PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Deity Switch and One on One Session with PC

virtualslayer22
2022-08-01, 05:57 PM
Hello Fellow Adventurers,

I have recently started DMing for the first time (three mini sessions under my belt), but I have gotten more into home-brew sandbox type of play with things. Long story short, we are running a pirate themed adventure. We have been running one shots (level 4, 8, and 12) because a few players are new to the game, and the true campaign will start at level 16.

This being said, the most experienced player in the group (and our typical DM) approached me with a character arc. He started as a Cleric who worshipped Umberlee, but wanted to make a switch to Valkur. We concocted a plan to do this in game during our most recent session. After a long battle at sea, they were threatened by a Giant Water Elemental. In a last ditch effort, the cleric used Divine Intervention (planned by he and I) to summon Umberlee to save the entire group. She instead (due to a bad roll), rose up with a Kraken arm and demolished their boat. In one fell swoop she also reduced the cleric to 0 hit points and took him under the waves with her, while the others were snatched up by the elemental and taken to the ship they were attacking.

This brings me to the one on one I plan on doing with the Cleric player. Of course the rest of the players think his character is toast - and the end of the session ended on quite an awkward and sour note lol. Little do they know, he is not dead.

I am looking for advice on how to remedy him 1) switching deities and 2) getting back onto the ship where the others are being held captive.

General thoughts: Umberlee will give him an opportunity to atone for his transgressions and "sins" against her. Perhaps by being given the opportunity to betray the party. But if he doesn't, then the captain of the ship (a necromancer) will sacrifice him to Umberlee and then raise him from the dead to have a very powerful undead cleric on his crew.

Any tips, suggestions, or general advice would be greatly appreciated. Running a session for one character seems daunting, but I know it will be fun as the PC is a DM himself and is very forgiving and helpful.