PDA

View Full Version : Zealot/mercy multiclass?

Spacehamster
2022-08-03, 12:04 PM
With tortle race and starting with Barb 1 then straight 5 mercy monk, 3 more levels barb for zealot subclass and 1 more rage, reckless attacks, then rest in mercy monk. Feats/ASI in order: GWM, slasher, Max STR, + 2 WIS, +2 WIS.

Starting ability scores with point buy and tortle racials:
17/13/14/9/14/8, after ASI’s: 20/13/14/9/18/8.

At level 9 with 5 monk 4 barb you do with rage and flurry using GWM and a greatsword: 4d6 +32 + 1d6 +2 + 2d4 +12 + 1d6 +2(hands of harm and zealot extra dice is in the calculation and attacking recklessly + using the GWM + 10 on greatsword attacks)

Anyone tried anything like this? Not optimal for sure but should be quite functional. + with the slasher feat you are Slash from TMNT! :p

Psyren
2022-08-03, 12:34 PM
I would check with your DM on the Tortle claws; while monk unarmed strikes can generally be made with any part of their body, they may rule that the claw unarmed strikes need your hands, which are occupied with the greatsword. See if they will let you state that there are also claws on your feet.

Otherwise from that I think it's an interesting idea.

Spacehamster
2022-08-03, 12:41 PM
I would check with your DM on the Tortle claws; while monk unarmed strikes can generally be made with any part of their body, they may rule that the claw unarmed strikes need your hands, which are occupied with the greatsword. See if they will let you state that there are also claws on your feet.

Otherwise from that I think it's an interesting idea.

Mostly brainstorming build but if not allowed you can just hold the greatsword with one hand after the attack action and swipe with your now unoccupied claw. :) but tortles have claws on their feet as far as I know and monk strikes can be made with knees, fists, elbows & feet so should not be a problem with most GM’s I think. :)

gaxmarland
2022-08-03, 12:46 PM
To me Mercy gets best at level 6, so I would get there as fast possible.

Psyren
2022-08-03, 12:48 PM
Mostly brainstorming build but if not allowed you can just hold the greatsword with one hand after the attack action and swipe with your now unoccupied claw. :) but tortles have claws on their feet as far as I know and monk strikes can be made with knees, fists, elbows & feet so should not be a problem with most GM’s I think. :)

It's true that you don't need your racial claws to make the unarmed attacks at all, but that does change your damage since you're not allowed to benefit from the Martial Arts boost while wielding a heavy weapon. (You can still flurry though.) So ideally you'd want the claws every time.

As for changing handedness mid-attack sequence, that's another one I'd check on.

Spacehamster
2022-08-03, 12:49 PM
To me Mercy gets best at level 6, so I would get there as fast possible.

Aye but think at least for me I would not want to delay slasher and 18 STR by an additional level for the 6th level feature tho. :)

Urbanmech
2022-08-03, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately, you can’t use Martial Arts while wielding a Heavy weapon. Hands of Harm also requires a unarmed strike so you cannot use that either with the greatsword.

You could sub one of the greatsword attacks for a Tortle claw attack and then use Hands of Harm with that. So you could do 2d6+Str+10+1d6+Str+Monk Die+Wis+1d6+2. With a potential bonus attack with the greatsword if you critical or drop a foe. Looks like I read flurry wrong and you can still use that while wielding a Heavy weapon so you can still stack those attacks on there too.

Spacehamster
2022-08-03, 12:56 PM
Unfortunately, you can’t use Martial Arts while wielding a Heavy weapon. Hands of Harm also requires a unarmed strike so you cannot use that either with the greatsword.

You could sub one of the greatsword attacks for a Tortle claw attack and then use Hands of Harm with that. So you could do 2d6+Str+10+1d6+Str+Monk Die+Wis+1d6+2. With a potential bonus attack with the greatsword if you critical or drop a foe. Looks like I read flurry wrong and you can still use that while wielding a Heavy weapon so you can still stack those attacks on there too.

Can hands of harm with a flurry unarmed attack tho no which works with a heavy weapon

animorte
2022-08-03, 04:40 PM
monk strikes can be made with knees, fists, elbows & feet

Don’t forget the noggin!