PDA

View Full Version : Types of items that cast spells

Harrow
2022-07-31, 11:47 PM
Sorry if there's already a thread for this somewhere, I wasn't sure how to word the question to be able to find it, if it exists. I'm looking for a complete list of magic items that just cast a spell. In core, you've got potions (and oils), scrolls, wands, staffs, and guidelines for wondrous items that activate on a command word. Magical traps, too, I guess. Then you've got skull talismans from frostburn, crafted contingent spells from complete arcane, eternal wands from the eberron campaign setting (reprinted in the magic item compendium), and minor schemas from magic of eberron. Also, complete arcane gives us the spellstitched template that can be added to corporeal undead.

I'm not even sure if these are what I'm looking for, but for the sake of completeness, I'll add items that can store spells to be cast later. Back in core, we have spell-storing weapons and the ring of spell-storing. Magic item compendium add glyph seals and their greater variant. Those aside, runesmiths from races of stone can make runes that they can share with others that can be activated to cast spells. There are also runestaffs from the magic item compendium, which require you to supply the necessary spell slots, but you don't actually have to have the spell prepared or known.

Are there any that I'm missing? Did pathfinder add any new and interesting (or at least anything similar to what I'm looking for)?

Saintheart
2022-08-01, 12:05 AM
There's also the other type of runes, from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Can store divine spells rather than arcane, much more flexible and ab/useable than Runesmith runes.

Also, Domain Staves, the divine equivalent of Runestaves. Domain Staves store the spells of a domain. From Complete Champion if I remember right.

Fizban
2022-08-01, 02:51 AM
Drow House Insignia, found most recently and cheaply in Drow of the Underdark, which have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level spell 1/day.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-08-01, 04:34 AM
Spell-to-Power Erudite means any Psionic item (Dorjes, Power Stone, Psicrowns, but most importantly Psionic Tattoos) can theoretically hold a spell instead.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-08-04, 01:08 PM
Just found that (https://web.archive.org/web/20200314182834/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Fpsm%2F20011123b). Like a dorje, but up to 9th level.

Tiktakkat
2022-08-04, 06:31 PM
Specific Item Crafting Feats

Spell Completion
Scrolls (PHB)
Power Stones (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
Minor Schema (Eberron Campaign Setting)

Use Activated/Triggered
Potions (PHB)
Tattoo Magic (Races of Faerun)
Skull Talisman (Frostburn)
Martial Script (Tome of Battle, for martial adept maneuvers)
Psionic Tattoo (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
Attune Gem (Magic of Faerun)
Inscribe Rune (Player's Guide to Faerun)
Contingent Spell (Complete Arcane)
Spell Mantle (improves a contingent spell)
Psionic Seal (Mind's Eye, 3E, online)

Spell Trigger
Wand (PHB)
Scepter (Lost Empires of Faerun)
Staff (PHB) (includes Runestaff and Domain Staff)
Dorje (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
Drilbu (Mind's Eye, online)
Psicrown (Expanded Psionics Handbook)

Command Word, Continuous, and use Activated
Wondrous Item (PHB)
Universal Item (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
Magic Arms and Armor (PHB, if you put the right ability on it)
Psionic Arms and Armor (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
Craft Cognizance Crystal (Expanded Psionics Handbook, a pearl of power for psionics)
Portal (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, only casts teleport, immobile)
Rune Circle (Races of Stone, immobile)
Rod (PHB)
Ring (PHB)
Craft Construct (MM, some have spell abilities)
Craft Psionic Construct (Expanded Psionics Handbook, theoretically one could have spell abilities)

Weirdness
Bind Elemental (Eberron Campaign Setting)
Aboleth Glyph (Lords of Madness, aboleth only)
Crystal Weaponry (Oriental Adventures, to overcome Shadowlands DR)
Grell Alchemy (Lords of Madness, grell only, sort of spell effects)
Grafts (Fiend Folio, Lords of Madness, Races of the Dragon, Magic of Eberron, Serpent Kingdoms, Underdark, some racial limits, some have spell effects)
Infusions (Masters of the Wild - 3E, sort of scrolls for druids)
Talismans (Oriental Adventures, sort of potions but as knickknacks, theoretically only for shugenja)
Sanctify Relic (Complete Divine, makes special items with ridiculous discounts but limited selection and requires DM approval for new ones)

Special Bonus Cheese For Crafters
Enhance Item (Epic Level Handbook but NOT tagged as an epic feat, let's the creator use his full ability score modifier for an item's save DC instead of the default minimum)