfall. For books, you can start with the Core Rulebook, Advanced Race Guide and Advanced Player’s Guide, and expand into Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Combat and Ultimate Intrigue.

I personally wouldn’t consider the Gamemastery Guide as a must-have, but up to you.

Alcore
2022-07-30, 12:46 PM
Edition was never said nor asked... can't say the AP name even rings any bells; I kinda stopped caring around Iron Gods. :smallredface:

I will admit that actually running doesn't need game mastery guide. It more of helping out with prepwork. Codified villages/settlements certainly helps keeps things fast as one only needs to glance at a specific settlement statblock to know what's what.

Though I would like to point out I only declared four books as "must have" in my short list.

Kurald Galain
2022-07-30, 01:25 PM
Which books would I need to run Pathfinder Adventure Paths?
What you need is the Core Rulebook, as well as some kind of Bestiary (which bestiary exactly, that depends on the AP; if unsure, go for the first one).

What I highly recommend is the Advanced Player's Guide, because it has Archetypes. And Archetypes are a large part of what makes Pathfinder tick, and also what allows players to get a wide variety of character builds working at level one.

Add other books to taste, really. I'm a fan of Ultimate Magic because it contains the Magus gish class.

Robertus
2022-07-31, 05:20 AM
deleted deleted

Kurald Galain
2022-07-31, 05:30 AM
Did I get everything right?
Yes. Also, since first and second edition of Pathfinder have very different designs and philosophies, you may want to ask yourself what, specifically, you're looking for in an RPG and whether the game you select matches up with that.

Or in brief, if you think one of them sucks, try the other one.