PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Under Protection from Evil + Sundering...

cython
2022-08-01, 07:02 PM
A quick question.

Let's assume that an enemy caster summons a Huge earth elemental, which has an "Improved Sunder" feat against an enemy, let's assume it is a fighter, that is under the "Protection from Evil" spell.

Obviously, the earth elemental cannot attack the fighter under the "Protection from Evil" since they will come in contact with each other.

However, can the earth elemental attack the fighter's weapons?

The particular spell is really good, providing some buffs and mental protection for the spell's duration. The third type of protection is the following:

Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good summoned creatures are immune to this effect. The protection against contact by summoned creatures ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or tries to force the barrier against the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.

The emphasis is mine...

Let me know your thoughts on this one...

Edit: spelling

Crake
2022-08-01, 09:31 PM
Generally spells cover a creatures attended items, otherwise protection from evil would be rather useless unless the target was naked. “I’m not hitting you, I’m hitting your armor” for example.

cython
2022-08-01, 09:37 PM
Many thanks for your reply. I suspected as much, but I wanted to be sure.