PDA

View Full Version : High Level PCs vs BBEG or When the PCs know that they can use all their resources

nickl_2000
2022-08-03, 02:46 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the first time we have gone into a known battle with the BBEG in a known place while completely fresh.

We had had 1 encounter prior to this and burned through a spell each in there (at 15th level). So, we were all basically fresh and were moving onto the BBEG who was stuck in a particular room (plot reason) and once he was beaten the curse of the castle we were fighting in would be lifted (major known plot device IC).

Let me tell you, it is fun when as a party you don't need to worry about conserving resources for later battles and go all out! In round 1 we dropped a fully charged Delayed Blast Fireball, Blade Barriered the position the BBEG was dragged back to at the end of each turn, set a Wall of Fire around the place he went back to, dropped a synaptic static on the BBEG and minions, and the hasted Paladin wielding the MacGuffin artifact Longsword went nuts with smites.

Man, I have never seen a party wade through an encounter faster than this one. Within round 1 the BBEG and nearly all the minions were reduced to ash. Round 2 was just cleaning up the last minion who went the long way around to get to us. Man that was so much fun.

(Note, we nearly died 5-6 times clearing the sub-BBEGs to weaken the BBEG and managed to roll well to find the secret door to the MacGuffin prior to this battle instead of after it, so this was more fun cleaning up rather than a disappointing final battle).