PDA

View Full Version : A crazy new theory about the relationship between the IFCC and the MitD

Ginasius
2022-08-02, 04:28 AM
Or, at least, I think it's new. But, of course, I haven't been on this forum every day for the last ten or twelve years, so I could be wrong.

We know that Varsuviuus and O-Chul were able to escape when they were about to be killed by Xykon thanks to a mysterious teleportation, or a magical trick superficially similar to teleportation.

We deduce from the way the comic is told that the cause of this "teleportation" was the MitD, who didn't want his friend O-Chul to die. This has served to expand the monster's range of powers in an attempt to find out what kind of creature it is. But what if the monster doesn't have that power, but achieved that escape by drawing on someone else's powers?

On the other hand, we know that the IFCC, which has enormous powers, could not have been interested in the death of Vaarsuvius, whom it had just recruited. It would have been a wasted investment.

What if V. and O-Chul's escape was caused by the IFCC?

How could the IFCC do this without breaking a number of non-interference rules that we know limit their actions in the normal world?

My theory:

What if the Monster was at some point granted a wish by the IFCC?

That could have happened at that exact second when V and O Chul were about to die, because we know that the offer and acceptance process does not happen in real time. (Advanced Time Stop Effect: Strip 632, penultimate vignette of the comic (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0632.html)) Of course, the Giant hasn't shown us that in the comic, but he doesn't have to.

It may even have happened much earlier. I suppose a being with Xykon's (or Redcloak's) powers would have detected something odd if one of his prisoner-servants was in dealings with the IFCC but this could have happened when the monster was in the jungle, or at the circus:

"Look, monster, we are not going to grant you a wish for more stew, but if someday in the distant future someone you love is in danger we grant you that you can ask to be teleported to their starting point. Do you accept?"

BTW, this would open up new theories about MitD's debt to IFCC and how (and when) it would be repaid.

brian 333
2022-08-02, 07:28 AM
That would really make the guys on the Guess MitD's Species threads mad.

The MunchKING
2022-08-02, 07:37 AM
If he knew it was a wish from a deal with the IFCC, why he spend an indeterminate amount of time trying to replicate the effects (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0699.html)?

Psyren
2022-08-02, 02:51 PM
IIRC in his commentary, Rich makes it clear that whatever happened in the Escape scene, the power came from MitD.

Metastachydium
2022-08-03, 12:51 PM
So? Don't forget that the Giant could be lying, and even if he weren't, he might still be wrong about his own work![/s]

Dame_Mechanus
2022-08-03, 02:47 PM
So? Don't forget that the Giant could be lying, and even if he weren't, he might still be wrong about his own work![/s]

Belkar is actually well on his way to Lawful Good, the goblins are actually fine and not disadvantaged, the MitD is actually O-Chul's son, and Xykon likes life and puppies but he's working undercover! It's all so simple!

Peelee
2022-08-03, 02:55 PM
Belkar is actually well on his way to Lawful Good, the goblins are actually fine and not disadvantaged, the MitD is actually O-Chul's son, and Xykon likes life and puppies but he's working undercover! It's all so simple!

I can't believe you missed that O-Chul is Fyron's son.

Fyraltari
2022-08-03, 03:02 PM
I can't believe you missed that O-Chul is Fyron's son.

I thought he was Redcloak's niece?

Peelee
2022-08-03, 03:03 PM
I thought he was Redcloak's niece?

No, that's Belkar.

Fyraltari
2022-08-03, 03:20 PM
No, that's Belkar.

But, he's Sabine in disguise!

Metastachydium
2022-08-03, 03:23 PM
and Xykon likes life and puppies but he's working undercover

So… Xykon is really Thog. He's always been Thog. That explains everything!

But, he's Sabine in disguise!

Oh, I see! You haven't been paying attention! You see, Sabine doesn't exist.

Fyraltari
2022-08-03, 03:29 PM

But then, who did Miko disguise herself as to infiltrate the IFCC?

Metastachydium
2022-08-03, 03:33 PM
But then, who did Miko disguise herself as to infiltrate the IFCC?

Cedrik's college buddy (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0640.html). The "succubus"? That was Oona (who's really Serini).

brian 333
2022-08-03, 07:57 PM
Okay, enough with the crazy conspiracy theories that don't make sense. Everyone knows the whole thing is a story being read to a sick child while her mother is at work, and at the end the storyteller wakes up and realizes it was all a dream, and there's no place like Nome.

The MunchKING
2022-08-03, 11:17 PM
Alaska? Many questions, but this one specifically.

Crimsonmantle
2022-08-04, 12:34 AM
Alaska? Many questions, but this one specifically.
Doesn't exist either.

Emanick
2022-08-04, 10:46 PM
Doesn't exist either.

Alaska exists. You're probably thinking of Australia, the mythical Alaskan town where everyone walks around upside down because that part of Alaska hangs down onto the underside of the Earth. Oh, and also all the animals who live in town there are hella poisonous.

Jervis
2022-08-06, 11:00 PM
So… Xykon is really Thog. He's always been Thog. That explains everything!

He’s Thog from the future who traveled to modern day earth to steal Ed Greenwood’s contract in order to become a Lich! What else is as strong and unbreakable for a Phylactery? The flashback we saw for RC and Xykon’s backstory is the result of Xykon using a epic level modify memory (global).