PDA

View Full Version : Using both ends of a regular glaive

Aramis777
2022-07-31, 11:48 AM
Can you use the pommel/blunt end of a glaive as a weapon?
Or any polearm?

Building a Warblade neanderthal for a game, was curious, there's a few raptor manuvers that use two weapons

Metastachydium
2022-07-31, 12:41 PM
By polearm do you mean polearm or reach weapon? If the former, there's stuff like the Spinning HalberdCW style feat and stuff like dwarven double spears (costs fewer feats). If you mean reach weapon, well, I'm not sure.

Aramis777
2022-07-31, 12:43 PM
By polearm do you mean polearm or reach weapon? If the former, there's stuff like the Spinning HalberdCW style feat and stuff like dwarven double spears (costs fewer feats). If you mean reach weapon, well, I'm not sure.

Glaive I believe is considered a reach weapon......but would fall into the polearm category

Gruftzwerg
2022-07-31, 12:47 PM
Using the blunt side or pommel of a glaive would be using it as "improvised weapon" (see: Weapons (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm)) and thus imply a -4 penalty to hit.

Imho you are better advised to use Spiked Gautlets. They count as "armed" and you can use em with 2h-weapons together with the Two Weapon Fighting feats/rules (since taking a hand of a 2h weapon and grabbing it again is both a free action).

Ramza00
2022-07-31, 01:06 PM
Reflavor Spiked Gauntlets like Gruftzweg said. That is best.

There are several feats that do what you ask, and some magic items, but like was said earlier such feats are the same feat tax of improvised weapon vs a feat for martial weapon prof.

Pathfinder also has a weighted spear which is a quarter staff on one side and a spear on the other, no reach, 1d6 and 1d8, x2 and x3, b and s.

spectralphoenix
2022-07-31, 03:21 PM
Since the Glaive has reach and the Spiked Gauntlets/Haft Strike doesn't, you might have difficulty using both weapons against a single medium-sized opponent in the same attack.

Fizban
2022-07-31, 04:33 PM
Presuming you want something "RAW" or RAW-inspired, you might take a look at the chain weapons in Oriental Adventures: they have a mechanic where you choose whether they function as a reach weapon or a double weapon. This mechanic is perfectly appropriate for polearms (and indeed, rather inappropriate for chain weapons in my opinion).

Otherwise you just say- Haft strike: Any two-handed melee weapon can be wielded as a bludgeon against adjacent foes in lieu of its normal attack (1d6, x2).

Aramis777
2022-07-31, 06:03 PM
Since the Glaive has reach and the Spiked Gauntlets/Haft Strike doesn't, you might have difficulty using both weapons against a single medium-sized opponent in the same attack.

If I attacked them at the reach range, but I get ya

Gruftzwerg
2022-08-01, 12:22 AM
If I attacked them at the reach range, but I get ya

Dunno if you got this right (if I'm mistaken here, ignore the post..^^):
What he meant is, that with most "ranged weapons" you can sole attack at range and not those squares who are directly contacting your square. The "Spiked Chain" (exotic weapon, thus feat needed) is a range weapon that can also be used to the squares directly in contact with your square.

A normal reach weapon like a glaive and the spiked gauntlet will never be able to attack the same target unless you make a 5ft step between your attacks to reposition.

Particle_Man
2022-08-01, 12:32 AM
A bit out there but quarterstaff is pole shaped at least, and it can certainly be used as a double weapon.