PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Alchemical Buffs

MagneticDragon
2022-07-30, 11:38 AM
I am hoping to play a game where homebrew is allowed, and I am looking at playing the Tall Tale class (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?326799-Tall-Tale-(3-5-Base-Class-Contest-Winner-PEACH)), picking up the Craft (Alchemy) class feature. As part of this ability, it says the following:

Any bonuses or damage dealt by alchemical items you use are doubled, as are any durations

I have a strong knowledge of the types of items that will have their damage doubled. On top of another homebrew being allowed that, at later levels, will allow me to craft stronger alchemical weapons. However. That is just the damage portion of the ability.

What alchemical items should I consider looking into in order to act as potent buffs?

ViperMagnum357
2022-07-30, 12:48 PM
Luhix and Terran Brandy from the Book of Vile Darkness should top the list. An alchemical bonus to all ability scores and effective caster level for reasonable durations are pretty awesome, as long as you are ready to offset the immediate ability damage.

MagneticDragon
2022-07-30, 12:57 PM
Powerful, but I am doubtful they will be all that useful. Between the ability damage, the high addiction, and the danger of overdosing, I am rather unsure that they are worth the pay off sadly.

They do seem like something interesting to potentially build around, but I rather doubt the investment is worth the benefit.

zlefin
2022-07-30, 02:36 PM
I dunno about 'potent' buffs, but there's some useful situational buffs. Like the core antitoxin, which can give +5 vs poison for an hour. Doubled to plus 10 it'd be handy if you know you're facing a foe with poison or if you've already been poisoned and need to protect vs the secondary effect

MagneticDragon
2022-07-30, 03:08 PM
That's true enough. Do you have any further suggestions for situational but still useful buffs?

And Shax's Haversack also covers the Drugs, something I had not realised before.

It seems the most accessible drugs to use are those that increase Strength. Not the best choice for me, but making them for allies to down does not seem like the worst idea.