PDA

View Full Version : DM Help DMs who don't also host -- how do you carry your stuff?

PhoenixPhyre
2022-07-30, 04:49 PM
I've hosted most of the time I've played. Or played at a place where the stuff could be stored in situ. But looks like I'll be traveling regularly for an in person game. Not super far, but far enough. And so I'm putting some thought into how I put together a "car kit".

In this case, I'm looking to carry
* a few books (not the whole collection, but a couple of them)
* enough minis for the PCs
* some boxes of spell and monster cards (they dramatically simplify life, especially for new players)
* Dice
* a chessex mat. If this doesn't fit, that's fine.

Currently, I have the top to a rolling tool box. It mostly works. But only mostly.

Anyone have a great solution they use?

RazorChain
2022-07-30, 05:13 PM
No books, I've gone completely digital.
Skinny minis cause they take less space.
Chessex battlemap and large square sheets rolled up in large "scroll case"

truemane
2022-07-30, 05:26 PM
Same as RazorChain. I only every bring a PHB these days, and that's mostly because having an extra at a table is often useful. Other than that, I'm 100% digital.

I only ever use paper/cut-out token for minis. I use a lot of the Giant's Monster for Every Season tokens, actually. Aside from being fun and interesting, they mark a nice sharp contrast between the PC's and the bad guys when looking at the map.

I mostly use the Loke Battlemats. They're a lot all in one pile, but if I'm playing an away game. I can usually get all the maps I'll need from one or two of them.

Plus a blank grid map and dry erase markers. That's all I need.

I've been investigating the feasibility of using a palmtop projector for maps. If I can figure out a way to make that work, I can dispense with physical maps (and possibly enemy minis) altogether, as well as increase my options and reduce my load.

Eldan
2022-07-30, 06:04 PM
I mean, personally, I just don't... carry stuff. Dice, I quite often borrow from the host, we have extensive collections. If not, a few dice fit into a coat pocket quite well. Apart from that, 90% of the time, I carry a small notebook and that's it. Occasionally, if it's a system I don't know too well, one book, pretty much never more than that. Haven't used minis or battlemaps in at least ten years.

animorte
2022-07-30, 06:17 PM
I actually use MtG: Arena of the Planeswalkers (including expansions) in one box for hex grid, tons of minis, terrain options, etc. Some players carry their own dice and personal minis. But I have a book bag in which I keep the core books, dm screen, a few sets of dice, 2 pop up dice trays (love it), character sheets, pens/pencils, campaign details, and extra paper. I’m sure I’ve forgotten to list something.

Brookshw
2022-07-30, 07:27 PM
I usually bring:

Core books and any extras necessary to what I'm running (usually Tome of Beasts or other Kobold Press MMs)
Minis, possibly in an old foam case I used for Warhammer if painted, possibly tossed in a small box if not
If the host doesn't have them, a few rolled up dry erase maps
If the host has a Keurig (sp?), my coffee of choice.

Usually it comes out to a backpack, the mini case, and the rolled up mats, easy enough for the car.

olskool
2022-07-30, 10:21 PM
I've hosted most of the time I've played. Or played at a place where the stuff could be stored in situ. But looks like I'll be traveling regularly for an in person game. Not super far, but far enough. And so I'm putting some thought into how I put together a "car kit".

In this case, I'm looking to carry
* a few books (not the whole collection, but a couple of them)
* enough minis for the PCs
* some boxes of spell and monster cards (they dramatically simplify life, especially for new players)
* Dice
* a chessex mat. If this doesn't fit, that's fine.

Currently, I have the top to a rolling tool box. It mostly works. But only mostly.

Anyone have a great solution they use?

I run a LARGE soft-sided duffle bag with the pull-out handle (like rolling luggage), wheels/castors, and a shoulder strap. My bag is 30" long by 18" wide and the handle collapses underneath the base. It has both end pockets and side pockets and I bought it at a local discount store for $20. WALMART and BIG LOTS both carry such bags and they can be multi-purpose/use.

LecternOfJasper
2022-07-30, 10:37 PM
Minis and dice fit in a sewing/thread/organizer box of that sort pretty well. I use that, and shove it in a backpack with my books. I have a separate carrying case for the mat if needed. Non-important creatures get to be those little glass rocks (or larger chunks of debris if needed). Easy to walk with, fits in most cars.

Mastikator
2022-07-31, 02:54 AM
If I'm DMing at someone else's place then I just put my computer in my backpack.
I always put my campaign in digital format and just run it from my computer.

I usually bring my backpack anyway since it's easy to bring miniatures and dice that way, and also snackos.

For source material I'm 100% digital, easier to share with players that way.

OldTrees1
2022-07-31, 04:49 AM
It depends on what I am bringing that day.

I can carry a couple books, my dice bag, and a map tube.

For more, I can use a backpack.

If for some reason it is session 0 and I decided to bring 50 books, I can use a plastic tub. I can carry that in 2 hands and it is good exercise. However online reference support has improved, so I doubt this would ever happen again.

@PhoenixPhyre, for your gear, I recommend a backpack with a waterbottle pocket. Replace the waterbottle with your map and you should be good to go.

Yora
2022-07-31, 05:45 AM
I just put it in my backpack if I'm on a bike. A rulebook, a folder with notes, and a small bag of dice isn't any more than what I always carried around at university.

KorvinStarmast
2022-07-31, 11:37 AM
I used to bring a Boy Scout Yucca Pack (that I had bought in 1970, it still exists) to carry most of my stuff. A few bags of dice, a couple of hardware boxes with sliding drawers with various figs in it, books, and the battle map plus a pack of six water soluble markers. Jam in the DM's notebook and the DMs screen and I was ready to go. As time went on, I added a single plastic file folder with books and other stuff in it. Yucca pack on my back, file folder box in my hand, and I had all that I needed (to include the pad of Engineering Paper (green, with a grid on one side) used for sketches and maps as needed.

In the flap pocket I always had a half dozen mechanical pencils and a few rubber erasers; not sure if people need them, but we did back then before electricity was invented. :smallbiggrin:

I'll send you pix in the discord channel.

When I brought the dungeon with me, the rules of engagement were:
1) Whatever beer I liked needed to be brought by someone else (but you don't drink, so you don't need to worry about that).
2) When I said I'd be there at 7 to set up and we'd start play by 7:30, I lived up to it. DM was never late.
3) Offerings of Pizza were occasionally eligible for a discretionary re-roll at one of the tables that I DM'd for. :smallbiggrin:
4) The option to crash on the couch/floor was usually extended by the host in case the beer offerings were overly bountiful. Again, you don't need to worry about that. :smallsmile: I usually had a sleeping bag in the trunk of the car in case that is how the evening went. (Friends don't let DM's drive drunk, since if the DM dies there's no game.)

Black Jester
2022-07-31, 01:02 PM
Easy. I just ignore the encumbrance rules.

Jokes aside, I Just need the rule book, the campaign journal, a folder for maps, NPC portraits and handouts, and perhaps a small speaker If the Host hasn't one for soundtrack and ambiente. I haven't run a game requiring minis in this century, I don't tolerate Amy devices at the gaming table, which would mae it too hypocritical to bring my laptop, so that's it.

Also, a tablet with cinammon buns or börek or something like that, because game night without pastries is just sad.

Algeh
2022-07-31, 07:18 PM
I haven't dealt with this in a while, but back when I did I used to use a portable file box (like this one (https://www.target.com/p/iris-portable-file-storage-box/-/A-51956587)) with hanging files in it. At the time, I was generally running 3rd edition GURPS (like I said, it was a while back) and the books were softcovers that easily fit one each into hanging files. I'd carry the few most useful books, and then my various maps, notes, and character sheets in the other hanging files. (I'd have each of my players keep all of their PC's stuff in their own specific folder, so I'd be bringing their character folders with me as well.)

You can store a little bit of stuff in the top for dice, but if you're running a mini-heavy game you'd need a different case for the minis. (Fishing, sewing, or jewelry boxes were popular for minis or dice collections back when I was doing this depending on size and what people had handy. Some jewelry boxes even have a lift-out tray with an open section underneath that makes for a good place to roll dice.)

Also, if you decide to go the backpack route and want to carry a bunch of rolled maps, consider looking at baseball-specific backpacks. The bat holders can be really convenient for holding large rolled maps.

Vykryl
2022-07-31, 07:47 PM
Train you players better ;) My wife and I bring the books, dice, food. Another player brings drinks. Our DM brings her screen and game notes in a binder

Duff
2022-07-31, 11:46 PM
In a bag.

That's really all their is to it. Back in those days I was young and fit and fairly big. It helped that the game I was running only needed a couple of books and a clipboard for the monster's stats for the fights that might occur that week. And that it was a homebrewed world that I carried in my head.

But my advise is, if you want to run a game that you don't host:
Try to pick a game that only needs a few books. Maybe that's because the game itself only has a few, maybe by having books/info available on line, maybe you cut down on options. "You can only characters from flatland, so I don't have to bring the other lands every session"

Pauly
2022-08-01, 12:57 AM
Large fly fishing tackle box for minis and scenery items (tables, chairs, bookcases, etc.). I find tackle boxes better than toolboxes because they have more compartments. Toolboxes are better for moving wargaming minis because you want to keep them in large units.

Backpack for
- tablet which has rules and campaign setting.
- Folder for character sheets. I collect the character sheets and update them between sessions to help the players keep the character sheets readable. I send the player a photo of the old character sheet and ted version. It just annoys me when players can’t keep track of what is or isn’t on the CS because they’ve added and crossed out so much stuff on it.
- Folder for player hand outs, NPC and monster stats.
NB the 2 folders become the GM screen in play.
- Vinyl dry erase map sheets with pre printed hex grid.

Bunny Commando
2022-08-01, 02:24 AM
As others have said, going full digital helps immensely.
I do not use any miniatures, I use paper tokens with an epoxy sticker glued to them to make them sturdier (and also quite useful to run non-fantasy games).
Even though I find exceedingly difficult to let go of the joy of rolling dice, I use at times a dice roller app when there are numerous enemies to speed things up.

animorte
2022-08-01, 05:40 AM
I collect the character sheets and update them between sessions to help the players keep the character sheets readable. I send the player a photo of the old character sheet and ted version. It just annoys me when players can’t keep track of what is or isn’t on the CS because they’ve added and crossed out so much stuff on it.
This would absolutely drive me bonkers because I’m actually good at keeping my character sheet organized. But I get where you’re coming from.

The only reason I have for no going digital is some people use it as an excuse just to play with their phones. Though I do keep a picture/screenshot of everybody’s character sheet and class/subclass for reference.

Encouraging people to have the spell cards is actually quite helpful as well.

Vahnavoi
2022-08-01, 06:59 AM
Depends on how many different kinds of games I'm expecting to run.

My main campaign materials I keep sorted in a briefcase. This briefcase contains:

- a boxed set of the rules I use
- additional copy of player's handbook
- a full set of colored pens
- two 30 cm rulers
- a pocket calculator
- a pencil case, containing pens and pencils in one pocket and dice, erasers and sharpeners in the other
- two stacks of empty A4 grid paper
- a box of 36 cube dice
- a box of red plastic beads
- a box of clear plastic beads
- 1 to 4 folders for empty character sheets, filled character sheets, maps and player notes
- a number of campaign leaflets / handouts
- 1 to 3 extra modules just in case

It helps the system I've been using has reasonably sized books.

If I'm feeling ambituous, I may supplement this with a cloth grocery bag's worth of more module books and a literal bucketful of assorted Legos to use as miniatures. I have hiking backpacks that can also swallow that stuff, or I can swap the Legos for a laptop computer, keyboard and a mouse.

SpyOne
2022-08-04, 01:16 AM
My brother found an art-deco camera case for some sort of movie camera (with compartments for a tripod and other accessories) at a yard sale. It was made of steel covered with fabric.
The compartments were easily repurposed to hold dice and miniatures, while the main compartment held books, notes, and maps.
It was very well designed in that the top hinged open in two halves specifically to give access to the entire compartment while also giving access to the compartments in the lid and the whole thing was designed to remain stable while open.
It also latched up tight and had a sturdy handle to carry it by.

Cheesegear
2022-08-04, 02:07 AM

In my Duffel Bag that I use for two groups:
PHB, XGtE, TCE, SKT, TYP, MPMM, MM, DMG...So...8 books.
All of the GF9 Monster cards
The Arcane and Cleric GF9 spell cards
Adventure Grid
Ultimate Guard Deck Case...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_N6Idr4sv05nDGc_cIELYIfihoLw7C okgA6_Y59qth-STcQbZm2S-ily3NfqQgvLRyt4&usqp=CAU

...Which has my pens, markers, several bags of tokens, and initiative cards inside.

The bag has wheels and an extendable metal handle I drag it behind me.

I also have the big Games Workshop miniatures case that I carry all my Large and smaller* creatures inside that I can forsee, on my back.

Leaves me a free hand to open doors and get out spell components car keys.

*I have not found a good way to transport Huge and larger creatures...My biggest issue is that I need to keep the miniatures hidden, because they are in fact, massive spoilers just by looking at them. I could just walk into the session with Arveiaturace in my hands. Like 'Just carry it, dur.' Unfortunately, all my players would go 'OMG, an Ancient White Dragon, let's stock up on our Resistance spells...' Also I wouldn't get to see their faces when I dump the mini on the grid for the first time...It's basically my favourite thing.**

**I'm also a (amateur) commission painter. Seeing how people react to my paint jobs is unfortunately a dopamine hit I'm not willing to give up. :smalltongue:

icefractal
2022-08-04, 03:35 AM
I guess I GM fairly minimally? I have:
My notes for the session, including any stat blocks I expect to need.
Some blank pieces of paper to write / draw things on, pens, etc.
Dice for my own use, other people already bring their dice.

The host has figures and a map, for when they're applicable.
If they didn't, I'd bring some flat tokens, they don't take up much space.

For PF, no books. There's the SRD if we need to look something up.
For systems without that, I'd bring the core book if there's not already a copy there.

NRSASD
2022-08-04, 06:34 AM
Reusable grocery bag with:
*battle mat
*jar of wet erase pens and pencils
*tiny pads of note paper
*dice
*box of monster tokens
*smaller padded box of pc minis
*Players’ Handbook, Volo’s, Tasha’s, Xanathar’s, and the Homebrew handbook
*DM notes
*any other books that might be necessary

Heavy but portable

Shadurak
2022-08-04, 01:05 PM
Apart from going fully digital, our group has a designated battlemat bringer, designated figurine bringer and a designated bookkeeper. Division of labor is quite helpful. I only bring my laptop and my dice with me.

Easy e
2022-08-04, 01:52 PM
I bring a laptop bag with a laptop.

That's about it.

If the players want minis, battlemaps, books, dice, tokens, white boards, I leave that for them to bring.

TyGuy
2022-08-04, 02:55 PM
Don't over think it. School backpacks are designed for this scenario. You've got your main compartment for books and tablet/laptop. The auxiliary compartment for dice, wet erase markers, flat minis. And usually a small pouch for a protein bar.

KorvinStarmast
2022-08-04, 03:43 PM
And usually a small pouch for a protein bar.
Yes, in a pinch, but my previous remarks about pizza point toward 'how it oughta be done' :smallbiggrin:

Cheesegear
2022-08-04, 06:52 PM
And usually a small pouch for a protein bar.

I usually go for twiggy sticks* and cheese.

* The closest Americans have would be...Slim Jims? But I've also had a Slim Jim and they've got nothing on Australian twiggy sticks.

sktarq
2022-08-13, 04:16 PM
I generally manage with a laptop backpack. Or if we are in a scenarios that needs extra books I brings an additional laptop satchel style. The extra pockets hold any cords, dice, pens etc.

If however you want the whole schbang a large storage tote- the kind that are giant Tupperware style containers of plastic that people use for extra storage under the bed works well

SpyOne
2022-08-23, 06:48 AM
I have always had a problem of carrying things that I don't really need. I kinda over-embraced the Boy Scouts motto "be prepared".

When I was attending games held at a local game store, where there was a chance important people wouldn't show up for your game and you would wind up joining another, or you might pick up players when that happened to them, I would bring:
At least 2 sets of dice that I don't mind loaning out, plus the one for me.
A bunch of cheap mechanical pencils (McDonald's did a promotion with a free pencil with breakfast, and when that ended they threw out hundreds of them that somehow didn't make it to their dumpster.)
The rule books needed for character generation for all the most popular games.
And so on.

I had gotten sturdy plastic boxes that were meant for cases of soda, big enough for two rulebooks side-by-side and designed to stack. I would usually bring in a stack of three, and had more stuff in the car.

Don't be like me. Carry less. Figure out what the bare minimum is, and carry a few spares.

Asmotherion
2022-08-23, 07:58 AM
I know this is not what you want to hear, but to my experiance, the most easy way to organise this would be online.

If you absolutelly want to play in-person, may I add my two cents and suggest adding a Laptop to your kit, so you can use the countless useful online tools that exist? It's easy to carry around, and as long as you have an internet connection, you have access to most stuff. At least that's how I would do it.

Xuc Xac
2022-08-23, 05:35 PM
I use a small backpack. It holds a 6"x9" rulebook (Old School Essentials Classic Fantasy Rules Tome for all the D&D I need), an A5 notebook, a clipboard with a folding cover (which I use to hold maps and prop up as a screen when needed), a big bag of dice, pencils, and a big eraser.

I don't use minis. I make pencil marks on the map to say "Ok, the goblins are over here behind some rocks" or whatever. If exact positioning is necessary, I use extra dice as minis: "This sheet of paper is the room. I drew the doors here and here. Draco is the purple D4 and Chisel is the red D8. This stack of 8 white D6s are the gelatinous cube. These black D6s are the zombie elves. The 6 blue D6s in a 2x3 rectangle are the big table."

Vodahim
2022-08-23, 07:55 PM
That's the stuff my party used back in school's days :

A case from tabletop games :
Just be sure to take one that fit your needs.
For the spaces in it, you can buy a whole block of foam and cuts through it like you see fit. Some material companies (for construction) just throw them away, so you could maybe ask for some for free.
And make space dedicated to your decks, to your minis, dice and anything you want.

For the books, anytime I want to leave my house with one, I make sure that it is fully covered. And then it's into the bag pack with the delicious snacks. (We called them the offering to the DM, so if I had to run the game, I would let others buy them =p)

For the map, we used a flexible plastic sheet (that you can roll) with a grid and some markers.
After every dungeon, we just erase everything.
The DM always had his map on a laptop, but only draw the walls when we opened the door.

It was heavyly handcraft. Since we didn't have money but the job was done.

GreatDane
2022-08-25, 10:38 AM
One more for fairly minimal supplies:

Big Chessex battlemat
Dice
PHB
Notebook or 1/2" binder for adventure, notes, stats, etc.
iPad for monster illustrations or digital statblocks
Pencils and wet-erase markers

It all fits comfortably in one bag. As a DM, I don't use minis specifically because they take up too much space. Players bring PC minis if they want; monsters/NPCs are all d6s of various colors, or miscellaneous table objects for larger creatures. (I've used die capsules, water bottles, etc.)

Kurt Kurageous
2022-08-31, 02:25 PM
I put the stuff into a canvas sided rolling tool bag that I bought at Home Depot. It has external pockets and pouches and a cavernous primary cargo space lined by small pockets. I can fit core books, big 3" binder, a small tacklebox of monster miniatures, a box of dungeon tiles 10"x10"x1", and a bass fishing tray for PC minis. Dice fit in externals, condition cards in an interior pocket.

Sorta this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-19-in-STACK-ROLLING-TOOL-TOTE-1H-22820-EXO/315847602

Not cheap but effective.